“DIRTY CAPITAL HILTON!”
Review of Capital Hilton

Capital Hilton
Ranked #98 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
Reviewed 9 May 2016 via mobile

This review is for the capital Hilton in Washington DC. We visited on May 9 of 2016. We were unaware of their very high parking fees, valet parking is $56 plus tax per night. We opted to park in the street which is free overnight but after 7 AM you have to pay the meter. I understand it is Washington DC but $56 for parking per day is a lot when only a few feet away is a public parking garage the charges $14 per day. As we walked into the lobby it looked great very nice as is the rest of the hotel. However the cleanliness of the rooms is something else. When I walked into the room it seemed OK at first but if you look around it is covered in dust, the baseboards have a very thick layer of dust and dirt as do the coffee cups and anything else that requires reaching down or above your line of sight. We had allergies all night long. The TV was a nice flat screen however there was no remote and we decided not to watch TV since it was late and did not want to wait for a remote. I went to the bathroom and as soon as I entered the drain in the bathtub was completely taken apart and needed to be worked on. The bed was huge, it was a king bed and looked great, it looked very comfortable, the sheets covers and pillows all looked ok, however, The mattress is rock hard and seems to have a very thin mattress topper... four hours later after waking up, my back still hurts.

Thank you very much Capital Hilton for helping me gain an appreciation for other hotels.

Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (3,261)

Reviewed 9 May 2016

This is a great hotel, with a great location and a fantastic gym (by hotel standards). The staff is uneven, though. I recently had to call room service FOUR TIMES and no one picked up. I finally called the front desk, who, in turn, called the room service folks. They simply said they were "very busy." On another visit, when my room key failed to work, I used the phone in the elevator lobby on my floor to call the front desk to save myself from schlepping with my bags back to the lobby. No ONE ANSWERED the phone!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
DavidPiscola, General Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2016

Dear Barry G,

Thank You for taking a moment to share with me your experience from your recent stay. I sincerely apologize we were not able to provide you with the quality of service you deserve. This is uncharacteristic of our hotel and staff. Please be confident that I will follow-up on the points you have outlined. The time taken along with the effort made to share your comments with us is most appreciated. Feedback from our guests is vitally important in our mission to be the first choice of the world’s travelers. We are hopeful that you will afford us the opportunity to provide lodging services in the future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should I be of further assistance to you.

Reviewed 9 May 2016

We checked into the Hilton on Friday and it was quick and easy. The lady at the front desk was so efficient and cheerful!. She made checking in so effortless.

This hotel is walking distance to everything. You can walk to see Obama at the White House, it is a short 5 minute walk through Lafayette Park. We even walked to Chinatown where there are so many great restaurants and even got tickets to a playoff game while we were there.

The beds are so comfortable you don't want to get out of them. They have all the amenities that a luxury hotel has.

This hotel has all the luxury at a affordable price. We love staying at the Hilton and will do so again!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Diana D

Dear

Thank You for sharing your recent Capital Hilton experience. I'm delighted our location and cheerful staff left a lasting impression on you.

We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 8 May 2016

I made reservations at the Capital Hilton a week before my business trip. I had not been to DC in years and chose the hotel because the room rate was one of the better ones I found and it was close to the airport and my meeting location.

Very easy taxi ride from airport to the hotel. The front desk staff was friendly and professional. I was happy when I opened my room door and had a huge room with two queen beds (4th floor). The room was very clean and spacious. I had three windows with two offering a view. As one window overlooked 16th St. I was worried about noise at night, but the bed was so comfy I slept great and didn't hear a thing all night.

The hotel is in a great location and I would consider staying here again when I return with my family for a sightseeing trip. Food is very expensive in the hotel but there are great places to eat within easy walking distance. DC is not an inexpensive town, but as the hotel is so convenient to local historical attractions, I am willing to pay more for convenience.

Overall, great stay!

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
DavidPiscola, General Manager at Capital Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2016

Dear Ellen R R,

Thank You for sharing your recent Capital Hilton experience. I'm delighted our location and spacious guest room left a lasting impression on you.

We look forward to your return!

Reviewed 7 May 2016

We did stay for 2 nights at the end of our US trip in January 2016. Let’s start from location – it is really perfect: right in the heart of DC, steps from White House (which even can be seen with side view from certain rooms) and many other attractions – you can't ask for more. Lobby is very beautiful and spacious. At check-in I did have to fight with young front desk lady for Executive floor room (which I’m entitled to as HHonors Gold member), she was not very welcoming and I would say irritated and keep telling me they do not have those rooms, which was not true as booking engine was showing plenty available. At the end she gave us room on Executive floor, however when we entered it I was shocked – probably it was the smallest room in the hotel. (you will see pictures). As Executive lounge is no longer on higher floors (it moved recently to new place near main lobby area) so called Executive floors really doesn’t make sense any longer as long as you have Executive lounge access you can stay at any floor. So I did go back to reception and asked other lady to change our room, that another person was much better trained and much more client-oriented and we received very nice room on another floor (to add later we were in contact also with Russian speaking member of front staff - apologies forgot her name and she was indeed helpful and always very polite). New room was huge with separate sitting area (with big sofa), bathroom was of good size and with all amenities you would expect from Hilton. Executive Lounge: far from being the best of Hilton lounges I visited, while still you can have something to eat during evening hours and also soft drinks and coffee/tea are available during the day. All alcohol drinks are against additional fee. Breakfast serve in the lunch is with very limited choice and one of the worst Lounge breakfasts I saw in Hiltons. Saying this main breakfast (which we tried on the second morning) although much better was also far from being ideal – it obviously had much more choices however lacking basic things (e.g. no vegetables at all). So overall we were expecting much better breakfast from 4star Hilton in the center of DC. Wi-Fi is of good quality and was free as for HHonors members. Service – overall average, while as stated above, heavily depends on personalities. Summarizing, can recommend the hotel for stays in the heart of DC if the price is reasonable for your dates (as it was for ours).

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear VitaliyS,

Thank You for providing specific feedback from your stay. I'm delighted you enjoyed our location. The time taken along with the effort made to share your comments with us is most appreciated. Feedback from our guests is vitally important in our mission to be the first choice of the world’s travelers. We are hopeful that you will afford us the opportunity to provide lodging services in the future.