Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Melissa B

Perfect Home Base for Vacation

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 3 Aug 2021
Room was amazing. Separate bathroom & dressing room. Full kitchen with dishes/cookware. Staff was gracious, helpful. So close to National Mall made walking easy. Centralized locations make for cheap Uber if you are in a hurry. Yet, only 5 blks from subway stop for cheap travel. Plenty of restaurants close by the hotel. George Washington University next door - so University Police close by. Groceries and liquor store next door!
Trip type: Travelled with family
    AU$606
0.8 km from State Plaza Hotel
View more hotels in Washington DC
2,348 results
All reviews dressing room lincoln memorial full kitchen north tower foggy bottom garden cafe bag of ice white house separate kitchen dressing area within walking distance stove top whole foods minute walk kennedy center few blocks hotel room
Selected filters
Reviewed 1 August 2021

I gave it 4 stars ONLY because some of the furniture -literally the side tables and console -- need to be upgraded. The bathroom was literally the cleanest bathroom I have ever seen. The room was spotless. The location was perfect for me: I needed to be near the Passport Agency. The front desk was a pleasure. The small hotel restaurant had a great breakfast. The bed was comfy. The neighborhood was safe. Great value!

• Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank nycneo411
Reviewed 1 August 2021

We stayed at the State Plaza Hotel for 2 nights. We booked 2 rooms. One for myself and my fiancé, and one for my daughter and her boyfriend. We arrived before my daughter and requested to have my daughter on the same floor if possible. They said it was no problem. We were assigned a room on the first floor. My daughter checked in about 15-20 minutes later, and they received a room on the 5th floor. Maybe the front desk forgot... that was fine, my daughter is an adult and doesn't need her mom nearby, we just thought it'd be convenient.

Pros:
*Check in was quick and easy.
*The rooms were large and they were very clean. There are kitchens in their suites if you think it would be worth the extra for one. We did not have a suite.
*The staff is friendly. From the desk clerks to housekeeping, they always greeted you with a smile.
*Small, but very clean and nice gym with updated equipment (my daughter was grateful for this)
*Walkable to the National Mall (My daughter and her boyfriend did this)
*Food options within walking distance
*Very reasonably priced

Cons :
*Parking. More on this below... but this is a MAJOR con.
*They need air conditioning in the bathroom! Leaving the bathroom door open helps but the door needs to be closed at night to keep the morning light out of the hotel room. There are no curtains on the bathroom’s large window and the door is glass, but it’s frosted and diffuses a lot of the light...Still it gets bright in the room when the sun comes up. I like it dark when I sleep so that was a little annoying. In the morning it's really hot in the bathroom, then I have to shower and blow dry my hair with the door closed because my fiancé is still sleeping. It was sweltering in there!
My daughter's room was worse. Her bathroom was larger than ours. It had a short hallway with a vanity/mirror before the bathroom portion, so the air never made it down that hallway. When we were in DC it was in the 80s and 90s so keeping the window open wasn't an option. I don't know who would design a bathroom without air in it, no fan... nothing circulating.
*No security. The outside doors by the northside garage have automatic doors that state “This door is locked from 5:00 pm to 7:00 am. Your room key will permit access” These doors were never locked at any time. You walk up to them and they open so you have free access to both the hotel, and the garage.
*There were 2 elevators but one was out of order the whole time we were there.
*There is no handicapped parking, however, they did make space for electric cars which they would not allow me to park in.
**This did not apply to us, but for anyone who is wheelchair dependent, it doesn't appear that this is a handicapped friendly hotel. Both main entrances have stairs to the elevators, no ramps. And although the ground (garage level) floor is accessible from outside, you would have to go around the building down a long alleyway and navigate the incline of the driveway to get to that level in order to access the ground level doors and the elevators inside.
I wouldn’t recommend this hotel to a wheelchair dependent person.

Minor Cons:
Although the rooms are large, there is only one comfortable chair to sit in. There is also a desk with a desk chair (not comfortable). Considering the size of the room (King room) there should be another chair, or even a loveseat, so 2 people can sit and relax after a long day out.
The TV is a flat screen, but a little small and old. It was difficult to turn on, we needed to call someone up to help us. And, we found out later, so did my daughter and her boyfriend. So it must have been something unusual with their TV. It never did get a "great picture". It was a bit grainy. We weren't there to watch TV, but it annoyed my fiancé who likes to watch the evening news.
No ice machine, but if you called the front desk they'll bring up a bag for you. Luckily another guest told me this because I wasn't informed on check in. My daughter was told to go next door to CVS :/

This was our major problem with the hotel which would keep us from ever returning and caused me to give it such a low rating. This is lengthy so I apologize ahead of time.
My fiancé can't walk far distances. He has a problem with his leg and arthritis in his back. When choosing a hotel I call first to specifically ask if there is parking on-site. I called and was told there was on-site here for $38 per night. Parking and location were the deciding factors of choosing the State Plaza Hotel. After check-in I was led by a member of the staff, Alex, to the north building underground garage and parked. At this hotel you must call to be let into the garage. When leaving the doors are automatic.
About 3:30pm we left in my car to explore.
Later when we returned tired from our day out (it was over 90 degrees that day) we called the front desk to park and were told there were no more spots available and needed to go to an "alternate" garage. This garage was off-site and belongs to another property. I was told they can use "some" spots there for their overflow. I was never told this could happen and was not happy about it as I specifically asked for "on site" parking. I left my fiancé at the hotel because this other garage was around the next block and he was already tired and feeling a little pain from our day out and not up to walking it (We did have the handicap hang tag, but this hotel didn't have handicap parking options so it didn't matter). Alex showed up to lead me to this parking garage since they have to let you in, and I walked back alone, but at least there was still daylight.
Later that night we went out for dinner (we wanted to go out a little earlier but it was pouring rain and I didn’t want to get soaked walking to the off-site parking).. the same thing upon return, no on-site parking, so I had to park off site again, this time waking back alone, in the dark.
The next morning I went to get my car and was told by the front desk the off-site garage would be open. There was an attendant at the garage I'd hadn't seen before. He asked me if I was checking out and I told him no. He asked again as if I didn't understand him and I again said "No, I'm not checking out". He asked what I was doing, I told him I was getting my car. He asked AGAIN if I was checking out. I was annoyed by now and told him I'm not sure what you mean by checking out, but I'm getting my car and will be back later. To which he replied "You're not checking out?". I said NO, that's why I said I'm not checking out. He then said "well when you check out you have to tell me so we can charge you". I can't tell you how annoyed I was becoming. He then went on to tell me I shouldn't have been parked where I was.... I informed him very clearly... "I had NO choice where to park because the attendant from my hotel told me this was the ONLY spot I could park in." He said I was taking up a spot meant for other cars. At this point I ignored anything he said, got in my car and left. I picked up my fiancé waiting for me in the lobby, and asked to speak to a manager. The woman there, Kim, said she was the manager so I explained everything that happened above, and my displeasure that I specifically asked about on-site parking before booking and it's not what I received. And to make things worse I was now getting an attitude from this parking attendant. Kim listened and apologized and promised I would have a reserved spot until I checked out. I thanked her and left.
When we returned late afternoon and called the front desk to be let into the garage, as promised, there was a spot reserved for me.
When we left later for dinner, seeing how the attendant had a cone in our spot to reserve it, we got the cone and put it back in our spot for later.
When we returned later and called to be let in Alex came to the car and informed us there were no spots again. He said he didn't realize we would be “stepping out again”. I told him we had put the cone back in our spot and didn't he realize that my bright blue sports car wasn't in that spot when he took the cone away to park another car? This is a 12 car parking garage and my car surely stands out. He apologized and wanted to put me off site again. I reminded him that Kim promised to keep a spot reserved. My fiancé, at this point, was getting pretty angry. He wasn't happy that I would be walking alone in the dark again (it was past 10pm now) and he wanted to walk with me.
As we were discussing this Alex announced he'd put me in the "other garage". We were unaware of a third garage which is apparently under the other side of the State Plaza hotel, and has an elevator that leads up to the main lobby area and I can walk, inside the hotel, to my room. Why this wasn't offered before, I don't know.
This was our last night here and I was so relieved. What a ridiculous, frustrating situation.

According to the hotel's website they have 241 rooms. The north building's garage holds 12 cars. The other side of the building's garage, about 8-10 cars. I understand that many people don't go to DC with cars, and all the rooms aren't filled at all times... but if you can't even accommodate a tenth of the number of your rooms for parking, Do NOT tell people you have onsite parking. At any given time there were cars parked in the driveway of the on-site garages. We had to wait for someone to come and move one at one time because we couldn't get passed it. The parking situation was a mess, at least when we were there, and we stayed mid-week. It made an otherwise fairly pleasant experience at their hotel frustrating and annoying.

I waited for the pending to fall off my credit card before leaving this review and I see I was only charged for one night of parking ($38) instead of two. Fair I guess since I did get to park overnight on-site one of the nights. However, I do think considering the frustration we were put through, a better gesture would have been to not charge us at all for the parking.

I appreciate anyone who's made it to the end of this review. It's a long one. I hope it was informative and helps someone with their hotel decision.

Room tip: Definitely check to see if the bathroom has air!
2  Thank FBH611
Reviewed 30 July 2021

I was in the hotel for two weeks for work. I found it to be a very good service especially because my room was very spacious, it had a kitchen and everything worked ok. The front desk staff were not very helpful, but Gerald in particular and all the bellmen were very helpful in any need. When I arrived David received me at the Front Desk and solved everything I needed, he was even able to choose a room with more light and comfort as I had booked from my country. It would be great if the hotel had some food service! Excellent place for a working stay in Washington DC !!

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2021 via mobile

Terrific hotel located in walking distance to the National Mall. Rooms were very functional. Spacious bedroom with bonus of a full kitchen, all for a very good rate. I definitely recommend the parking package (as DC street parking is horrendous). Suggestion for the hotel: please add a nite light to the bathroom as the room is very bright; wakes you up on a nightly visit. Visitors to DC: don’t pass up a stay at this hotel!

Room tip: DC street parking in general is horrendous. Book the hotel’s Park and Stay package.
Date of stay: July 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2021

This is a really old hotel and that doesn't add to its charm. The bathrooms have been renovated and are fine, but it smells like an old building and our room had fleas or bedbugs. The bellmen do a great job, but the front desk workers are only okay - not overly helpful. I'll look for another place to stay next trip to Washington.

Room tip: If you stay here, ask for a room on the top floors so you don't smell the mold so bad.
1  Thank robertv179