“Good price, good room, good location.”
Review of Hotel Lombardy

Hotel Lombardy
Ranked #40 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
London, United Kingdom
“Good price, good room, good location.”
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Well located on Pennsylvania Avenue about a 15 minute walk from the White House, Hotel Lombardy was clean, comfortable and very reasonably priced. The food in their restaurant was also good. It was a shame breakfast wasn't included in the room price.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
LombardyGM, General Manager at Hotel Lombardy, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback! We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the near future!

P.S. On your next visit, you can book your room on our website where we offer a room rate package that does include breakfast!

See you soon,

Corrado Palenzona

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Hungarian first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I booked the Hotel Lombardy for a 3-day President's Day weekend in D.C. as part of a birthday present for my boyfriend. We had a King Superior room facing Pennsylvania. For 2 people in their late-30's who are used to staying in hostels, the room appeared to be lovely and the bed had a copious amount of pillows, which made me very happy. The lighting wiring left something to be desired, though. The bathroom lighting was darker than my favorite dive bar, and all the lamps in the room had a disconcerting strobe light-effect, turning on and off at will. Again, a comfortable bed is all that we really needed, but it was a little odd to brush your teeth and attempt to get ready for the day to the tune of a 10 watt bulb. Parking was interesting. We drove from Brooklyn and the terms of the "Services and Amenities" section of the hotel's website stated that parking was $28.00 per night. Obviously, this is not inexpensive, but seemed relatively on par with most D.C. overnight parking (if not a little less), so why not? Well, interestingly enough, since Friday, February 17th, the parking rate has been taken off of the website (I was hoping to link to it but, lo and behold, it is no longer there, though I do have a printout of the page) and is now $40.00 a night as quoted by the first staff member who greeted our less-than-pristine 1998 Honda Accord. When we inquired as to other options, he said that there was a lot "down there, next corner, on the left" that is $30.00 a night. Then, as I was checking in, an extremely aggressive staff member approached me as I was checking in and started pointing out the window at the car and repeatedly asking me if that was my car ("is that your car...is that your car...is that your car?"). I said, "Yes, and that is my companion in the driver's seat", and he ran out the door and started harassing my boyfriend. It was very difficult to understand this staff member in any language (and, between us, we can translate quite a few languages, but this was just a series of points and grunts, of which neither of us is fluent). The staff member was in the process of trying to open the passenger-side doors when I exited Hotel Lombardy with our room keys (note: the front desk staff is wonderful; it is only the valet/door service that is creepy) and, after practically having to push the valet/doorman out of the way to get into my car, finally was able to open the door, at which point he ran around to the driver's side and CONTINUED to try to get into the car. What the heck? At this point, we decided not to park with the hotel simply on principal of the rate change (well...um, and the overtly aggressive and creepy valet/doormen), so, after check-in, awe drove off to find this mystical lot that the first valet/doorman told us existed. We pulled into the aforementioned lot and the attendant, waving his hands frantically, told us that his garage is not 24 hours. Apparently, he had gone through this bait-and-switch before on the "recommendation" of Hotel Lombardy. So, the search began. Finally (and, ultimately, only 3 1/2 blocks away, but it took a long time to find it), we found a 24-hour garage for $24.00 per 24 hours. It is located in the complex that houses the Whole Foods on the George Washington University campus. For our 3 nights, the total came to $55.00, as their 24-hour pricing system works in the favor of multiple night parkers. The luggage thing? Apparently, one hand on a piece of luggage is insufficient to the Hotel Lombardy staff. When we were checking out ("Express Checkout", too...all I was doing was placing the signed hotel receipt left under our door on checkout morning and our keys on the check-in desk), I left my tiny bag with my boyfriend for, LITERALLY, 5 seconds, and one of the staff members insisted on carrying it 5 feet to the door. He wouldn't let it go. He insisted on taking it 5 feet to the door. We just stood there and watched him walk it to the interior entrance of the door to Hotel Lombardy. We insisted that he not touch the bag, but he just picked it up and took it to the door and left it. I have seen a lot of strange things in my time, but the insistence to carry something 5 feet (obviously, with the hope of being tipped), is one of the strangest things I have ever seen. I am a ridiculous tipper, as I have worked at some point in my life in most capacities that rely on tips, and even I would not tip someone who essentially stole a bag for 5 feet. It was just bizarre. That said, the bed was comfortable, the housekeeping staff was very sweet and wonderful and the hotel is 2 blocks from the Metro. Would I stay there again? Eh. Probably not. The non-housekeeping staff, frankly, were far too aggressive and just freaked me out.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank BklynE
NYC
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed here for just one night, but it was perfect for visiting the sights and getting around.
The room was cozy, clean and comfortable. The only complain would be the noise, the wall seemed too thin and you could hear people walking by day and night. Especially in the morning, the cleaning crew seemed right 'in your room'.
Everybody was friendly and helpful. Although we didn't spend much time in the hotel, I would recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feed back. We appreciate you and thank you for offering to recommend our hotel. We look forward to your visit again on your next trip to the Nations Capital!

Mechanicsburg
Reviewed 20 February 2012

After searching for hours on the internet, I chose Hotel Lombardy for a mother-daughters girls' trip, and I'm so glad I did. The staff was incredible and treated us like royalty. I booked incorrectly, and we were upgraded for no extra charge. The room was eclectic, charming, and clean with modern upgrades. Georgetown was a 20 minute walk, $9.00 cab ride, or $1.00 bus ride. We shopped till we dropped, ate, and had drinks in some cool places. We were able to keep the car there until 8PM check out day.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Chris V
Thank you for your feed back! We are happy to hear that your mother-daughter trip was a success and that you enjoyed your stay here with us! It is our pleasure to serve you and we look forward to having you hear with us again soon!

Charlottesville, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is a great place to spend a night for a little DC weekend getaway. It is small, very clean, charming, the staff is old school polite especially the bell hops. I get the impression that there are many more people staying during the week because of its location. We used to stay there when the elevators were still hand operated/manual and miss that since the renovation. The rooms are incredibly comfortable and we appreciate the design. Nothing plastic about it. Sort of pre war New York feel. The cafe is adorable and makes you feel as if you are in Europe. The Venetian Room has a great atmosphere. The whole place makes us (we are not from the city) feel as if we are in a big city, nothing suburban about it. We go with our two young daughters who love it. The beds are very comfortable. They recently renovated and all the pillows are new. Way too puffy for us. The staff brought us a feather pillow but they ran out. Would be great if they made smaller ones available. We will bring our own next time.

Room Tip: Make sure you find out if they have your pillow type before you go.