“What a WONDERFUL hotel!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #83 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“What a WONDERFUL hotel!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I had booked this hotel for a special anniversary for my American pen-friend and I - for us to share our 60th 'anniversary' of writing to each other. Wow! What a great choice I made. We were made welcome from the very first second of our arrival, and were always called by name by the staff - which made us feel very special.
Our room had two Queen beds, a chaise lounge area, a dressing room and bathroom. And lovely views over the room tops to St. Matthews Cathedral.
The hotel itself is within easy reach of transport for tourist buses.
A lovely touch was a telephone call from reception, asking us to open our room door - and outside was a memeber of staff with a trolley with meats, cheeses, fruit, biscuits and sparkling water - all with the hotels compliments - plus - and SO special - an A4 sheet with the heading 1952 - 2012 - a special friendship - and then a list of memorable events over the past 60 years. Such a wonderful, personal touch.
This hotel is exceptional - and so is every single member of staff we met.
I would have absolutely NO hesitation in recommending The Topaz, and really hope to go there again soon.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 8th floor - and had lovely views over to St. Matthews Cathedral dome.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cyclingforester

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
  • Korean first
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2012

I love the Topaz. And like most Kimptons, the level of service here is superb.

Rooms are spacious, comfy and quiet. I love that my room had a little alcove off the bathroom to get ready in.

The wine hour is a nice touch, although I was only there one night for it.

They don't have a fitness center on site, but give you access to the YMCA just around the corner. The Y is a little dated, but is enormous - you can always find a machine, and the pool is great.

The bar is nice and usually not too crowded - although I wish they offered more food choices - especially on a cold, snowy January night.

This is one of my go-to hotels in DC since its close to my office and will definitely be staying here again one day!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

I ended up booking 3 nights on a Friday arriving the same day and was greeted with a fantastic room, big and light with all ammenities. The free wine in the lobby or lounge every night from 5-6 is a Kimpton tradition I love. Rick the barman is awesome. This hotel is a little more subdued than the Helix which is about 6 blocks away with a more funky vibe and is a sister to Rouge which I hear has a more bustling nightlife. Topaz is quirky buy plush, quiet and right next to the Tabbard Inn, famous for it's brunch. The very small bathroom and shower were the only things I would have liked to see changed. I was in luck and paid 180$ a night which rose to 500$ on Monday PM when I checked out. for the lower price it was a good deal and close to Dupont Circle.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

I thought that Kimpton hotels did not fall below a certain standard, but I've had to revise that standard down after my stay at the Topaz. Our room was certainly spacious, but the decoration was ugly (I know this is subjective, but it's my review after all.) and a bit depressing, especially since the fittings were worn. The bed was creaky and just tolerable. The water pressure in the showers was weak.

Of course the room was clean and serviceable, and the hotel staff friendly and competent.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Hiroshige
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2012
Hello Hiroshige,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Sorry to hear that we let you down. We'll definitely have a look at water pressure and beds. Glad to hear everything was clean and that our folks treated you well.

Thanks again,

Donte
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2012

Very small bathroom..shower over small bath...room too small to use without door open (reduced size door)..no cotton buds, shower caps, etc..but Hotel will provide if requested..I paid $400 per night..I rate this room worth say $200...Nice room, but bathroom was so bad. 1 x tea bag provided + 1 bag of sugar..no milk. hardly worth the botther !..location is good, nice street and quiet, lots of restaurants nearby. Can walk to White House.. This Hotel is worth considering, but need to pay less than me!

Room Tip: ask for room with shower (if they have any)
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank AndySilverfox7
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Hi AndySilverfox7,

Thanks for staying with us and for posting a review. As we head into the summer months rates lower than $400 won't be hard to come by. The same is true for most holidays and for the majority of the winter. Even then we'll likely not be the least expensive hotel option in the area. We're typically not the most expensive either. And when you factor in the complimentary internet for Kimpton InTouch members, complimentary Wine Hour, friendly service, great location, and fantastic new rooms we feel like a better deal is tough to come by.

Hope to see you this summer!

Donte