“Great location, but poor hotel”

Kimpton Topaz Hotel
Ranked #73 of 141 Hotels in Washington DC
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 2 February 2012

Before staying at this hotel, I had a very positive opinion of Kimpton from previous stays. However this hotel substantially reduced my opinion.

The Topaz has a great location near Dupont Circle, but the hotel itself has terrible views. Outside my window is an alley, a dumpster (which was dumped last night at 6 am and woke me up) and another building... and I'm on one of the highest floors. Next to the hotel are buildings with boarded up windows.

The rooms are very large, but old. The material of the building is cheap, for example there are popcorn ceilings and the paint in my room is chipped.

The amenities are terrible - no gym, and the room service menu is unacceptable, especially for a vegetarian. During a week, I'll normally eat 2-3 room service meals, but this week I've had none because nothing on the menu is even remotely appetizing.

Also, the staff does not pay attention to detail. When checking in, I registered as Dr. Soandso, not that I care, but their registration form asked. During the entire stay (approximately 10 interactions with the front desk), I've been addressed as Mr. Soandso. Again, it doesn't bother me and I never say anything, but high end hotels (which Kimpton claims to be) usually pay attention to these details (for example, who is on vacation, who is on a honeymoon, etc). The hotel staff apparently do not care at this location.

All-in-all, the Topaz is about equivalent to a Holiday Inn in terms of service and room quality, and that may be a little generous.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank BooTheGroundhog
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2012

Dear BooTheGroundhog,

Thank you for posting a review of your experience with us here on Tripadvisor.com. This one stings. There’s a lot to digest in here. So, I appreciate the candid and detailed feedback. I’m terribly sorry that your stay was not an outstanding one.
The views on the back side of the building are not the most appealing. However, our guests typically enjoy the tree-lined N Street view as much as that of any downtown hotel. The dumpster should not be picked up prior to 7a on any day. I apologize for this disturbance and will contact our vendor. The vacant building at the end of the block isn’t the most savory. But, it does little in my opinion, to detract from the charm of N Street.
The building was originally erected in 1954 and still retains some of the touches from way back when including the crown molding, which I really like, and the popcorn ceilings that were mentioned above.
In lieu of having a fitness center the hotel features rooms with exercise equipment in them in addition to passes to the 6 level fitness facility at the end of the block. I play basketball there a couple of times weekly. But, they also have an Olympic-sized swimming pool, track, rock climbing, weights, racquetball, and tons of cardio equipment. With regards to our menu, I was disappointed to read that you weren’t interested in any of the items featured. There are 5 vegetarian options on the current room service menu and over 10 offered daily in the lounge.
I’m sorry that you weren’t greeted and addressed as a doctor during your visit with us. This title was not reflected in the reservation which is where the disconnect occurred. However, I have reemphasized the need to pay close attention to these details with our team. They put everything they have into taking care of our guests. So when they don’t receive the information they need to provide an excellent service experience we take it very seriously.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton Topaz Hotel

Reviewed 31 January 2012

Stayed for three nights in the Topaz based and the good reviews on Tripadvisor and can only confirm them. Very nice and big rooms, very friendly service and stuff, great location to visit Washington and lively neighborhood and good breakfast - would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 January 2012

We really enjoyed our stay. Love all Kimpton Hotels. Staff was perfect. location was great. Only downside is a very small lobby. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: November 2011

Dear vamellens,

Thank you for recommending us to fellow travelers here on Tripadvisor. I agree that our lobby is a little cozy and that give us an opportunity to wrap our arms around folks on the way in and give them a proper send off on the way out. Some people aren’t into this. So, we give them their space. But, we hope to see you again soon. Thanks again for the review.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

I stayed at this hotel about 6 times in 2011, and each stay was good because the staff were so nice. Tip: the best item in the hotel restaurant is the Topaz Salad with fried shrimp, and the wine selections are decent.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators -- they're loud. Also, they supposedly have rooms with exercise eq...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Dear TNiceT,

Thanks for the review and thank you for making Topaz your home away from home in Washington. I’m glad to hear that you’ve been treated well by our folks. That doesn’t surprise me one bit. Good news: There are several rooms with exercise equipment in them and we actually just replaced the machines a couple of weeks ago. “Bad” news: The Topaz Salad is not on our new menu. However, I think you’ll enjoy the variety and overall deliciousness of our new items.

Reviewed 20 January 2012

Not only was the room nice and affordable, when we checked in the desk asked us what we doing so they could suggest the order to see things, make and confirm reservations, and even offer us a gift card to the snack bar in the room.
great location , even better service.
there wqas a flaw in our billing (3 days 3 different rates) but they gave us the lowest rate for all 3 nights

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AJK69
TopazHotelGM, General Manager at Kimpton Topaz Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2012

Dear AJK69,

Thank you for taking a moment to share your Topaz experience with us and fellow travelers here on Tripadvisor.com. I’m glad your stay was a great one! I’m terribly sorry about the confusion with your room rate. It’s great to hear that the matter was promptly resolved. We hope to have you with us again soon.