“Incredible”

BlackSalt Fish Market & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
BlackSalt Fish Market & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #77 of 3,342 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Upper Northwest
Cross street: V Street NW
Description: BlackSalt is the much anticipated concept restaurant from Chef Jeff Black, featuring an upscale fish market fronting a vibrant bar and elegant restaurant.
Reviewed 9 August 2017

I know food. Everything about this place was first rate. The room was engaging, although we sat in the back room which appeared quieter and a bit more formal than the front section. I would request the back again as my wife and I went after a long day of walking and enjoyed the softer environment of the back room.

The wait staff was attentive but not intrusive, knowledgeable but not pompous, and had an appropriate sense of humor without auditioning for SNL.

Service was perfect, the timing of the dishes, which we had many of, was spaced evenly without a rush or a wait.

The food, absolutely brilliant from start to finish. All of it was complicated in its simplicity and what I liked about it was we were served without a lengthy discourse on where each grain of salt came from or the genealogy of the tomatoes or how brilliant they were to think this dish up. They simply served it and let the food do the talking. And it all spoke loudly with confidence.

I would go back every week if I lived in DC. It is expensive but, if innovative, good and honest food is your thing....It's worth it.

Reviewed 1 August 2017

I honestly do not understand the hype about this restaurant because the food is not worthy of the high prices or the hype. The wild alaskan salmon filet was served practically raw (sashi level of doneness) and it was smothered in a mexican black bean and chorizo type garnish/side that tasted like liquid smoke. Fresh fish should be able to stand alone with simple garnishes - this salmon was horrible. The summer tomatoe salad had about 1/2 of a tomatoe and the rest was red and yellow bell peppers (hoping diners did not notice). The worst part was the thousand island like dressing. The whole branzino was served filled and over cooked. The waiter never came by our table to ask if everything was ok until we were done. When we told him the fish was raw, the manager was decent enough to take it off the bill - although he never came by the table to apologize. The worst part is for $40 an entree, the food should be much better. Save your time and money and go somewhere else.

And the icing on the cake is that the restaurant smells like fish as a result of the fish market in the front of the restaurant!

1  Thank Emily M
Reviewed 11 July 2017

They have a good selection of seafood but nothing is simply prepared or grilled. Lots of flavors and ingredients so be prepared for that type of evening. Very attentive wait staff. A little heavy on the salt but overall an excellent choice fir dinner

Reviewed 11 July 2017

They are good about keeping tout things not on a diet so you can always order somethingorder something. It's a kind of loud place, but that's partly because it is popular. And it's a bit dark, but sometimes that can be a blessing.

One of us had Bronzino which was overcooked, a little mealy, and tasted like supermarket thawed farm raised tilapia.

I hate to say it for a seafood restaurant, but they do great steaks. But for seafood, I am back to ordering crabcakes and other stuff on the menu that I know they do relatively well, and this is not the restaurant that I normally go to for bivalves.

Still, I'm here often, So..

I never put actual visit times in reviews

1  Thank NavyJunior
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Expected a lot from this restaurant b/c of reviews, it was a disappointment. Acoustics were awful, was very loud had hard time conversing w my husband. Had the butter poached lobster which was very good, everything else just mediocre. We don't mind spending $200 for a meal but this establishment was not worth the $. Will not return.

1  Thank lindasak12