Open today: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm

from USD 125.00
from USD 54.00
from USD 45.00
More Info
All reviews book lovers book store bookstore bookshelves shop browse basement
Reviewed 7 June 2018 via mobile

Waste of time. Rude people, so cluttered and filthy I was expecting a rat to run over my toes at any time.

Reviewed 24 May 2018

I am a sucker for bookstores, and I make a point to visit independent bookstores when I travel. Capitol Hill Books was the only bookstore (not in a museum) that I made it to during my five days in DC. And it was great. Books everywhere. Books in pyramids on the floor. Books in the bathroom, books in closets. Books on the main floor, upstairs, basement. So many books bookshelves were collapsing under the weight. Books of every conceivable genre. The owner of Capitol Hill Books has a great sense of humor, and you'll see it around the store. Live in DC? Visiting DC? Go to Capitol Hill Books. It's a charmer - and you'll find some good books for great prices!

1  Thank Alexis B
Reviewed 17 April 2018

Capitol Hill Books certainly qualifies as an experience if for no other reason than the overstuffed shelves and the little pieces of singular humor the owner has tacked up in every conceivable corner and blank space of wall around the three levels of shop. It is fun to roam and browse but not for the claustriphobic, and even if you aren't it can get a little crowded and difficult to shop once a dozen people are inside at the same time.

Reviewed 30 November 2017

If you are a reader and looking for interesting old books to read. This is the place. The book store is just a warehouse for book. Three floors (still have space for visitors to walk around looking for books. If you know what you are looking for, you will definitely find something because all books are grouped and labeled specifically by types and specific topics such as Asian Cooking, U.S. presidents, mystery. You can spend as much time of you want to read and/or finish a small book. Then, pick and choose a couple books to go home. The place is not prominently display, just look at the flag with open sign and open the door to get in. There you are in your haven if you like books.

Reviewed 26 July 2017 via mobile

Inventory is out of this world and it's such a neat little quirky place! Books stacked everywhere but everything is labeled so you know exactly where to look! Loved this place!

1  Thank Kristy S
Reviewed 30 April 2017

Visiting this bookstore was an incredible experience! There were used books everywhere, from the closet (business corner) to the restroom (foreign language). I felt like Alice in Wonderland.

2  Thank Dario2788
Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

Wow! My friend brought me here and the books were just everywhere! They're all pretty organized, but it was overwhelming. I'll have to come back now that I know what to prepare for!

1  Thank QuickWhitTravel
Reviewed 22 December 2016 via mobile

We visited two used bookstores during our visit to D.C. and they couldn't have been more opposite from each other in presentation. This store has certainly accumulated books over time and has a wide range of options for you although I found it difficult to browse given the stacks, how they were categorized, and multiple rows on the bookshelves.

My rating is based on my entire family and not only my rating. I personally would have rated Average over Very Good.

Enjoy your hunt - I am sure you will find a treasure! If you are looking for something specific, ask.

1  Thank Lana I
Reviewed 8 November 2016

AMAZING used bookstore! Books piled as high as you can imagine and in every conceivable surface. The place is an old house, and books are piled up in old kitchen cabinets, in the sink, up the stairs and even in the bathroom! It really is amazing. there's no point going with a specific book in mind as you're unlikely to find it - it's very much just a case of rummaging through the section you're interested in to see what takes your fancy! The guy at the desk (who I presume owns it) has a wicked, dry sense of humour and spent the time making funny comments to people as they came in or purchased books.

1  Thank grintoul
Reviewed 9 August 2016 via mobile

Absolutely loved this book store. Really could of spent hours in it but I only had about 30 mins before I had reservations for dinner. I collect old cook books and found a great Greek cookbook for a couple bucks . Even better when I opened the cookbook there were two handwritten notecards of family recipes from the old owner of the book- really cool find!