“Excellent food; great ambiance!”

DAS Ethiopian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
DAS Ethiopian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #79 of 3,282 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: USD 20 - USD 35
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

We revisited Das Ethiopian (M Street in Georgetown) after almost ten years. The food is still excellent. And if we remember correctly the atmosphere is even better. We are vegetarians but they have at least half dozen or more main dish choices. Red lentils dish was superb and spicy. Collard greens were great too. We went for lunch in August so it wasn't crowded but evenings probably require reservations.

There are newer reviews for DAS Ethiopian Restaurant

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

This place is delicious! I have been to this restaurant 2 years ago on my first visit to DC. Back then it seemed full and it seemed only reservations would be seated, but the owner/manager appeared and let us know that we can be seated upstairs. The staff then and this time gave us suggestions that were all delicious.
This is family style dining. Each person orders what they want, orders will be presented on a large platter for everyone to share. We ate with our hands using the Ethiopian sour bread that is thin, almost like a crepe. There are spoons and forks I'm sure they can give you if requested.
The place has white linen napkins and table clothes, waitstaff are smartly dressed.
The reason I rated this 4 stars is because of their lack of bathrooms. There are 2 bathrooms with 1 toilet each and rather old plumbing I assume since 2 years ago and this time one of the bathrooms became unusable during my stay.
That is my only criticism. The owner/manager is regularly checking and helping to make sure everyone is being served as well as the staff regularly checking. My water glass barely had a chance to be empty before it was being refilled.
This time and last time we could barely finish our meal. I would say that unless you are starving you would be hard pressed to eat everything.

Reviewed 7 August 2017

I share the opinion of other reviewers that the place does not resemble an ethnic restaurant. That is not bad by default except if you invite people to introduce them to that particular experience of Ethiopian cuisine. It lacks the opportunity of sharing a big sampler of different preparations among the guests, instead you are forced to order individual dishes (at most you can get two plates in one bigger dish.) The personnel is correct but you could feel a little restricted in your will, perhaps too many directions to be taken to comply with the regulations of the place. For instance be aware that tipping of at least 18% will be enforced. Regarding the food, it is very good, for some people the only important matter.

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

I had heard of vegetarian Ethiopian food from my son who lives in NY. On our recent visit to Washington, he took us to this highly recommended Ethiopian restaurant for Lunch.

We tried their Vegetarian Sampliers which was a combination of all the vegetarian items they have on the menu and was meant for one person. So instead of ordering different item we selected the vegetarian combo sampler and which was a great way of tasting the Ethiopian vegetarian food. We also tried their sambusa which was quite yummy

They do not provide cutlery and I was told that like traditional Indian way, Ethiopian food also has to be eaten by hands only.

Each vegetarian sampler was about USD 20/ and was good for one person as a complete meal.

Highly recommended for all and mainly for vegetarians

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

Ok place to have Ethiopian food, but they don't have the price point right for the service/ quality of food they serve. We had a Vegetarian Entree sampler (6 vegetarian entrees) & Chicken Doro Wat. Quantity was decent for 2-3 people. But 3 of the vegetarian entrees were completely bland even though we asked for spicy. Menu said they would serve 4 Injeras per person (more would be extra charge), but they served 3 Injeras per person. We didn't need more, but seems silly to say something on the menu and not do it. Service was friendly, but slow considering they only had 4 tables for lunch.

We've had Ethiopian food in Philadelphia & NYC before. They were priced lower, and had better food. Though the ambience at Das is quite nice.