“Stuffed!”

DAS Ethiopian Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
DAS Ethiopian Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #79 of 3,282 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: USD 20 - USD 35
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

This place is delicious! I have been to this restaurant 2 years ago on my first visit to DC. Back then it seemed full and it seemed only reservations would be seated, but the owner/manager appeared and let us know that we can be seated upstairs. The staff then and this time gave us suggestions that were all delicious.
This is family style dining. Each person orders what they want, orders will be presented on a large platter for everyone to share. We ate with our hands using the Ethiopian sour bread that is thin, almost like a crepe. There are spoons and forks I'm sure they can give you if requested.
The place has white linen napkins and table clothes, waitstaff are smartly dressed.
The reason I rated this 4 stars is because of their lack of bathrooms. There are 2 bathrooms with 1 toilet each and rather old plumbing I assume since 2 years ago and this time one of the bathrooms became unusable during my stay.
That is my only criticism. The owner/manager is regularly checking and helping to make sure everyone is being served as well as the staff regularly checking. My water glass barely had a chance to be empty before it was being refilled.
This time and last time we could barely finish our meal. I would say that unless you are starving you would be hard pressed to eat everything.

There are newer reviews for DAS Ethiopian Restaurant

Reviewed 7 August 2017

I share the opinion of other reviewers that the place does not resemble an ethnic restaurant. That is not bad by default except if you invite people to introduce them to that particular experience of Ethiopian cuisine. It lacks the opportunity of sharing a big sampler of different preparations among the guests, instead you are forced to order individual dishes (at most you can get two plates in one bigger dish.) The personnel is correct but you could feel a little restricted in your will, perhaps too many directions to be taken to comply with the regulations of the place. For instance be aware that tipping of at least 18% will be enforced. Regarding the food, it is very good, for some people the only important matter.

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

I had heard of vegetarian Ethiopian food from my son who lives in NY. On our recent visit to Washington, he took us to this highly recommended Ethiopian restaurant for Lunch.

We tried their Vegetarian Sampliers which was a combination of all the vegetarian items they have on the menu and was meant for one person. So instead of ordering different item we selected the vegetarian combo sampler and which was a great way of tasting the Ethiopian vegetarian food. We also tried their sambusa which was quite yummy

They do not provide cutlery and I was told that like traditional Indian way, Ethiopian food also has to be eaten by hands only.

Each vegetarian sampler was about USD 20/ and was good for one person as a complete meal.

Highly recommended for all and mainly for vegetarians

Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

Ok place to have Ethiopian food, but they don't have the price point right for the service/ quality of food they serve. We had a Vegetarian Entree sampler (6 vegetarian entrees) & Chicken Doro Wat. Quantity was decent for 2-3 people. But 3 of the vegetarian entrees were completely bland even though we asked for spicy. Menu said they would serve 4 Injeras per person (more would be extra charge), but they served 3 Injeras per person. We didn't need more, but seems silly to say something on the menu and not do it. Service was friendly, but slow considering they only had 4 tables for lunch.

We've had Ethiopian food in Philadelphia & NYC before. They were priced lower, and had better food. Though the ambience at Das is quite nice.

Reviewed 25 July 2017

I visited this restaurant twice during my recent sojourn to Our Nation's Capital: once, as a singleton; and on my return visit, accompanied by Mrs. Rat and the Ratling.

The food was delicious both times, and for anyone passing through Georgetown in the mood for a slab or two of injera smeared with the good stuff, I recommend it.

But let me caution you: this place has Rules and Fees. First of all, everyone must order something, Or Else. Let me explain. Suppose you are a party of three, and you decide that as a group, you'd like to order Kik Alicha and Tikil Gomen. The server will insist that your group must order an additional item (entree or appetizer), Or Else pay a Shared Plate Fee of $7.50. So really, go ahead and order the Sambusa.

Another example. Suppose that you'd like to celebrate your birthday at Das. (And frankly, who wouldn't?) As part of your celebration you decide to bring a cake. Be aware that Das will charge you a Cake Fee on a per-person basis. Also, the Corking Fee if you bring your own bottle of wine, and the Fork Fee if you insist on being provided with a fork to eat your dinner. (Just kidding about the Fork Fee, but you get the idea: this place is after your nickels and dimes.) There is also a Loaf Fee for additional injera beyond the initial 4 rolls -- although I was only given three rolls on both of my visits.

All of that is fine, provided your budget can sustain it. I have always said "Bring on the injera, whatever the cost!" And the food (what there is of it) is delicious. If you decide to order the Vegetarian Sampler, however, be aware that the portions of the various entrees are more like spoon-size portions than bowl-size portions.

Finally -- the atmosphere, or ambiance. This is unlike any other Ethiopian restaurant I have patronized in the USA or Canada. I usually expect a lot of bright colors, lowish ceilings, and various authentic reproductions of traditional Ethiopian artifacts. I feel that the best way to describe the atmosphere at Das is "Upscale Bombastic." But if your aesthetic sensibilities are not too tender, and if you don't mind surreptitiously wiping your Goden-Tibs-slathered fingers on the edges of the linen tablecloths by candlelight, you'll definitely enjoy Das. Slainte!