“Nice place for casual meal”
Review of Bread & Chocolate

Bread & Chocolate
Ranked #63 of 103 Dessert in Washington DC
Price range: USD 0 - USD 20
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 23 May 2017

This is a good place to stop in for pastry, coffee or a nice salad. Very low key. Food is general fresh - nothing great, but not bad either.

Reviewed 16 May 2017

This café is charmingly situated on Connecticut (Chevy Chase circle) with patio settings. Service is very good, very busy on Sunday morning the staff are always smiling and very polite. The food is delicious: best croissants and the best French toast around here. Very good espresso.

Reviewed 14 February 2017

I ordered two cakes for my husband's birthday party. The website had a menu to order from, but when I called to order, many of cake selections just were not available. The chocolate cake had a white edible disc on it with Happy Birthday written on it in very small blue letters. Very plain and not what I expected. The other cake was a little burned around the edges. I give them 3 stars because the cakes were average - neither good nor bad.

Reviewed 14 November 2016

This delightful bakery and restaurant was less than a block away from my hotel during a recent business trip to DC. Hungry for breakfast on the morning I arrived, I settled into an al fresco table, ordered the brunch (an entree, plus pastries, plus coffee and juice), and prepared myself for culinary happiness.

The food didn't disappoint. A lovely spinach and goat cheese omelet accompanied by some of the best hash browns I've ever tasted. A beautiful basket of three pastries, strong coffee, tangy juice. A little bird kept hopping around my table, shooting me meaningful glances and waiting impatiently for me to "accidentally" drop some pastry. A wonderful way to begin my visit!

Prices are moderate, and service was prompt and friendly.

Reviewed 8 November 2016

Well okay, maybe the ambiance would've gotten 4 stars if we'd sat outside, but it was too chilly. What I really don't understand is how others' experience of the service and food could have been so different from ours. The food, especially, was really, really good. We both had the spinach and chevre omelettes, and they were delicious (among the best we've ever had). They come with latkes, and they were very good, too. And while the bread wasn't anything special--surprisingly, given the name of the restaurant--it was still better than that served in most places. And even including a large glass of grapefruit juice for one of us, it came to only 25 bucks in one of the most expensive areas to eat in the country.

We'll be back!