“Great RW menu”
Review of 1789 Restaurant

1789 Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
1789 Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 3,282 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: USD 50 - USD 85
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighbourhood: Georgetown
Cross street: Prospect & 36th Streets
Description: An upscale institution sitting on a quiet residential street in Georgetown, 1789 Restaurant has the charm of a historic country inn. Servicing classic and contemporary American cuisine, Executive Chef Samuel Kim's contemporary, seasonal menu blends the flavors of fresh regional ingredients into unique and delicious dishes. Pastry Chef Lauren Petri takes a modern twist on classic desserts. Awards and Recognition: 2014 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence Zagat Top Ratings in Food, Service, Decor, and Most Popular DiRona Award Winner 3 Stars from 2014 Washingtonian magazine
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

1st of all, they offered a $20 RW wine pairing--what a unique, fabulous idea. All restaurants should consider this concept. Felix was an excellent server. We both started with the corn soup. My wife had the duck confit main and panna cotta dessert. I had the pork loin main and chocolate coffee dessert. A beautiful, quiet, romantic Georgetown institution, currently having external renovations. We will return.

1  Thank RonFG
There are newer reviews for 1789 Restaurant

Reviewed 13 August 2017

This was our first time visiting 1789 and it is now our absolute "go-to" for special evenings out while in the DC area. The cuisine was impeccable from hors d'oeuvre to dessert and everything in between. The location bursts with history and celebrity appeal. We can't wait to visit again.

Reviewed 11 August 2017

1789 is located in Georgetown in a Federal house built in the mid-1800's, so if you are looking for a bit of history to go with your visit to D.C. this is the place to eat. The restaurant has many different rooms with different architectural styles and that makes this restaurant setting even more unique. The menu isn't extensive but offers, steak, duck and fish all of which are sourced regionally, unfortunately it's not all grass-fed or organic but it is a step in that direction. The service was professional and polite and my friends and I enjoyed our special evening together.

Reviewed 10 August 2017

Located in the Georgetown section of Washington, D.C., '1789' will transport you back to the colonial era of gas street lights, horse drawn hansom's, well dressed ladies and gentlemen and cuisine fit for royalty. Upon entering, the transport into the past continues. Look around and take in all the rustic décor. Pay close attention to the bar. The wooden carved center point was, I believe, taken out of a monastery where the monks knelt to say their daily prayers. The actual kneelers are still visible, but the carved face in the center is an eye catcher. Ask the very nice tender about the history, he is well versed.

Now as always it is all about what bang you get for your buck. '1789' is not inexpensive by no means, however well worth it for that very special venue. My family was on vacation and I always tell them you can choose any restaurant for our very special dinner. '1789' was the choice and in my mind the best choice. The staff is transparent, there when you need them, gone when you don't, I like that. The appetizers are well done and well presented. As a chef I tend to order something that I normally would not make at home and I had plenty to choose from. The wait staff is incredibly well versed with a detailed description of each dish. The wine list is extensive as you probably could imagine. My final thoughts, go and take a bite out of the past, as it were. Take your time, you will not be rushed. Enjoy your experience! Oh, and if you are a fan of the movie 'The Exorcist', the ending scene staircase is only about a block away from the restaurant.

Reviewed 4 August 2017

Our last nite in DC was capped with a fabulous dinner in this Georgetown Gem. Exterior is under restoration but the interior is a traditional décor with fireplaces, burning candles on every table and decorative china. The service was outstanding, the cocktails were delicious and the food was quite memorable. Complimentary amuse bouche of gazpacho was quite tasty, foie gras Torchon that was beautifully presented and DELICIOUS. My husband had the duck prepared 2 ways and I had a tasty branzino. We look forward to visiting again. Request a table downstairs for better ambiance.