“SHHHH... its a total secret.”
Review of Le Diplomate

Le Diplomate
Reserve with OpenTable
Le Diplomate is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 3,553 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Massively popularly French bistro mobbed with locals and tourists. Feel free to come in without a reservation and the always pleasant host/hostess will cheerfully add your name to the 1.5 hour long waitlist - go order a drink at the three deep packed bar and get elbowed by the Deputy Assistant Secretary of Fisheries and Livestock. Or a stray Kushner getting a lot of dirty looks. Obama loyalists tend to hang to the left hand side of the bar. Joe ate here frequently. Once seated order anything on the menu as it is all really very good - highly recommend the seafood platter. Steak frites amongst the best ever- at least in the USA. Fantastic wine list and knowledgable sommeliers Shockingly professional and competent wait staff. The tented dining area is charming in the spring - they open up the sides. The tarte tatine is worth the 2 hours on a treadmill it will cost you. For the love of God don't linger at a cleared table by asking for more tap water...order another bottle of wine and enjoy yourself. Even better - champagne!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,783)

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Had a wonderful meal last night with family. Having Celiac Disease I always worry about getting gluttened. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the choices I could safely eat. Atmosphere was great and everyone enjoyed their meal.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Almost couldn't get into this place, but SO glad I waited the 45 minutes for the table.

Everything we tried was beyond fantastic. It's standard bistro fare, which I love, but it's HOW it's done that makes the difference. The skate wing was superb, even the simple burger with fries were amazing. I dont eat dessert, but I tried a taste of their house specialty and couldn't stop eating it.

Do yourself a favour, and make a reservation and do not miss this place

Reviewed 3 April 2018

We were seated promptly at our reservation time on a holiday weekend. The cheese board was delicious. Onion soup best I've ever had. Steak Frites enjoyed by two others at the table. Definitely order the creme brûlée, you won't be sorry. Service was outstanding. This was at the top of the list of our dining experiences while in DC.

Reviewed 2 April 2018

You walk up to this bistro and you see the patio packed, the bar is packed, and the restaurant is jammed. Your energy level picks up.

Our waiter was spot on and took the time to explain some of the dishes to us. He and I both rolled our eyes when my wife ordered the her steak frites medium well. That gave me an opening to order the french onion soup au gratin and the special of the day for Thursdays, filet of dole mueniere. The sole was flown in from Eorope that morning. It was special. Brown butter sauce with capers and steamed potatoes. You have to get this if you are there on a Thursday is all I can say. Her medium well steak was actually ok ( I don't think the chef had it in him to ruin it!).

Our experience was very good.