“Delightful Meal”

Nile Ethiopian Restaurant
Ranked #1,512 of 3,751 Restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

Nile Ethiopian can get more authentic as an Ethiopian restaurant. All the customers were Ethiopian and classical Ethiopian music came from overhead speakers. There is clearly a family atmosphere. And the food! There is a spicy lamb kale dish that is simply divine. A spicy beef dish that was the perfect counterpoint to the lamb. Both were served atop injera, a spongy bread that was used to scoop up the food since utensils are not provided. We loved it.

Date of visit: December 2017

Reviewed 1 November 2017

When in DC, I stop in for take out. I enjoy the food and they dont take FOREVER to prepare as other Ethiopian Resturants in my city (Phila). Better like spicy food..and they have a solid vegetarian offering. I do stop in every time I drive into DC from the north.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 28 July 2017

This used to be my favorite Ethiopian Restaurant. I have written a review before. The only reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5 stars BEFORE is because the service has always been bad.

But this time, I had not been there for a month or two and there is a sign saying under new management. (I was a little concerned because I had always loved the place before.) The menu is the same (actual menu), but they have new management and new cooks who make mediocre food, not excellent food. I gave it a Poor because there are 30 Ethiopian Restaurants within 3 miles of this place, there is no need go to a mediocre restaurant.

The food was really oily, and it was not well spiced. Not bad, just not great. Don't bother with this place, there are many many other Ethiopian Restaurants so close. And the service is just as bad as ever. And they let people sit outside and smoke and the smoke gets into the restaurant when people open the door. So I found there is nothing to recommend about this place. I'm not exactly sure when the new management came, but don't read anything more than a month old when you are reading.

Oh and I have been eating Ethiopian since the early 1980's, I saw someone compared it to "The Red Sea" in Adams Morgan 20 years ago. There is no comparison, Nile is not even in the same category as my favorite all time restaurant that closed about 10 years ago (owner retired.).

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 10 July 2017

Having said “not the best,” we are not sure, having patronized Ethiopian restaurants since they were first introduced in DC (Red Sea in Adams Morgan, we think) what or where the best currently is in the DC area. The lamb and beef specialties were OK, but expensive and on another occasion we would not pay a premium for the specials (the beef was dry and overcooked, the lamb in a vague red sauce that did not taste too different from the beef). The doro wat (chicken) was succulent, with deep flavor that far exceeded the flavor of the beef and lamb dishes. In hindsight, I realize that we never got the kitfo we ordered. Ethiopian beer selection was excellent and a specialty shop attached to the dining area was very interesting (even though intended for Ethiopian customers, since the labels were not translated to English and the attendant could not translate or explain) and sells injera (Ethiopian bread). The staff was extremely welcoming and friendly, but the service pretty slow and minimally attentive to timing of requests (such as for forks, extra plates, napkins, etc).

Date of visit: July 2017
Reviewed 6 June 2016

I never had Ethiopian before my experience here, and I'm so glad Nile was my first. The staff were SO nice and helpful! I got one of the meat sampler platters (I think it had one vegetable), and the spicy beef was definitely my favorite. It was all great though!

Date of visit: May 2016