“Flashy But Tasteless, An Aberration?”
Review of Rasika West End

Rasika West End
Reserve with OpenTable
Rasika West End is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #55 of 3,664 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: USD 31 - USD 50
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: New Hampshire & M Street
Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

The salad was very good. Other than that, Rasika West End brought to mind the Malvinas Reynolds song, The New Restaurant. The wait staff wore fancy uniforms, the decor was a delight, the menu was quite impressive, but the food (to quote the song) was terrible.

The presentation was impressive, each plate a work of visual art. But the lamb was tough, the fish tasteless, the sauces seemed as if poured straight from a can. There were no layers of flavor, no interplay between various spices. There seemed hardly any spice at all. There was none of the magic which can make Indian cuisine so special. Even the wines, supposedly thoughtfully paired with each dish, were lackluster, unidimensional.

Luckily our company and conversation were wonderful. We were able to enjoyably prolong our time at the table, thereby getting at least something of value for our money.

Rasika seemed to be resting on its laurels, and counting its cash. I have enjoyed much better food from greasy-spoon Indian restaurants at a fifth the price. Hopefully this was an aberration, but I would be hard pressed to give Rasika West End another chance.

1  Thank Peter C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,001)

Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

Sat at the bar on a busy Friday night as we had no reservations. The flash fried spinach was excellent as was the eggplant. Lobster was cooked in a bowl covered by bread and delicious. Shammi kebab was also very good. Bartender very friendly and very helpful suggesting dishes. Definitely worth going.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

Love this place. I hardly rate that high for fine dining restaurant. I have tried Bibiana, 701, which are all in their chain. Rasika West End is standing out, by the service, and food. The restaurant read my notes and pay attention to the food allergy. The service person also carefully double check, and make sure they are correct. My parents are not big eater, the restaurant did not say a word for sharing meal even it is the restaurant week. The food also is very delicious. I had spinach salad, crunch,and balanced taste between fried spinach and yogurt dressing. I also had chicken masala, not too spicy and goes well with either rice or naan. My parents had the fish, it is bit of spicy for us. But taste is still good. To me, the dessert is the least one. I just could not get into the ingredients and taste of the desserts, we had 4 desserts, I liked none. So, I will go back for sure, and just order appetizers and main dish.

Reviewed 22 August 2017

Was told this place had the best Indian food in DC, and I'd have to agree. Had the spinach chaat, a chicken curry dish, a lamb dish, a veggie dish, and the truffle naan. Everything was up to par, and the spinach chaat was incredible. Our waiter, Bo, was phenomenal. Recommendations were perfect, and he offered us a "tasting" of a handful of items on the menu so that we could narrow down some choices. He even gave us a complimentary dessert at the end of the evening. I would definitely return. Appropriately priced too!

Reviewed 12 August 2017 via mobile

This restaurant came highly recommended and its proximity to our hotel made it an easy choice . We went at lunchtime and was able to get a table without reservation.

My wife and I ordered chicken Tika Marsala -a staple of Indian cuisine. I also ordered the tandoori salmon . We ordered the fried cauliflower as an appetizer .

The service was a little slow at first but improved as the meal progressed . The food was well above average but certainly not the best Indian food we have had. We found the cauliflower a bit dry for our taste , and our entrees were both very salty . It's a shame because the tandoori salmon was beautifully presented and had an interesting flavor that got lost in the salt .

It was a good meal not a great meal - but we would try it again before ruling it out entirely .