“sushi is good, but service and vibe is bad”
Review of Fujimar - CLOSED

Fujimar
Price range: USD 30 - USD 30
Cuisines: Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 14th and K St
Transit: One block from the McPhearson Square Metro on the Orange and Blue Line; K Street Circulator and Metro bus lines stops are right in front.
Description: formerly called Lima
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My partner and I went to Fujimar for a date night, and overall, I felt that while the food was pretty tasty, the service and atmosphere were very poor.

We had been to Fujimar before, and we decided to go again because we had a Gilt City voucher. While I was able to make a reservation for Fujimar on OpenTable, when we got there, they said it wasn't open and only the downstairs bar of Lima was open for food. It was kind of confusing, especially since both of them use the same kitchen and chefs. They originally didn't want to take our voucher, but we weren't about to back down since we had a valid reservation. Ultimately, we got the lobster and Kobe beef roll, and then also we got the "slap slap" role, which was shrimp and crab. I mean, the lobster roll was $25, so while it was tasty, that's a steep price for a sushi roll with all the other roles more in the low to mid teens. The shrimp roll was pretty forgettable, that's for sure. We also got the beef empanadas, which were actually rather tasty and definitely recommended.

I will say the service and atmosphere at Fujimar were very lackluster. Our server seemed very haphazard and clueless. Because technically we were at the Lima part of this building, I think this is just a waitress used to serving bottles at a nightclub, even though it was only 8PM. All the glassware seemed very cheap and plastic, and had spots from the dishwasher everywhere. The actual Fujimar upstairs that we had been to before had a nice vibe, if a bit too trendy, but Lima downstairs was pretty atrocious.

I think with so many sushi options in DC, I would skip Fujimar.

Reviewed 1 December 2013

Excelent service and delicious cocktails and a nice view
Creative kitchen and good presentation of the food

Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

Hipster is not my thing, but good food is. The menu of this sleek Asian/Latin fusion restaurant has lots of choices, both food and cocktails. For an appetizer, we had the ceviche sampler and best guacamole I've ever had outside the Southwest. For entrees we had salmon and steak. The waiter knew his menu and gave good suggestions. Would eat here regularly if I lived in DC.

Reviewed 22 December 2012

After having a difficult time getting a table at the Park on 14th, my friend and I wandered over to Fujimar. We were seated at one of the high-top tables near the bar for dinner which required a credit card to "secure the table" (???).

The server was unable to answer my questions about a specific dish but she found an almost over-enthusiastic colleague to help. I had the sea bass. The presentation was nondescript and the bass was actually overcooked, giving it an almost meaty consistency. The pureed malanga (which the server insisted was yuca) that accompanied was fairly flavorful but nothing special.

I had previously been to this restaurant when it was Lima and recall that the food was tastier.

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I had an entree here that I wasn't too thrilled about, but the Sushi and drinks were really good. I really like the atmosphere of the place. Try out the sushi. You won't be disappointed. They set up an area outside with heaters for the winter time. Really cool place.