“Great food but you know you came here to drink”

Jack Rose Dining Saloon
Ranked #98 of 3,149 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: AU$45 - AU$45
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Adams Morgan
Cross street: Florida Ave. NW
Transit: Metro Accessible via Red Line. Located between to Dupont Circle Metro and Adams Morgan/ Woodley Park. Bus Lines 42 and 90
Description: This place is great and needs to be on trip advisor. A wonderful establishment.
Reviewed 13 March 2023

I have had a few meals in bars where the focus was clearly not on the food. When you walk into this whiskey temple, just looking at the walls at the thousands of bottles all around you should say that the food is not the focus. All that being said, I had a great meal here while I admit that I was also here to drink. I started out with the deviled eggs with pickled jalapenos - a great start to give you a good basis to drink on. I then had the mushroom scallop risotto, which was an extremely wonderful surprise. Scallops were tender, the mushrooms not mushy, and the risotto very satisfying and warm. My highest compliments come from my giving the bartender dealer's choice for drinks for me with my request including rye to start. I ended up with a freehanded drink, a monte cassino, and a pop quiz. I got there early and the place really filled up as I was eating, so yes, expect this place to be really busy if you come here during "bar time". The bartender was my server as a solo at the bar, and he was friendly and extremely helpful. The online menu of all the whiskeys is utterly overwhelming, so have some idea of what you want to try to help focus you. I would happily come back again and again and again.

Date of visit: March 2023

Reviewed 5 March 2023

While hanging out in Adams Morgan on a Saturday night, a group of us stopped in here… Many of them had been before, it was my first time. The place was packed, but we were able to find a spot to stand and grab some drinks. Drinks were decently made, bartender was helpful, but the rest of the staff wasn’t too helpful, rather more rushed due to the amount of patrons. They have a nice cocktail list and offer a huge selection of whiskey. Prices are fair, for DC that is. The biggest issue were the other patrons, very rude and like to bump people, while is crazy for being such scrawny little geeky people, but I guess being in larger groups empowers them to act this way. Be prepared to have to deal with that if you go on a busy weekend evening.

Date of visit: March 2023
Reviewed 19 January 2023 via mobile

Whisky selection is a five, but the food a three. Come for the drinks, leave for the food. Service is good, but would eat elsewhere.

Date of visit: September 2022
1  Thank NorwegianOx
Reviewed 20 September 2022

The whiskey flight was amazing and expertly tailored to us by the server. The food and mixed drinks were terrible. We ordered the Supper plate which was a great deal of food, but everything was overly salty. My cocktail was disappointing as well.

Date of visit: September 2022
Reviewed 22 February 2022 via mobile

Great selection of Bourbons and outstanding food. Went to meet a buddy for dinner and drinks while in DC for work. We didn’t have reservations but the host said give him a few minutes and he would find us a table. In less than 10 minutes we had a table. We each ordered a beer to start and some fried chicken skins off the happy hour menu. The juicy IPA was outstanding, the fried chicken skins and the sauce were really good.
Our server asked us what kind of bourbons we liked. We talked a few minutes. He made some suggestions for a flight and we told him a price point and our server built us a very nice three Bourbon flight at our price point.
After the Bourbon flight we ordered the Jack Burger which was wonderful.
We had a few more juicy IPAs with the burgers and after.
Overall a great visit, great service even though crowded, great food and an amazing selection of over 2,000 Bourbons. They also have a bottle shop for Bourbon to go and the prices were not bad.
Will definitely return on my next trip to DC.

Date of visit: February 2022