“Not too bad, not too good.”

HI Washington DC Hostel
GreenLeadersGold level
London, United Kingdom
“Not too bad, not too good.”
Reviewed 8 December 2011

The staff here were really nice and good, although they did put on some fairly weird entertainment. Hostel itself was alright; fairly basic common area which didn't really have enough space for everyone. That being said, there was a communal guitar and piano and a pool table. Despite this, the hostel wasn't brilliant socially and the common area was mostly people on their laptops (maybe because they couldn't access them in their rooms).

The lift going up to the rooms was horrendously slow, and there was no wireless access on the top floor where we were staying. The rooms themselves were pretty standard, but certainly nothing wrong with them. There were plenty of bathrooms and the free breakfast was great.

Location wise it was decent, not too far from most of the attractions and in a safe neighbourhood. Overall, a decent hostel, but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank beznee
Mark-GM, General Manager at HI Washington DC Hostel, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
beznee: It's too bad we didn't give you the hostel experience that made you ecstatic to stay with us. We want to "Wow" you, but didn't get there. To start, I'm happy to read that our team was nice.

We have daily activities, and you mentioned some of the amenities, but there's nothing quite like ambiance to get people interacting. It's quite a challenge to get people to move out of the virtual world of their laptops and engage in the here and now.

If anyone has ideas for this, I'd really appreciate a note. Feel free to write to me at reserve@hiwashingtondc.org. Thanks!

~ Mark Schneider, General Manager HI-DC

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 3 December 2011

This hostel is in a great location, free breakfast, free wifi, great dining room, computer area and tv room. My problems with this place are the lack of privacy in the showers (only a curtained off shower, nowhere dry to keep your stuff without getting dressed in front of everyone using the bathroom). The kitchen is far too small and badly designed, everyone is in everyone elses way, and it's a haven for thieves, I've never had so much food stolen in all my travels. The dorms are roomy and clean with a locker for your valuables. I would stay here again but I'd break the no food in your room rule and keep my food in my locker.

One last thing, if they are having school groups stay maybe the staff could check in on each level occasionally at night. With the chaperones nowhere to be found it would be nice to have someone "in charge" to make them keep the noise down.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Nicola W: Lots of positives in your review, and a few justified notes and concerns. Thank you for providing a well balanced description of your experience. Most of the challenges you described either have a remedy in place or will have one soon.

We're going to get changing areas put in the showers. With a little luck, these should be in by the end of the Summer. It's a challenging one to get them in place without too much impact on current hostellers.

Our Night Crew walks through the property every hour. If there is noise, please let us know, and we'll take care of it right away. We have quiet hours posted from 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM that need to be respected for the comfort of all.

I"m sorry about your food going missing. I trust that you labeled your food (we provide the labels and bins). Otherwise, your food may have been mistaken for the Free Food we leave for hostellers.

The Kitchen layout is the toughest one. We already saved most of the money and started speaking with an architect to renovate the entire 2nd Floor (Kitchen, Dining Room, TV Room). This is a big renovation and will take a good 2 or more years to complete. Again, we need to do the work, but at the same time ensure hostelles still can use the space.

Again, thanks for all your inputs!

Reviewed 23 November 2011

They charge you an extra fee if you're not a member which they don't tell you about until after you've booked it. They have lockers but they don't have locks so you have to go buy your own. If you want to store your bag the day you check out you have to use a different set of lockers which cost $4. They put me in a top bunk above someone else when there were 3 other open bunks so I woke they person below me up when i got in late and he woke me up when he got up early. The night staff was not friendly.

• Stayed November 2011
Brando1023: It appears that our communication during booking was less than stellar. I'm truly sorry you had unpleasant surprises. The information you mentioned ($3 fee for non-members, free in-room lockers with your own lock) is on our website, on the booking engine sites, on email templates (for email reservation requests), and on all confirmation email messages (sent to hostellers for all reservations, regardless of how they are booked).

Also, we have trained our team to tell callers when they book over the phone. If you made a phone reservation, we may have not told you all that we should have, and I apologize. Even if that's the case, I hope you received the confirmation email. I will speak with my team to ensure we're relaying information

From time to time, we receive a comment about the additional storage lockers ($4 for 24 hours) to store luggage pre-check-in or post-check-out. We tried offering a free luggage storage room, but had trouble with security. The only other option we could find, that still offered a secure option, was to ask a vendor to supply the lockers to ensure that safety of people's belongings. We don't own these lockers, so it's not a matter of money. It's all about security.

I hope this helps. Thank you for telling me about what disappointed you so that we can improve.

Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 November 2011

I stayed here for 6 nights.
First 4 nights was in a 4 bed dorm (i.e. 2 bunk beds) and although my roommates were great, the bunk beds were not conducive to a good nights sleep. Shared bathrooms with a lot of French schoolgirls was a bit of a challenge, especially to get to the one hair-dryer!!!
However the last 2 nights were in a private room, which was fantastic. My own bathroom and toilet, with a small kitchenette (and coffee maker, with coffee provided- nice touch). Top floor , cnr appartment had great views. (paid about $100 US/night for this luxury) but I think this is great value in Washington, with great location, only 6 blocks from the White House!
Only issue was the elevator. Only one, and extremely slow. So when I was on the 5th floor, not so bad, but walking up and down 8 floors was a bit tough!
Was clean and the staff helpful. Security good, with electronic key cards. Laundry in the basement, $1 wash and $1 for drying. Great for travellers who're on a budget. Also breakfast is included. Basic but plentiful.
Would definately stay here again.

Room Tip: Private room if you can afford it. 8th floor. Cnr apartment.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank AichZed
AichZed: A treasure trove of info in your review, all of which seemed to be just what you wanted. The single exception was the slow elevator (we call her Suzie). Not much to add to that. She's slow, but reliable. Thanks for all of the great insights! ~ Mark Schneider, General Manager HI-DC
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Desk staff very friendly and helpful, try to get everyone involved in activities together. Felt safe in the room, was in a room of 10 females but the shape of the room and where the walls were made each bunk quite private. I hung up my towels for extra privacy when I had a nap during the day. The bathroom was alright but I was very happy to use it considering I felt safe and the price I paid to stay here. There was a wide variety of guests from all over the world including Australia, Germany, England, California, China and more. There was also a wide range of ages which was nice. The breakfast choice was very good, you do have to wash up your own dishes though which is totally fair enough but if you are in a rush the queue to the sink can be a disruption. The lounge was very comfy and the tv was nice. There was an elevator which was useful. Staff were very happy to give us extra towels and any information . Location wasn't the best but it wasn't too far from all the main attractions either. Would definitely go here again!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
BubblyPenguin2000: All great comments, and all right on the money! The best part for me was reading about your meeting interesting and friendly people from all over the world. As someone who works for a non-profit whose mission in cultural understanding, this is supremely gratifying. Thanks for making my day! ~ Mark Schneider, General Manager HI-DC