“Nice hotel but difficult to get to town” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington DC-Northeast

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington DC-Northeast
Ranked #109 of 140 Hotels in Washington DC
Dortmund, Germany
“Nice hotel but difficult to get to town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

This hotel is a very stylish hotel relatively close to Washington DC main station.
The hotel has a shuttle service to the main station, the issue is just that the shuttle is not running all day. They stop between 1 and 4 or 5 pm and if you try to get to the center during this time you would have to get there by public transportation. This is the next tricky thing as you wait up to an hour for a taxi and with buses it is difficult we were told by the staff. You need to walk if you don't want to wait for a taxi or you wait until the shuttle is commuting again.
The staff was really nice, so we were lucky and one of the employees took us quickly to the main station.
It is difficult to vote on the hotel actually. The hotel as such and the staff is great. Given the fact that it is difficult to get around between lunchtime and 5pm I am not sure I would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jessica G
Sarah G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington DC-Northeast, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We are very happy to hear you had such a wonderful stay and enjoyed our hotel so much. Thank you for the staff and accommodations compliments. We take all reviews seriously and listen to what our guests say. We apologize for the issues you encountered with our shuttle schedule. Understanding that our guests are not always ready when we are to depart the hotel or be picked up at Metro is the first step we need to take to improve upon our shuttle services.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

Flew in from LAX having stayed at HI X the night before. As expected, cookie cut mould except this one has a heated indoor (albeit heavily chrorinated pool). Room is very cleanas expected as with other HI X but pillows are again too soft.

Breakfast is as expected bland with powdered omelette but here at least they have yogurt, bananas and bagels.Coffee in brewer in room is too weak for my liking.

Whilst no complaints about cleanliness and smartness of hotel, the distance from DC heart is a negative (i had to pay $18m to get here from downtown). Other negatives it is next to a busy highway and with only fast food joints (KFC and similar) you are stranded without a car and it is too far to go downtown for your dinner if you have come back in the afternoon.

Another downside is the price and this is post cherry season and my last minute booking costs $200 and if i booked earlier i would find decent 3 star hotels downtown close to eating establishments. So unless you have a got a car or intend to come back to hotel only to sleep after a day's walk, HI X WA is really considered outskirt cut out from civilisation unless you ride the shuttle which some has described as erratic. I would not lay blame on drive so quickly as it is fair way downtown,

I got my shuttle to Union Station next morning within 15 mins so it is handy if you are headed out to catch an AMTRAK the next morning.

Would not recommend unless you got a car otherwise you can be marooned,

Room Tip: do not take the 01 rooms on each floor as it is next to a van parking yard where some of the vehicle...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Highadventurer
Sarah G, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington DC-Northeast, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Our entire team would like to apologize for not exceeding your expectations while staying with us and we would like to thank you for taking time to let us know about your experience. We will use your feed back to help us implement improvements for a future stay.
Lexington Park, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

My husband was having surgery at Washington Hospital Center. This Holiday Inn went above and beyond hospitality during my nerve wracking stay.
First off they had a complimentary shuttle to the hospital daily, as well as a shuttle to almost anywhere in the vicintity to metro stops and Union Station.
The day of my husband's surgery I saw that the morning shuttle was not schueduled to start until 6:00 am and I needed to be with my husnband around 5:00 am. No PROBLEM the front desk told me, SECURITY would take me to the hospital at whatever time I needed!!
What a relief since my husband was having open heart surgery and I was all by myself.
The staff was most helpful during my 6 night stay. They were the only family I had. I don't know what I would have done with out them. Hotel is clean and safe in an otherwise scary looking section of DC. Will be back for more fun in DC once my husband has recovered!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank LongsPeak2121
Daniel Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington DC-Northeast, responded to this review, 2 May 2012
I would like to thank our guest for taking the time out of their schedule to post their comments on trip advisor. We certainly understand the difficulty of having a loved one hospitalized and are only too happy to take the worry of lodging and transportation off their mind so that they may devote all of their love and attention to what is most important, family.
hampton roads, va
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

We stayed here because of the indoor pool & whirlpool and free shuttle. The shuttle is always late so watch out when you make dinner reservations. We got to witness one driver fuss the other one out for being late. The pool and whirlpool are cold. We weren't told that the hot tub was broken when we arrived which was very irritating. The front desk guy wasn't very helpful and asked if we wanted to leave the hotel to find another one. Nice. I asked about other hotels in the area that had pools and whirlpools and he said there was one next door and we could check in over there if we wanted. I asked if we could just use their facilities and he said "oh yeah". By the way, the hot tub next door is 105 degrees and allows screaming 2 year olds in it. There was a party and/or fighting going on all during the a.m. hours on our floor complete with shouting, slamming doors and stomping around and no one answered the desk phone when I called at 4 am. We should've called the police. We mentioned this the next morning and were told a manager would call our cell phone and no one ever did. There was a thick black, curly hair in my eggs in the morning which was icing on the cake. The manager on duty the morning of check out had to hear the story we had told to 2 others with no resolution. She finally did something and took off the room charge for the first night. I have to add that the staff was pleasant even though our issues were not really addressed until check out.

Room Tip: Make sure there isn't a party group on your floor & ask if the facilities are working.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Daniel Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Washington DC-Northeast, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Good morning,

Thank you for taking the time to express your concerns regarding your recent stay with us, your feedback is certainly valued and we take every guest concern seriously. I would like to first apologize that your recent experience was anything less than exceptional as our goal is to not only meet, but exceed each guests expecations as we certainly know you have may choices within the Washington, DC area and we more than appreciate your decision to stay with us. In our ongoing efforts to maintain high quality, we are in the process of replacing the whirl pool heater which was was regrettably out of service during your stay with us, however I will work to ensure our front desk agents properly communicate to each guest that you are welcome to utilize the services and facilities of our sister property across the parking lot. I will also speak with the hotel team regarding better communication in effectively resolving your concerns at the time they occur rather than at check-out so that we can remedy any issues that may arise rather than have you leave frustrated. Again, I certainly thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention as we continually work to improve the guest experience each and every day.
Houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2012

This was a new and nice hotel. The bed was comfortable and the towels were soft. This hotel is NOT close to Union Station, 15 min drive. The shuttle service is not prompt nor on time. We signed up for a 5p and didn’t get picked up till 5:40 pm. Not expectable when you paid for a tour that does start on time. The driver even argued with me that I didn’t sign up; only for the front desk clerk to tell him he was wrong and can’t read. Also the shuttle stops running between noon and 5p, make plans accordingly. Breakfast was good. Point of interest... not a good neighborhood to walk after dark.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple