Phoenix Park Hotel(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
USD 442
USD 175
Free cancellation until 26/07
USD 205
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of USD 229/night.

USD 248
  • Room Service
Hyatt Regency Washington on Capitol Hill(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 25/07
Book now, pay at stay
USD 320
  • Pool
The Dupont Circle(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 28/07
Book now, pay at stay
USD 247
USD 202
USD 175
  • Breakfast included
Hamilton Hotel Washington DC(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
USD 155
  • Restaurant
The River Inn(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
Free cancellation until 28/07
USD 179
USD 148
  • Restaurant
Washington Court Hotel(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
USD 181
USD 133
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Georgetown Suites(Washington DC)(Great Value!)
USD 208
USD 151
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsroom renovationsdupont circleshaving kitgalley kitchenfront deskfull size refrigeratorpleasant hoteldefinitely stay here againbest featuresitting roombusiness or pleasurethe general managerbusiness tripconstruction noisem streetan upgraderoom was large
Reviewed 4 April 2018

This was only my second visit to this hotel, but it will not be my last!
The service & staff are extremely pleasant and helpful, the rooms large and clean and bright and modern.
And the St. Gregory is the best "value" in the District when traveling on a limited expense account budget!

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank Jimmy-the-G-man
Robert C, General Manager at The St. Gregory Hotel Dupont Circle, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Greetings from The St Gregory Hotel,

We are happy to welcome you back Jimmy the G man! We will share your positive feedback with the team as we are always inspired when our guests applaud our team for excellence in service and friendliness. That is what hospitality is all about! We are happy you like the new and improved rooms at the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you visit Washington DC! We appreciate your loyalty and feedback!

All the Best,

Reviewed 27 March 2018

I found St. Gregory on TA and although I was wary about construction, I booked three nights on business (early March) and hoped for the best. I tried to book the room directly through the hotel but was put-off by staff who didn’t sound very professional. So I just booked online and made a note that I wanted a renovated room. That went smoothly, and the room was noted when I checked in.

My feeling about St. Gregory is that they are trying hard to be a 4-5 star hotel, but they can’t quite get themselves out of the 3-star rut, both in room quality and staff.

I wound up in a renovated room on the 9th floor (no construction noise at all but I was gone during the day). Note that as of early March, the 2nd floor had old carpeting, so I’m guessing that this is not a renovated floor. Also, occasionally the elevator doors opened on the 5th floor, which clearly had rooms in the middle of renovation.

My room seemed nice (aside from the new vinyl smell which could be headache inducing), but unfortunately, the room renovations appear to be all “surface” with no substance.

Examples:
—They may not have replaced the room doors, which are very lightweight and therefore not very sound proof. Hallway conversations were pretty audible, especially on the first night when a large group was talking and shouting on the floor at 3:00 a.m. followed by two women holding a long loud conversation outside my door for about 1/2 hour. The doors are not heavy quality hotel doors and therefore do not help to sound-proof hallway noise. Slider closet doors a little flimsy as well.

—I don’t think the heating/AC units were replaced in the renovations. The unit was so LOUD that it woke me up every time the heat kicked in. This is a HUGE oversight in renovation. In fact, each time the unit went on, if the TV was also on, I had to turn up the sound on the TV in order to hear it over the heating/AC unit. It was a bad choice not to update the heating/AC units (if none were updated), because this will always bring down the quality of the room.

—The bathroom looks great, but again there are flaws: There is not enough light (just one in center of the room; no light over the sink) and there is no bath fan. The water pressure was terrible.

—The room decor is nice overall. The desk lamp was not working when I got in, but the front desk had it fixed quickly while I was out. Why was the lamp not working in a newly refurbished room? And the lamp plug was behind a very heavy desk that was impossible to move so I couldn’t troubleshoot the lamp problem on my own. Also all of the tabletops are white with glass tops. Lovely, but you can see every speck of dirt, smudge, and finger prints from previous guests or housekeeping. I wiped everything down myself, because the smudges and fingerprints were unsettling. The burden will be on housekeeping to keep these surfaces clean.

Business Center Security:
As an added note, the “business center” is a lone room past an ice machine in a fairly out of the way spot on the 2nd floor; it is not staffed, is open 24 hours, and does not have a house phone or security keypad that I noticed. While the room itself is newly finished, the 2nd floor is not. As I found my way there, I remember thinking that I would not want to be in this room late at night as it’s pretty secluded. I needed to print a boarding pass, but the computer I was using said to print from the “other” computer. There was no other computer in the room. I had to use my own mobile to call the front desk. I was told that there had been a 2nd computer until recently, but I was welcomed to print my pass at the front desk, which they did. The front desk was very accommodating and very nice. However, I learned from the staff that the 2nd computer had been stolen two nights prior. Someone had snipped the wires and walked out with the desktop. This was alarming to me, because as I noted, the room is not staffed, not secured, and there is no house phone in the room, which is on a non-renovated floor that’s possibly not well-occupied. I am concerned that management has not thought through security issues or the potential safety of its guests. Upon check-out even the doorman said that they had had problems with strangers accessing the floors until they installed security keypads on the elevators. Any number of improvements could be made to the business center: keypad access, house phone in room, move room to a more public/well-traveled space.

Check-In and Check-Out:
Wonderful doorman! The front desk is very welcoming. Upon check-in, I was handed messages and check-in paperwork for another guest (mistakes happen) but when I returned to the desk, I was asked to confirm my room number out-loud in front of strangers. Not good form and no consideration of privacy.

Check-out was fast and easy. I asked for a cab to Reagan. A car drove up, I got in, and it wasn’t until late that I found out that I was in a $30 fixed-price car to Reagan. This price had to be twice as much as a normal cab fare in the wee hours of the morning. This is NOT what I requested! (As a matter of fact, I spent $30 going twice the distance (Northeast DC) during my late-night arrival to the city.) I felt completely misled and deceived but there was nothing much I could do when I arrived at airport.

I wish I could give St. Gregory more stars, but the two stars reflect my overall experience from loud heating unit, to water pressure, to hallway noise, to sketchy security, to my ride to Reagan. The hotel is fine on the surface, but doesn’t measure up when/where it counts.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Robert C, General Manager at The St. Gregory Hotel Dupont Circle, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2018

Greetings from The St Gregory,

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort for such a thorough explanation of your experiences here. We appreciate that you are understanding of the process of our room renovations and you would be accurate in stating we are not quite there yet as we are in the middle of renovations. We have not completed all the details and amenities within all the rooms to date. We would be happy to invite you back later this Spring when everything is actually completed so you can have a world class experience along with the great service that you mentioned about our team members.

We are sorry about the noise created form other guests in the hallway. Please let us know in the future by calling the desk. We will gladly send security to address other guests as they might not even realize how loud or disruptive they might be to other guests like you. We certainly want everyone to be happy and comfortable and respect each other to provide the environment of quiet enjoyment

Reviewed 25 March 2018

When I first got to the hotel, I parked in the front unloading dock to check in. As soon as I walked into the hotel, I was asked if I needed the $42 valet. I said no thank you but then I was asked again. I again told the doorman no, I did not need the valet. He went on to make it sound like I had to pay $42 to valet the car in order to use the unloading dock until I directly asked him if I had to pay $42 to use it and check-in. He then told me no and after 10 minutes of back and forth allowed me to check in. The women at the check-in desk was extremely nice, but on my way out I was again asked about the valet. In total, I was asked about the valet 5 times until I had to forcefully tell the doorman that no, I did not have the additional $42 a night to spend on his valet and I had no plan of using it. There is ample street parking and a $8 lot directly next door. Throughout the entire exchange, the doorman pressured the valet on me and tried to make it seem like I had to valet in order to stay at the hotel.

After I got to the room, which was not the room I ordered missing a kitchenette, I heard drilling and loud hammering. These construction noises started every day at 8am and did not end until 8pm, or often later. These are not soft noises; they make it impossible to fall asleep and wake you up if you somehow do get to sleep. I was not warned of any construction before booking, which I feel is extremely deceiving. It was impossible to stay in the room because of these loud, constant noises.

In addition, twice in the first hour, hotel staff let themselves into my room. The first time, 30 mins after I arrived, a cleaning women came into the room unannounced and without any explanation. The women went into my bathroom and started moving things around, so I got out of bed and asked her why she was in the room. I just checked in so I did not see any reason for a cleaning women to come. She apologized and left with no explanation. 30 minutes after that, as I was about to fall asleep, I heard knocking on the door again, which I ignored because I was trying to sleep. This time I put the security latch on the door so they were not able to enter, but they did open the door. Just like the first time, they did not announce themselves, they did not give any explanation, they just opened the door. Since it was locked, they just shut the door and never explained why they tried to enter. There is a really weird vibe going on with this hotel staff. This incident scared me as a women traveling alone and it made me feel extremely unsafe. I do not know why twice in my first hour someone tried to enter my room without asking.

The lobby of the hotel is visually appealing but otherwise, this hotel should be avoided.

Room Tip: Cheap street parking all around the hotel or in garage directly next door
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family

Greetings from The St Gregory Hotel,

Thank you for your feedback. It is very informative so that we can improve our training and focus on areas where we do not exceed expectations. We are happy to offer valet service for our guests, we are sorry that they did not heed your first response and allow you the leisurely check in process upon arrival. We are happy to offer those services which other hotels do not, but we certainly do not want anyone to feel pressured.

We also apologize for the imposition of renovations at the hotel where we are upgrading and modernizing all of our rooms which are absent of full kitchenettes and the cleaning teams associated with renovations.

We would certainly hope that you will come back and give us another opportunity in the ear future as we are nearly complete with the room renovations and these issues will be resolved.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

This is a very good hotel spoilt by the current renovations that are taking place. Awful noise starts at 7.00am. Water gets turned off at 10am. No information given at booking or at check in about this. Rooms are lovely.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Robert C, General Manager at The St. Gregory Hotel Dupont Circle, responded to this reviewResponded 25 March 2018

Greetings from the St Gregory Louise and Ian,

I am so terribly sorry that the current renovations and construction across the street had a negative impact upon your stay. I am glad to her that you find the rooms to be lovely and a good hotel. I'm not sure why you would not have received a welcome letter explaining the emergency water shutoff which we issued but again--please forgive the imposition. We would hope that you can give us another opportunity during a future visit to Washington DC as the renovations are to be completed within a couple of weeks time from today. We certainly want you to experience the stunning new room product with a quiet and enjoyable environment. We thank you for your time and feedback.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

Staff was friendly and informative and willing to answer questions regarding hotel and local attractions. Room was large and very clean. Excellent wifi and overall enjoyable stay, would come back again.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Robert C, General Manager at The St. Gregory Hotel Dupont Circle, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2018

Greetings MYIANO,

Thank you so much for your time and feedback! We are so happy that you had a great experience and that the staff was friendly and helpful! We will share your positive comments with the team as it inspires us to be the best we can be everyday!

We look forward to welcoming you back again at The St Gregory Hotel!

All the Best,