“Like-home hospitality, great food and drink.”
Review of Ghana Cafe - CLOSED

Ghana Cafe
Cuisines: African, Japanese
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Description: Ghana Cafe is an authentic Ghanaian cusine in downtown Washington, DC, four blocks from K & 14th Street, NW. The restaurant is a favorite hangout of expatriates, Peace Corps, diplomats, office workers, foreigners, non-gvernmental workers, etc. We have fufu (pounded yam, ebba) Red Red, Kenkey, shito,groundnut soup, goat. Excellent vegetarian and vegan choices. Wash it down with African beer: Star, Club, Gulder, Castel. If you like Indian food, you'll love Ghana Cafe.
Worldwide
“Like-home hospitality, great food and drink.”
Reviewed 4 May 2011

What a great neighborhood! Across the street is Birch&Barley/ChurchKey, considered by RateBeer.org participants the best watering hole in the District. And here, you can get your African beer with good West African food!

I'm a former 6+ year resident of Ghana. I was first introduced to Ghana Cafe about a decade ago, in its former location. Then Ghana Cafe moved, I moved to Asia, and just got a chance to enjoy this place in its current location.

Our group had fufu and stew with goat meat, and plantain & beans, plus beer (Star & Gulder from Ghana, Castle dark from South Africa and Tusker from Kenya). On a Thursday evening the place was fairly full, service was fine (including the owner putting some favorites into the sound system for me). We spent longer here than planned, lingering over the good food, drink, and talk (including catching up with the owner), before proceeding across the street for a night-cap.

Altogether, I had high expectations, which were very nicely exceeded.

BTW, we were only drinking beer and water. I can't remember if the bar had additional choices. The place is open almost to midnight on weekdays.

• Visited April 2011