“Damn good!”
Review of Founding Farmers

Founding Farmers
Reserve with OpenTable
Founding Farmers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #35 of 3,284 Restaurants in Washington DC
Price range: USD 15 - USD 50
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Foggy Bottom - GWU - West End
Cross street: 20th St. / Pennsylvania Ave. (Foggy Bottom)
Transit: There are two Metro stops within 3 blocks of the restaurant, Orange/Blue lines at Farragut West or Foggy Bottom/GWU. The red DC Circulator bus Georgetown/Union Station line stops on Pennsylvania Ave. at 21st street, as well as on K Street and on 19th, all just one block away.
Description: Founding Farmers, the Greenest Restaurant in DC, is owned by the more than 40,000 family farmers of the NDFU, serving American inspired real food and drink with an emphasis and focus on cooking from scratch. While our restaurant is supplied by hundreds of family farms everywhere, that doesn't mean we know every farm, and that doesn't mean we never have to buy product from the traditional (corporate) supply chain, but it does mean we're working hard to direct our purchasing dollars where it aligns with our values. We're serving the best food we can, made from scratch in our kitchens every day. Our innovative, American dishes are made primarily with pure ingredients honoring the farmers and their hard-earned bounty.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

A friend recommended Founding Farmers for brunch, so that's what we did!
Jumped in an Uber and arrived to a well packed place. That's usually a good sign so I was intrigued.

We placed our name with the hostess who told us it's an 1 hour wait...he also said if we decided to get a seat at the bar just let him know.

We stalked out the bar for about 10m and scored 2 seats!

I ordered Moroccan Mint tea to start and HB got a Bloody Mary. As I sipped my tea lol, we decided on our meals.

I got French toast with egg whites w/ broccoli + spinach. I really enjoyed the French toast! The egg whites are way too SALTY for my liking. The chef or whoever is cooking the eggs should not add salt and leave that up to the patron.

HB ordered Vegetable Scrambles and that too was way too salty! Anyway, as we chatted with the bartender, I was noticing a raspberry color drink that seemed very popular and decided to get it. It was Strawberry Fiz -- SO DELICIOUS!!!!

HB also order a screwdriver, which I tasted and that too was pretty good!

Another couple sat next to us and ordered the Banana Fost pancakes and they said that was a hit, so because HB didn't enjoy his first meal, and he originally came for the pancakes, we ordered a second round of Strawberry Fiz with the pancakes to go :-).

On our way back to NY, the pancakes were a hit!

I'd definite return to Founding Farmers. Pleasant staff, great food, and cool vibes on a Sunday....just the way I like it!!!!

Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Founding Farmers, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your feedback. Delicious, fresh, quality food is exactly what we strive to provide you with and I'm glad we can say mission accomplished!

I am sorry about the wait time, and we really appreciate your patience. In the future, please feel free to make a reservation on our website. This just makes the check in process a tad easier.

We can't wait to have you back to sample more off of our menu :)

There are newer reviews for Founding Farmers

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Great spot, co-opped by farmers. Fantastic menu, great decor, and an amazing bar.

Staff was very knowledgeable and friendly, and food and drinks were spectacular.

Menu is very reasonably priced as well--and the portions are very healthy.

Great spot-great people!

Get there early--or you'll wait.

Thank you!

Julie S, Guest Relations Manager at Founding Farmers, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We strive to offer the total package from wonderful, knowledgeable staff members to a delicious menu, all in a delightful atmosphere. Happy to see mission accomplished!

We hope to see you again soon!

Cheers,

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

A very popular spot! We stopped in early and made early reservations (6:00pm) and STILL had to wait, but not like some others. We'd gone out of our way to eat here, and I'm not sure it was worth that for my tired feet. Bar drinks very expensive; food was good, but honestly not as good as I was expecting after reading some of the reviews. It was a Monday night, and folks were "double-parked" at the bar right across from our booth. Our server was top-notch, however, and went out of his way to help us choose, and even to suggest and explain the easiest way for us to walk to the Metro as we left the restaurant. I found the breading too heavy on the friend green tomatoes. Seemed the chicken pot pie was the winner at our table!

Hi There,

We can't wait to have you back to sample more off of our menu :)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

The food is unreal. We had the beef tartar which comes topped with deviled eggs as a starter. Cocktails were small but strong. I had the best chicken and waffles of my life, the maple syrup was literally the food of gods. My boyfriend had the avocado burger which he called one of his favorites of all time

Hi there Randy,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your feedback. I am thrilled to read how much you enjoyed your trip to Founding Farmers! I’m so glad we were able to give you a memorable experience. Attentive service and delicious food is exactly what we are going for, so mission accomplished.

We can’t wait to have you back soon for another yummy meal!

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Reservation is highly recommended.
We were seated immediately by a welcoming staff.
The staff was professional, expeditious and attentive.
We commenced with assorted deviled eggs which were absolutely devine.
The prosciutto...a great combination of flavours that had you yearning for more.
We select the chicken and waffle and the farmhouse platter. All I have to say is ...make a reservation.
We also had the apple pie and carrot cake.
Apple pie was a bit sweet for my palate and the carrot cake is pending due our absolute gluttony that will be determined.
It is a must visit in Washington DC.

Hi there,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We absolutely always recommend a reservation to avoid long wait times. The Devilish Eggs and Prosciutto Fig Farmbread are certainly two favorites! I am so glad our wonderful front desk team provided a warm welcome, and the positive experience continued all the way through your meal.

We hope to see you again soon.

Cheers,