“Home is Where the Art Is”

National Portrait Gallery
Smithsonian American Art Small Group Adventure
Ranked #16 of 493 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: Visitors can view the portraits of all the U.S. presidents.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

The American Art Museum has an exhibit by a Korean artist exploring the idea of ‘’home.” He made a structure out a a thin gossamer fabric that represents the physical house and sculpts homey items such as door knobs and microwave ovens and outlets. This may be of help to those who are unclear on the concept of home (“Home is wherever I’m with you”) or it may add to the confusion.
Included below is the state license plate exhibit “We the people”-clever!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,058)
All reviews
"on display"
in 69 reviews
"my favorite"

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We decided to visit the gallery to see the new portraits of Michelle and Barack Obama. The scavenger hunt to find them provided us with a great overview of the rest of the gallery.
This is a beautiful building, the covered courtyard is a wonderful space. Wandering through the galleries and browsing the information on the walls was a very enjoyable way to glimpse snippets of history of some remarkable people.
We were there on a Saturday, so the popular pieces, which after all is why we made the visit were jam-packed with visitors. Museum staff managed the crowds well, allowing everyone a moment to be with the paintings before cycling them out.

I intended to revisit on a less busy day, but a snowstorm closed the building for 2 days.

One of the best things about museums in D.C. is that they are no fee entry... so it’s not as big of a commitment and it’s just fine to spend an hour or so and revisit next time you’re in town. If it was $20 to get in I would feel like I had to explore every nook and cranny, or I would prioritize going elsewhere. I love being able to take the galleries in in digestible bites.

2  Thank Catriona R
Reviewed 5 April 2018

It was wonderful to see the portraits in person. there are many portraits of all kinds of people , some very some not so famous. I enjoyed looking at the difference style of painting techniques.

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Loved the docent-led tour. It lasted about an hour and gave us much more context about the artists and their subjects than if we’d wandered around on our own. I get the impression that each docent has his/her own favorite paintings that he/she features so if you went on multiple tours, the highlights would be the same but there would likely be some new info too. Very knowledgeable docent who was happy to teach, in an accessible manner. The hour flew by and we would have been happy to keep going!