We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holguin
Blau Costa Verde Plus Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Holguin
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Check in at the resort was very quick and easy, usually is at this resort. Concierge service was right there to take us to our room.

The rooms on the plus side are modern and clean, non-plus side they are dated but this is why we stay on the plus side. While we were at the lobby bar a few days into our vacation we seen the staff taking new mattresses to the rooms on the non-plus side by the truck loads. As the biggest complaint we had about that side when we stayed there was the hard mattresses, we were glad to see them being replaced for the patrons now staying there.

The only real difference in our recent visit verses past visits was the food. It was a very limited selection, we did notice a lot of leftovers from the previous night’s dinner at breakfast and lunch, but we did expect this as the hurricanes devastated most of the island and surrounding islands making supplies short in demand. As long as visitors understand this it shouldn’t hinder their vacation
Maid service in the room, as with all service at this resort, was great! They were there during lunch every day! We left a note asking for more coffee and sugar in our room, and it was provided generously. There was always a display made of blankets left for us, and occasionally a towel display in the bathroom too! As we were returning guest, celebrating an anniversary, we arrived to a bottle of rum and a bottle of champagne in our room. We were as well given a first floor room as requested at booking. Mid week we returned to our room to find an additional bottle of dark rum left for us... a nice surprise! Water pressure/temperature and air conditioning was good, had no issues there!

Pools and amenities were excellent! Pools were very clean and welcoming. This resort is very clean and well maintained. The ambiance is beautiful! Walking paths everywhere and it’s surrounded by forest and gardens! There is a bit of walking to get from one side to the other, but there are bars and restaurants throughout, so if need be you can grab a drink or two along the way. They don’t have poolside or beach service, although there is a beach bar and bar in every pool, you have to go to the bar to get service. That is the only complaint I could see anyone having, although it’s not a big deal for us.

They have many activities daily at both the pool and beach, although I can’t really comment on them because we don’t attend them. They do provide snorkel equipment at the beach, but we bring our own with us. This resort is set on a beautiful cove, and the snorkeling here is better than the excursions (we know this from experience) not just the excursions offered here, but other places we visited too! There are an amazing amount and variety of fish here! The beach is gorgeous and mostly fine sand, but there are some rocky areas in the water, but its corral that provide the fish! If you bring water shoes, you’ll have no complaints!! By far my favorite beach!

We do go on excursions every time we visit Cuba, and they are both informative and fun! Our favorite excursions were the safari (done this one twice!) and the VIP Departure with Holguin tour. If you have to opportunity to do this one take it, it’s well worth the pesos! It is only offered to those with a late departure, who travel with Air Canada or Sunwing vacations. We highly recommend doing the excursions, but you’ll need more than one trip to do them all lol.

The weather here is amazing! The weather network forecasts rain every day, but that is only because of the high temperatures and humidity. It did rain for about 5 minutes here and there, but was mainly at night. Not once did we get caught in the rain! This area of Cuba was barely affected by the hurricanes, the limitation on food selection was the biggest affect we seen. The staff did an amazing job of cleaning it up and restoring its glory post hurricane.

I also want to mention that reviews we read from others on Tripadvisor complained about the resort being busy on the weekends due to the locals that come in. Yes it does get a little busier, but the locals are just as courteous and friendly as the staff! If you really want to know where to go and what to do in Cuba... well who best to ask then those locals! I don’t really understand why there are those complaints, seriously, where else do you expect them to go for a weekend getaway, we love it there why wouldn’t the locals love it too!

We have been to this resort 3 times, and we love it! However, like most of the resorts in Cuba, this resort is recently under new management, and we were informed by the locals and some staff that it will soon have a new name to go with the new management... although no one knows what it will be called yet. Hopefully the management and name are all that change here!

We definitely will, and do, recommend this resort.

Room Tip: Pool/ocean view rooms are closet to amenities, while back units 2nd and 3rd floors actually get you...
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank gloria212017
ManagementBlauCV, Public Relations at Blau Costa Verde Plus Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear guests
It is very pleasant to read this review concerning your last visit in our resort. Thanks so much for recommending us.
Our staff work very hard to please all customers and we are very glad you recognize our job.

Regards
Lisbet Pérez- Public Relations

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Third visit to the "plus" side. If you do your homework and are flexible, I have seen the "plus" side less expensive than the standard. "Plus" offers more modern rooms, private pool and pool bar, additional (lobster) dinner and a
VIP bar.
The snorkeling is spectacular right at the hotel. No need to pay although there is an excellent dive shop on site.
We usually ate lunch at the snack bar by the "plus" pool. Good choice.
NEGATIVES: We often read comments about bartenders who will serve locals or cute girls before others or who
are too deep in conversation with co-workers to bother serving you. Nowhere is this more evident than at the lobby
bar. Time and time again we observed the bartender cut short a conversation with a co-worker to serve good-looking Cuban girls when other clients had been waiting for several minutes. On a couple of occasions clients voiced their displeasure but this changed nothing. It was rather insulting. I guess he's related to the manager!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank misterd67
ManagementBlauCV, Public Relations Rep at Blau Costa Verde Plus Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear misterd67
Thanks a lot for your review. It is always good to know what you think about us. We will have your comments in mind to keep improving our services and makes our guests staying more pleaseant.
Best regards
Elio Rodriguez
Public Relations Rep

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have travelled to Cayo Largo, Santa Maria and Guillermo over many years. I visited the Blau Costa Verde Plus side for a week, ending Nov.3, 2017 via Transat Vacations. The 50 minute bus ride from the airport had nice views of the mountainous countryside.

It was a slow 30 minute + check -in for meager 15 guests arriving. I had sent an e-mail requesting 5 choices of room numbers but was not able to get any of them upon check in. This was a disappointment. Even though it was very low season and the hotel was maybe at 25 % capacity, tops. They do not provide you with a map of the resort when you check in. Nor do they provide any information about all the facilities / restaurants or the hours of operation. Why ?? A simple info sheet upon check in would be very helpful.
All the front of the house staff were very friendly and they all had very good English speaking skills. As a matter of fact from my experience here, this Hotel's staff everywhere spoke very good English. I was impressed and complimented so many of the staff members throughout the resort during the week.

I received a top floor room in block # 26. The rooms are basic but modern ( 4 years new, vs. the original side being 18 years old ) and everything was in working order which was a very nice change. But be prepared for long walks to the main lobby bar , reception ( for questions or $ exchange ), sundry store, a la carte restaurant reservations, entertainment theatre, or the beach, towel exchange area from your room in any of the blocks 26, 27 and especially blocks 36, 37, 46, 47 & 48.

Overall the food here was pretty good. I received 4 a la carte reservations + 1 lobster night at the Spanish restaurant. Note: the 2 VIP indoor A/C restaurants, Gourmet / French or the Spanish are only available for Plus side guests and were only open 1 night a week ! The Italian & the Cuban are outdoor restaurants, so be prepared to be bitten by mosquitoes and no see ums. I ate in the buffet on 2 evenings which is indoors and slightly A/C. I was a bit disappointed in the lack of many fresh vegetables in ALL the restaurants and snack bars like lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, peas etc., as they are either not available or are canned. However I was blown away by the quality of the beef on my 2nd nights dinner at the Italian. The prosciutto, minestrone soup, pasta with cheese dish and the main beef entre were great. But the 2 pieces of beef I received was the BEST beef I have ever had in Cuba! Bravo ! To top it off, the very next night at the Gourmet ( the 1 and only time it was open in the whole week ) I had the beef Tournedos with 2 sauces ( Vermesa & pepper ) and it was superior than the night before ! What were the chances of that ever happening ? This was melt in your mouth fillet mignon beef. It was absolutely fantastic! Kudos ! The Cuban a la carte was fine with very tasty roast pork. The one fixed menu lobster night at the Spanish restaurant was just alright as the lobster was too overdone for my liking. The buffet was not overwhelming by any means but there always seemed to be something decent to eat in the meat, fish or pasta sections. Friday is Cuban day so be sure to get to the buffet early for that succulent roast pork before it all disappears.

The selection of spirits in all the regular bars was very poor. Even the VIP bar that is supposed to have "International Brands " was very limited. No Kahlua, Tia Maria, Cointreau, Baileys, Grand Marnier etc. Canadians make up 40% of their business but there was no CC, VO or Crown to be seen all week. If you like rum, they did had some of the top brands.

Unfortunately it was overcast with heavy clouds for 5 out of the 7 days, with a couple of heavy downpours. Therefore I did not spend very much time at the beach or the pool, and that was a downer. But make sure you do bring your beach shoes, as there is a lot of that hard and sharp coral / limestone outcroppings everywhere along the beach and in the water. The VIP pool was very nice and relaxing with very few people around it because of the low occupancy.

Just another couple of positive observations. You do not have to show your passport at the $ exchange at the front desk, that's the first time for me ever in Cuba. I never felt pressured or got a dirty look from ANY staff looking for or expecting a tip anywhere in the resort for any service!! I was very impressed with the staff's attitudes towards this and I think they should be praised for this proper behavior from management. I tipped for a lot things all week for the good service I received from those hard working deserving folks and felt good doing so.

Last but not least, be prepared to be bitten left, right and centre by mosquitoes and those nasty No See Ums ( known as sand fleas / flies, biting midges ) everywhere and not just in the evening or early morning. Be warned that this is a serious problem in all of Playa Pesquero. I react bad to the No See Um bites and have to use After Bite, drop Benadryl and then use Hydrocortisone 1 % cream on them. I almost bathed in Muskol 30% deet pump spray, wore long pants, socks, closed shoes, a hat and then sprayed myself with my Muskol aerosol can all over me every night before going out at 6:00 pm. I still got chomped every night ! On my last day, I went to the beach for 2 hours and went just past the nautical building. I was lying on a lounger on the beach in the hot sun and I got 5 more Holguin No See Um souvenirs bites to take home with me. In broad daylight at 2:00 pm in the afternoon in the middle of an open area ! In total for the week I have 25 + quarter size welts that drove me nuts and still have them all slowly healing even today, 12 days after my first bites.

Overall I enjoyed the quality and service of this resort aside from the few drawbacks mentioned above. However I don't think I will be in any hurry to go back because of the biting insect problem.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank cubabuff1
ManagementBlauCV, Public Relations Manager at Blau Costa Verde Plus Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear cubabuff1

We really appreciate your comments on our services. We are really sorry for the inconveniences with the insects but this is typical of tropical countries. We value your observations and praise.
We would really like to invite you to come back soon and change your mind.
Best regards
Elio Rodriguez
Public Relations Trainee

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We arrived at this resort on October 30, 2017 as scheduled. Our room was ready when we arrived however the state of the room was sub par. There was paint or some stain on the bed coverings and splatters on the wall that looked like they could be grease as well as hair on the floor. We requested a room change at the front desk who steered us toward pubic relations. Gabriela did her best to accommodate us and we were in a new room within a very short period of time. The room was not much of an improvement (although cleaner) and there was virtually no water pressure in the bathroom sink faucet. We never used the shower so I cannot comment on this. We ventured out to explore the resort a little and have some lunch. We ate at the Italian lunch pizza place (sorry I don't know the name of it) where I had a calzone and some pasta bolognese on the side. My husband had a pizza and the same pasta on the side. The food was adequate. From there we stopped at the bar next to the pool. I will say that the resort was very empty of guests. There were so few people around, it was the first time I have ever seen this. At the bar, I tried to order a mojito, but they were not serving mojitos as there was no mint available! Weird for Cuba. We sat down with our drinks, and across from us was a loud group with a woman sitting under a no smoking sign and blatantly smoking a cigarette and tossing her ashes on the floor. I wanted to give her that benefit of the doubt that she was unaware of the sign above her and I brought her an ashtray and pointed to the sign. She was well aware of the sign and had no qualms about defying it. She was extremely rude to me and patronizing. I have no issue with her at all, after all it is not her fault that the resort does not enforce their rules. We left the bar and walked over to the pool bar on the Plus side, where I was informed that they do in fact have mint there, and I was finally able to enjoy a mojito. My husband needed to use the facilities and so walked over to the public bathroom next to the pool bar. There were two urinals in there that were both out of order. Three of the toilet stalls had no toilet paper and the fourth had one roll that was sitting in the bottom of the toilet bowl along with the toilet roll holder. This is not the hotel's fault, but what does this tell you about the quality of the guests? That night was a Mexican themed night and we partook of the fajitas that were offered. I had the chicken and my husband had the pork. They were both good and I would like to also say that there was avocado at the buffet which is a first for me in Cuba after many trips to Cuba. We spent the one night and had a discussion with our Air Canada representative, Camilo, who was extremely understanding. During our conversation, I suddenly had a gastro attack and excused myself to run off to the main lobby bathroom. I barely made it, and again there was no toilet paper and I was forced to walk with my pants down to the next stall, where again there was no paper, and finally I found relief in the third stall. Camilo went off to see how he would be able to transfer us to another hotel as per our request. He returned with offers from the Blau including another updated room and massages and other undisclosed extras to try to keep us at their resort. We refused. I would like to mention that the grounds were littered with fluorescent light tubes thrown under that bridge and drink cans left wherever they had been thrown. I mentioned the light tubes to Gabriela and we noticed when we were leaving that they had been taken away. Is it really necessary for the guests to point out what the staff should already be looking after?
Camilo did a wonderful job in looking after us and after paying an additionaly 166$CDN, we transferred to Playa Pesquéro and jumped in a cab.
You can read the rest of my review of our 6 days on the Playa Pesquéro TripAdvisor page. Thanks for reading. I would not recommend this hotel to ANYone. Sometimes a good deal is really too good to be true.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank R G

Dear R G,
Thank you for your short visit to our resort and posting your experience. We appreciate that your stey was unpleasant mostly due to the clientele at the Resort, we regret that incident and also the fact you did not mention to our staff immediately to be rectify.
Our bathrooms are in a renovating program and we will repair the 100% of our public toilets.
There are service differences between a 4 star and 5 star Resort. (Blau and Playa Pesquero)
Well, if you decide to give us a second chance, we will do our best to offer a superior holidays.
Kindest regards,
Bárbara E. Lobet
Public Relations Manager

Reviewed 3 November 2017

This was our first time to Cuba. Got a great last minute deal that I couldn't pass up. Got great info from escort on bus ride about airport. Check-in was slow but not bad. Got to room to find water coming out of ceiling light fixture in the bathroom over the sink. Quickly got moved to another room(they actually gave that room to someone else, not safe). Since food likes and dislikes are subjective, I will only say I didn't starve. You can get something that will fill you up. We stayed in Plus side, best decision to spend the extra money. A/C Plus lounge was great with Quality Cuban Rum. Was always able to find a good spot on the beach with palapa. There's a clear path that you can see leading into the ocean. Lot's of fish to see even if you don't have snorkel mask. Water was warm.
Plus pool was nice and quiet, plenty of loungers available. Swim-up bar never boisterous.
The staff try really hard, and are very pleasant to talk to.
Once thing very noticeable was the level of security at this place. There was someone by the fence behind our building from 9 or so, til 6 or 7 keeping an eye for who knows what. Even if they weren't there, we never once felt unsafe. Never really saw much of the evening entertainment as we mostly stayed in the Plus lounge and met some great people from the UK and our fellow Canadians.
As with any holiday, it is what you make of it. If you go with an open mind and just enjoy what's available, great time will be had. If you think everything should be like home you'll be somewhat disappointed. Travel is an adventure, so be adventurous

Room Tip: Plus side definitely. Way better option for better quality of alcohol in Plus lounge
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank RLY59
ManagementBlauCV, Public Relations Manager at Blau Costa Verde Plus Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2017

Dear RLY59,
Thank you for visiting our Resort and for posting your holiday experience with us.
We love reading your review and the way you appreciate our services and our good values. Our sincere efforts are devoted to create nice memories to our guests and we are glad you had a wonderful time in Cuba.
We invite to return any time for another superior holiday.
Kind regards,
Bárbara E. Lobet
Public Relations Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
10 km away
Hotel Club Amigo Atlantico Guardalavaca
126.5 km away
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran Club)
Hotel Roc Santa Lucia (Ex Gran C...
#1 of 4 in Playa Santa Lucia
40.5 km away
Villa La Roca
Villa La Roca
#2 of 41 in Holguin

Been to Blau Costa Verde Plus Beach Resort? Share your experiences!