See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 August 2017 via mobile

We had two nights in holguin, in between touring around staying in casas and the beach at guardalavaca. Unfortunately our two nights coincided with carnival time in the town, most of which was happening just down the road- a lot of noise, alcohol and using the streets as toilets didn't help our stay!
Anyway- back to the Pernik. We had a twin room on the third floor. It was basic and dirty- our suitcases on the floor were really dusty when we left. The air conditioning was so loud you couldn't hold a conversation, let alone use it at night time. We had one poor quality pillow and there were no toiletries at all. The safe didn't work so we went to ask for a key- we were told they used to work with a battery but that had died so... all accompanied by a shrug of the shoulders. The man in the desk told us not to worry as the hotel was safe!!

The breakfast room was not good at all. I watched a waiter knock a knife onto the floor from a table than just pick it up and put it back on the table ready for the next guest. The juice dispensers were filthy, with black mould around the nozzles. The best part about the pernik was leaving!

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Janet M
Reviewed 15 April 2017

In total, I spent two nights at this hotel. The first night after I landed in Holguin and the second night prior to my departure.

At first glance, this hotel is pretty striking for the uninitiated as I was. It wasn't the drive up, but the view into the spacious lobby as you got through the front doors. The hotel is three stories, Soviet built, Bauhaus styled and there's a ton of concrete. It's definitely from an era.

Inside the main lobby area, the seating was spread out and seemed nice enough. The outdoor bar and pool area took up a lot of real estate and was very popular for most of the day. The pool was big. Very full of people. Loud people. It was a gorgeous day so I didn't let it bother me. People should have fun.

There was WiFi in the lobby. You can buy cards from a desk there. However I was told for better connection, get closer to the bar/snack area near the pool.
There are also computers you can use for a fee.

Once upstairs, I noticed that the foyers contained mostly furniture that was pretty run down. Again, this place is from another time.
The rooms were similar.
The towel (you get one) is thin. No soaps or other amenities. The shower head worked but the wall attachment was broken off. The bathroom is near the front door and the permanent opening allows all the smells and sounds to go out as well as in. I could hear guests a couple doors down. I could also smell cigarette smoke from those in the hallway as it came through.
The pillow on the bed is more like half of a t-shirt, halfway stuffed with flattened bits of cotton. That said, if you want a big fluffy pillow or something with definite firmness, then pack a pillow. I can sleep with pretty much anything.

Also, bring ear plugs. The place is an echo chamber. If it's not coming from revelers at the pool, it'll be other guests you hear from down the hall. If it's a weekend, then you might even hear the nightclub that's really, really popular! Luckily I had earplugs so I was able to have my siesta upon arrival! However if my room was closer to the disco, then I'd be crying into my tiny t-shirt pillow!

It's a very spartan place. It's functional. It's not luxurious in any way but it's fine. I wouldn't want to stay here for a long time though. On one stay, the TV worked. During the other, it didn't.

Breakfast in the restaurant was a buffet. A variety of fruits and pastries and breads. Some meats as well. There are eggs on the buffet too but I recommend getting a freshly made omelette that will be hot when you get it.
Coffee, tea (pre-made), juices (machine dispensed), and water are available - serve yourself.

At night I was able to try out the dinner buffet. I don't recall much of anything that stood out. I ended up eating a lot of the red not-very-meaty sauce and spaghetti.

That's about it regarding my stay. It's a simple, low-rise hotel that serves a purpose and just that. It offers a few things which are welcome (WiFi, resto, tour info, money exchange, ginormous pool) and if you're not too needy, then this place should do the trick for a night or two.

Room Tip: if you want to sleep on the weekend, get a room AWAY from the disco! Get a room AWAY from the pool if you want afternoon naps!
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 April 2017

I suspect that most of the other reviewers haven't travelled in Latin America much, or they've stayed in very pricy hotels. The Pernik is not bad at all. The rooms range from pretty good to acceptable (although the air-con is fairly loud: cool your room before going to bed and then turn it off.) The staff are accomodating although not effusive, lunch and breakfast offer lots of choices and reasonable quality. Not much variety one day to another: I suspect that after four or five days I'd be looking for something else to eat, but on the other hand, the whole of Eastern Cuba lives on roast chicken and scrambled eggs, or so it seems. Vegetables are particularly lacking: cucumber and tomato predominate. The pool was closed when we were there, which might be a good thing, as it's open to the public, and Cubans at play tend to be LOUD. The disco sure was. Make sure you get a room facing away from the disco, unless you want to attend yourself, in which case it doesn't matter. Prices are reasonable, except for wine, which is a rip-off everywhere in Cuba. Stick to beer and rum drinks.

Room Tip: If you buy a wi fi card and don't use the whole time, make sure that you log off the wifi site, not just turning your browser off.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank ianjc
Reviewed 6 March 2017

State run hotel on the outskirts of Holguin. Room was alright, so were the staff though the food left a lot to be desired.

Decent pool, internet available and generally relaxed.

Taxis outside will take you into the town for about 3 Euros.

Nothing of interest near the hotel though.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank BorisDRaghunter
Reviewed 26 January 2017

We spent one day here as our flight was cancelled so we did not have a reservation. The charge was CUC52 (equivalent to USD52) for use of the room for 5-6 hours. The room we were given was in the wing which was being renovated and so it was extremely noisy. Hence, we spent most of the day by the pool even though it was raining. The pool area is very nice and the pool is large so if you have young children this would be a great hotel. The wifi was not working and nor were the computers in the lobby. There was no toilet paper in the pool and lobby toilets, our room was very smelly and the bed linen was soiled, and only 1 light in the room worked which made it very difficult to read. I would not recommend staying here unless you really have to.

Room Tip: away from the renovations
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family