“A bed with a pillow...and a good one”
Review of Norfolk Hotel

Norfolk Hotel
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Fremantle
Reviewed 27 April 2012

My experience here was an emergency. I needed a place to stay, even though I actually lived in Perth.

For those that don't remember the big hail storm on 22 March 2010, let me précis this moment. My house and car were devastated by a massive, freak hail storm. In fact, my house was condemned by the storm. Fortunately for me, the Norfolk Hotel was open and accommodating.

I would have been glad for a bed anywhere, but the Norfolk Hotel had two rooms left and I have to say I was really, really surprised. Sure, it isn't a normal hotel. It is where backpackers and budget travellers would gravitate towards. The rooms were huge and clean, but nothing special, but I really enjoyed being there.

As with many "Hotels" in Western Australia, most know this place as a vibrant and fun place to go for a drink, not to stay. In a British tradition, this would be an "Inn" with a nice bar below.

I would definitely stay here if I had to. Notice the words, "had to". For location and vibe and budget, and for the young at heart and expedition minded, go for it. A good, comfortable stay and, yes, I would stay there again....if I had to.

Room Tip: More back packer than hotel, but with a dash of class.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Kevin B

Reviewed 26 March 2012

I stayed at the Norfolk Hotel last week as I was haveing drinks with friends and didn't want to drive!
I was a little apprehensive when I booked a room with no facilities.
However the room, whilst small, had everything you could require for a short stay. TV, Tea/coffee, plenty of hanging space in the wardrobe and a comfy, clean bed. The shower & toilet were spotless and a couple of metres across the hall.
You leave a $20 deposit for the key which is refunded when you leave.

The location of the hotel couldn't be better. You're right in the heart of things.
This proved a small problem as Friday night became Saturday mornning as the cab rank is close by and it was noisy at times. However if you went during the week this wouldn't be such a problem.
As far as safety for a single woman I don't see that a problem either as there are plenty of security camera's around and getting into the accommodation without a key would be difficult at night.
The room I had only had a ceiling fan.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road on weekends..
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Stayed early November 2011 between landing in Perth from Broome and leap-frogging over to Rottnest Island. Checked in late afternoon, Queen ensuite room clean, well appointed and inviting. Heater worked, cold day in Perth shocked me from shorts / shirt / thongs from Broome climes, soon back to normal.
Check in staff friendly, bar staff efficient and professional with drinks and dinner, food was high quality and came out FAST...less than 10 minutes for a 4 pax table in a busy pub.
Liked the out of hours access staircase after a night out with friends.
Only difference I could see would relate to noise on weekends, but keeping in mind this is a secondary business above a thriving venue..would be perfect if attending a function / party downstairs and needed a safe, secure and accessible place to stay across the road from the Freo markets...will recommend and return.

Room Tip: Things to note: there are stairs, it is above a pub which serves meals and can be open late at night...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Hi we ate lunch at this place and never again and we are locals! The wine was off and gave me a headache, we got scallops four of them $20 and the prawns had the heads there and only two tails,nothing else when i told the waiter he took the plates away and then came back and said 'i found some more tails' I did not swear at him but wanted to, the total cost $80 RIP off!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christina B
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Room was lovely and clean very modern look but this hotel is not designed for families with only one double bed cots are an additional $30 per person. The room was big enough to take two double bed. Over priced for what it was particularly with the room being over the front bar (was warned to be fair). Couldn't find staff when you needed them and the stairs are a nightmare. There is no particular parking area for guests staying at the hotel I had to park my car and move it several times before getting a parking spot after 10pm when the bar shut. No breakfast included in the price

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family