“Big Changes in this tour”
Review of Fremantle Prison

and up
Fremantle Self-Guided Audio Tour
Ranked #2 of 107 things to do in Fremantle
More attraction details
Owner description: Fremantle Prison is one of Western Australia’s premier tourist attractions and the only World Heritage listed building in the State.The Prison was built by convicts in the 1850s and was used as a place of incarceration for almost 140 years. With solitary cells and gallows Fremantle Prison is a monument to a system of punishment that is uncomfortably recent. Fremantle Prison now holds the key to history, mystery and fun. Step inside and do time with experienced guides on a fascinating Prison Day Tour. Explore the labyrinth of tunnels 20m beneath the Prison by foot and by boat on a Tunnels Tour adventure. Feeling brave? Delve into the darker side of the Prison’s history on an eerie Torchlight Tour.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I have visited this attraction 5 times since 1992. For me it has always been Fremantle's number one tourist attraction. When family or friends came to Australia I either took them, or raved about it as a must see.
Well I went there on Tuesday 3 April 2018, with friends who are over from Scotland, building up their anticipation on the way there.
The tour I always took has changed dramatically since my last visit, it appears to have been split into three separate tours, (Convict, behind bar and true crime) I decided to take the convict prison tour which commenced at 3pm.

Our tour guild was an ex prison officer or we assumed that, given he had a strong dislike for one of the ex superintendents, which we found out at the end. He displayed a complete lack of interest and showed nothing but apathy towards the paying customers.
We could hardly hear a word he said, he would start a story but seemed to finish it was something that was totally unrelated.

The tour itself was as I expected a shorten version of the original tour, I can only assume it is so tourists can be charged extra to do the others parts rather than the original tour taking too long.

I was left feeling very disappointed, my friends thought the same both being very critical of the guild.

This was my sixth visit, there will not be a seventh and I will no longer recommend it.

1  Thank Gerry M
FremantlePrison, Public Relations Manager at Fremantle Prison, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Hi Gerry M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. Our team pride themselves on providing quality experiences for our visitors so it is very disappointing to hear you did not enjoy your latest visit. Our Visitor Services Manager would be very interested to discuss this with you directly, therefore if you can please contact us via email on info@fremantleprison.com.au and provide your best contact details that would be great.

For the benefit of others we thought it best to clarify a few points in your review:
1. Due to visitor requests for more detailed information about certain periods of the Prison’s history, and to better communicate the universal values of being a World Heritage listed site (as part of the Australian Convict Sites), our former two day tours, Doing Time and Great Escapes, were discontinued and replaced with three new tours – Convict Prison, Behind Bars and True Crime. The Convict Prison Tour focuses on the convict-era history of the Prison, the Behind Bars Tour focuses on operations during the time as a maximum security prison, and the True Crime Tour focuses on some of the more notable and infamous convicts and prisoners who were incarcerated here.
2. No information has been cut from the previous tours, it has actually been expanded from the previous offerings. As you can appreciate 136 years of information is a lot to fit into 1.25 hours. As mentioned above each tour has a different theme, therefore if visitors are interested in the full Fremantle Prison story they can elect to do multiple day tours for a reduced package price – or pick their point of interest and complete their tour of their choice.
3. These tours have not changed in length and have an advertised duration of one hour and 15 minutes. If the tour ran for less time than this it is definitely something we will address with your guide.
4. None of our current employees were former prison officers, so we feel there may have been a misunderstanding on this point. Any dislike shown for any of the ex-superintendents would have been the tour guide’s commentary on the historical legacy of the person they were discussing (for instance George Hampton was universally disliked because of his harsh practices during the convict-era).

Once again we are very sorry to hear about your experience and would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you directly.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,458)
All reviews
in 53 reviews
"gallows"
in 159 reviews

Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We used a day in freo to explore the prison, and ended up doing the joint tours....the great escape and doing time!

Our tour guide was called Steve who was an ex-guard of when the prison was in operation and was full of info and dry humour!

Not sure if some of the Americans on the tour got his humour or hanging.....but anyway....

I would recommend this as a must do if visiting freo

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Good to visit the heritage place such as Fremantle Prison. Enjoying the tour while the tour guide explored and explained the history. I remember my dad as he’s worked at the prison in my country. They offer the night tour as well. Maybe will try someday. You can reach Fremantle by flight to Perth. As for the budget traveler take Airasia is the right decision. You will earn the point when you fly with them. Collect the point then you may enjoy free flight either by redeem the point or no. It depends on the promotion.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Our driver/courier gave us a very informative and fascinating account of prison life and how it was ran in former times and provided us with a background history including the penal colony period.
The visit also inside gave an excellent insight into the tough life the inmates endured.
Well worth a visit.