“Great Location, Excellent food”

Restaurante Canto Azul
Ranked #90 of 302 Restaurants in Tavira
Cuisines: Portuguese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

We had friends from Africa over, so decided Canto Azul was the best place to take them.
Amazing view from the roof top. Superb service, lovely food - different from anywhere else, great value.
Highly recommend.

Reviewed 11 April 2017

This looked such a lovely restaurant, beautifully decorated with a wonderful roof terrace with a view of the Ria Formosa but unfortunately the food didn't live up to it's lovely setting. The Dutch owners were extremely welcoming and friendly and the service was good but the food must also be good and at best it was average.
We chose the mussels as an entree, these turned out to have been frozen and then cooked with a bit of red pepper and soy sauce which was very under par. Our main course was steak, which I must say was cooked perfectly but was accompanied by a strange selection of vegetables, salad ,chips and sauté potatoes. The choice of desserts was a real cop out and consisted solely of ice creams with different sauces and a pancake which the chef would prepare. We were told "the pastry didn't arrive today" so obviously anything else that is usually on offer is bought in. Overall we felt that the restaurant was making as little effort as possible and we wouldn't recommend it or bother going back.

Reviewed 23 February 2017

Small personal restaurant on the sea front of santa luiza. Only about 4 tables downstairs . Opens in the evenings from 18.00 ( closed on Thursdays ) .
Exc menu covering an array of fish and meats. We chose two meat dishes I had a steak with pineapple cooked in a red wine , my wife had a sirloin steak , both served with fries, veg, salad, sorte potatoes.
I can honestly say this was one of the tastiest ,best prepared meals I have had for years , home or abroad.
highly recommended.
Booked a table again before we head back home.

Reviewed 7 November 2016 via mobile

This chef really knows his steaks, perfectly trimmed and cooked. Quality. Juicy even though I like my steaks medium-well. Wine list looked well thought out with a good selection of Portuguese wines from different regions. The Syrah we had was fantastic and we felt the host knew the list which is quite rare. Sides were nicely seasoned and all we left was the peel of a slice of orange. Apple pie was home made and very good. Will be going back on our last day. Very tempted to have exactly the same choice of steak.

Reviewed 5 October 2016

It was over 8 years since I'd been here though my partner has eaten here every time she has been on holiday to Tavira. It's a taxi ride over to Santa Luzia which has a lovely promenade where we wandered over to look at the boats on the Rio Formosa. - The restaurant only opens in the evenings (not Thursday's) so we were able to see a fabulous sunset there before we headed into Canto Azul and up to the lovely roof terrace. Leonie does a fine job as front of house making everyone feel welcome even though it was a very busy evening when we were there. Bread, olives and the most wonderful curry mayonnaise dip which I've never had anywhere else, are provided to every table on arrival and were very welcome. The main courses (we both had a fish dish) were excellent and come with a great selection of chips, potato slices, salad and fresh vegetables as standard. I had tangerine sorbet, one of the specials of the day and it was soo tasty. We had visited Canto Azul on the final night of our holiday and it made a brilliant end to a lovely holiday.