“Not so good, not so cheap”

Cheap & Good Apartments
Ranked #101 of 150 Speciality Lodging in Riga
Reviewed 4 June 2016 via mobile

Only thing good in these apartments are the location, otherwise the whole place is just a hole in the wall. The very minute you step in this "hotel" you basically sense an evil presence, from the staircase to the actual apartment. Staircase is covered with mold and cobwebs, and there was rotting smell in the rooms. Some poor soul has propably ended his/her life in there. Needles to say, we didn't want to spend a night there, we had to book another apartment

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with friends
2  Thank Toni P

Reviewed 10 August 2015

For the price I paid (34Euros) for a single room with shared bathroom I expected much more. First I couldn't find the hostel. There's no sign whatsoever in the street or even on the front door. After 15 minutes of looking around I asked a photocopy shop (!) and as for magic the owner's phone number appeared. They told me I had to wait 5 minutes to pick me up. I suppose this may have to do with tax dodging but I don't know. I have no idea how I would have found it had I arrived when that shop is closed. Then we went up 3 floors with no lift. The bedroom was absolutely bare. Bed, a small table, a chair, and two hangers. Not even a rubbish bin was there. Curtains did not really protect from light. The bathroom was one floor upstairs and apparently quite a few people wanted to use it. I was lucky enough to arrive first in the morning for a quick shower. There were two bathrooms in my same floor but clearly those were allocated to people having private bathroom (though they had to get out of their room to use it). I was given 5 keys overall, 2 of which to find my way to the upper bathroom. Can you imagine the waste of time if you find the bathroom occupied and you have to go back and forth?
On the positive side, It is very close to the train station (literally across the road) and to the city centre as well. The owner was chatty and helpful in giving me directions. He also helped me with carrying suitcases.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 January 2015

This is more like a hostel room with a very basic shared kitchen/reception room and shared bathroom with non functioning shower. I booked this place with the expectation that standards would be in the lower segment, but still was a little disappointed with what we ended up with. I didn't mind the poor kitchen area, but if you plan on using the kitchen I would reconsider booking here as the so-called kitchen was more like a table with some forks and a cooking plate on it. Also I had booked the apartment hoping we could have a pre-party and don't have to take so much consideration to our noise level getting back from a night out. It turned out that this place was also used by children families which naturally affected the noise level we could allow ourselves for partying and also a lot of noise from the family in the early morning and lunch time. My advise: Pay the extra few $ for a real apartment if you're looking for a party place while in Riga.
On the positive side the location is absolutely perfect!

• Stayed: January 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Pros:
- communal kitchen
- friendly staff
- great location

Cons:
- we had no hot water and the staff tried to "fix" this by giving us a key to someone else's bathroom without even asking the other person, plus we had paid extra for a private bathroom which was then somewhat pointless
- a very old and ugly building which creaked and moved at night (I thought it would collapse at any moment)
- noisy guests on weekends and some shady characters staying there and hanging around the building
- the "secure" front door was usually open
- to contact "reception" we usually had to email them to find them (however they did respond quickly and came to us)
- I could only get wifi if I stood in our hallway

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Reception at 3 floor
very small area and owner has very small old table and no one there most of the time
These are not apartment as advertised
The owner rented few floors of an old building and create small rooms
Rooms are very small with old single bed and not clean
bed sheets about 10 years old. nothing on the floor
No wardrobe just few metal hooks on the wall and half size old towels
There is no TV no wash facilities and no air condition
There is common shower in Each floor
These rooms are worse that hostel rooms
You have to carry your suitcase about 80 stairs with no help from any one
Stairs are old and dirty and smelly
The building is center of city
On the third floor in the tiny redirection area there is a fridge and hot water for coffee and tea
and they are free but you have to go up and down and open few doors to reach this area
The rooms are very primitive
For 30 euro or more they are not value for money
Keep away from this place if you can

Room Tip: No good rooms in this hostel style building