“Basic but good”

Ranked #20 of 82 Hotels in Tallinn
Helsinki
“Basic but good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

I have stayed in this hotel few times. This is a really basic hotel, rooms are simple, swimming pool area is modest, but I still think it is a good combination: reasonable price, not far from harbor (if you come with boat from Finland), still in the borders of old time, you can get all spa treatments, everything is easily can be booked via internet. Good selection of services. Massage was just great!
But it is definitely not a romantic place to stay. Just if you want everything on good average level, than I definitely recommend. I have stayed there in group of young girls. I think it is also a good place for families with small children. But not a romantic place for a couple.

Room Tip: The closer to swimming pool the stronger is the smell of pool in corridor. I do not know if they use...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Oslo, Norway
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I don`t know where to start. But lets just start from the beginning.. When we arrived at the hotel, we faced a receptionist which wasnt any welcoming at all. The person behind the front desk didnt even try to smile and just told us "Card or cash?" after confirming our Romantic Day Spa Package. We were told to take the elevator to the 2nd floor, where someone would "lock up the door". We took the elevator upstairs, waitet around 5 minutes without anyone showing up. Took the elevator downstairs again, then explained to the receptionist that no one came. The receptionist then told us "take the VIP2 room", and we explained that we tryed to get into all 3 VIP Lounges without any luck. Then the receptionist just "OK." , then called someone. Without any sorry or anything. The VIP lounge was pretty great tho, we had our own jacuzzi, sauna and a little lobby. However the showers wasnt working properly, ice cold water.. There were however nothing added to the lounge, simple stuff like flowers or just some candles could have done this a little more romantic. When we were finished with our private sauna, we had booked massage for both of us. When we walked down to the reception again to ask for direction, there wasnt anyone there. After a little while came a old man working there, which couldnt speak english. But showed us direction to the stairs and said "Massage, stairs up". Had to walk in long corridors and this was a labrynth to find this massage place!.. So this took us a little while, we didnt know where to change for the massage. Finally after 10 min of walking around, we came to the front desk. Didnt say hello to us and just asked "ur name?", we replied. And got "ur late..". The massage was OK, but nothing romantic preparations done here either. Also had a 3 course menu after the massage threatment. Wasnt any special, booring food. Can eat better at the Mc Donalds.

Never coming back to this place! visited this place 03.04.12

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Thomasko
Turku, Finland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

I visited Kalev Spa Hotel&Waterpark few days ago to enjoy Relaxing Day-spa package which I had booked based on hotel's website. The package included access to spa, aromatheraphy massage and lunch at hotel's restaurant. The price was very reasonable and it sounded like a nice way to relax after my first week at my new workplace. I booked my package quite late so I was extreamely happy of the sales person prompt answer and confirmation for my booking. Really efficient work I must say.

All in all my experience was quite mixed. First of all, if you are not going to accomodate at the hotel, I suggest you to arrive at the hotel well in advance because it's quite tricky to go around the hotel. This is mainly because if you book a spa package you can't change your clothes at the spa deparment but in this dedicated room which is located in the first floor. After changing your clothes you have to try to navigate to the second floor and to the spa department wearing only your bathrope. I felt this quite unpleasant. It also takes you a while to find the spa department in the second floor however that there are signs on the walls. After managing to get to the spa department everything went quite smoothly. I would however suggest that even guests that aren't actually staying at the hotel could change their clothes at the spa deparment. It would have really made me feel more comfortable and eased things up a little also. Spa facilities themselves were quite an average experience for me. In my opinion there weren't that many pools that I had imagined and the spa could also use a little fixing here and there. Renovating wouldn't be that bad idea either. On that particular day there were also quite many families at the spa so I passed my time mostly at sauna which was just pure awsomness for me as a Finn.

Then the massage. If you can call it a massage. I wasn't sure what kind of education the employee had got but the massage didn't really feel the same as I'm used to. When I go to have a massage I somehow assume that it would actually feel somewhere. Maybe that massage would have been fine if you just want to relax but for me the experience was quite uncomfortable. I guess my expectations were too high.

After the massage I was a bit upset. I also wondered how the lunch would be and my expectations weren't that high. But the lunch was quite the opposite! Not disappointing at all! The lunch was served at the hotel's ala carte restaurant and the atmosphere was amazing. Setting was elegant and the staff was extreamely customer service oriented. When I came in I had to say only one sentence and they knew immediately what I was doing there. It almost seemed like they were waiting for me and that they would have regognized me however that I had never been there. Waiters were positive and friendly and I felt welcomed from the first minute. I felt myself really comfortable and relaxed - exactly what I was after when booking this package. Service was smooth and they really looked after their guests. I even almost bought a glass of white wine at lunch time. The waitress really knew how to read guests. The food was also really tasty. I can defenitely recommend the salmon course. And the desert was sooo good. This lunch really saved my day!

All in all my day at Kalev Spa Hotel&Waterpark was relaxing just as I wished it to be, but the credit doesn't really belong to the spa nor the massage. Staff at the lunch were professionals and made my day. That's mainly why the service points are so high. If could give different points to the wellness department and other staff the points would seem totally different. I'm pretty sure that in future I'll have my massages somewhere else and even go to the spa to somewhere else but the ala carte restaurant itself is really worth of coming back.

Room Tip: The hotel's a la carte restaurant is defenitely worth trying!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Mari L
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Poor service and very unfriendly staff. More to say there was NO willingness to assist! I wanted to file a complaint to a representative but employee told me they don't have anyone in the building. I had to wait for over than 30minutes for a person to come who could assist me with my spa ticket which expired my a mistake fro
Their end and no appologiez were provided. Not even said that they were sorry for the inconvenience. Never coming again nor advising to a friend.

• Stayed March 2012
Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2012

20 of us went for a spa/fun-weekend in Tallinn and stayed at Kalev.

I didn't try out their spa or waterpark, but this is why I'm not staying here the next time I go to Tallinn;
- Unfriendly Staff
- Bad food, really bad food.
- When going back to my room for some qualitysleep the second night, I discovered that I did no longer have a blanket or anything even close. Spent a few hours sleeping while being wrapped up in my bathrobe.
- Got a cheap room with a bathtub and showerhead. When I was finished the whole bathroom was soaked as there were no "walls" or curtains to shield the room from the shower.

On the plus-side;