All reviews fish pond second building main street boutique hotel pros pension mattresses cons spa english city
Reviewed 29 September 2017

Not sure why they call it a “pension” as I think it is equivalent to a hotel. I stayed in the second building behind the main building, so you have to cross a small courtyard to enter, no problem in nice weather but maybe some will object in the winter. Room was spacious and recently renovated with modern furnishings, carpet, tile, and bathroom fixtures. Spa was closed for renovation which was disappointing. Cable TV in multiple languages, but surprisingly no English channels except a Chinese network called CGTN which gave news in English 24/7 from a Chinese perspective. So I would ask the management to add some English channels such as Euronews or BBC. Easy 5-minute walk to the Hlavna (main street and square), about 15 minutes’ walk to train station. I would definitely stay again.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 14 March 2017

It's a nice and cozy penzion, with a very nice staff, very good breakfast, a nice and clean Spa-area.
The room was big enough, very clean, large and confortable bed, very nice furniture.
Parking place in front of the building with surveilance cameras.

Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 30 December 2016 via mobile

Excellent value for the money spent. It's not fancy and doesn't offer a lot of accoutrements, but the reception is warm, the room was very comfortable and the hotel is well located a block from the town square.

Penzion Hradbova doesn't look like much from the street. In fact, when I first got there, I tried to drive around to the other side because I was sure I had arrived at the back door. The street is more like an alley than a street. That's good because it's easy to stop in front to unload luggage without disrupting traffic. There is street parking right in front of the hotel. They also have a gated lot just a few feet further away.

Once inside, you realize there are actually two buildings located around a very pleasant garden with a small pond.

The receptionist was super friendly and helpful.

The room was quite large. The bathroom was large enough. The hotel is very clean and the bed was comfortable. Since our room overlooked the garden, we could open our window and still enjoy super quiet.

Breakfast was good. There was enough selection to satisfy most anyone. Hot items could've been a little hotter but everything tasted good. The hotel has a small spa facility but we didn't even look at it so I cannot comment on it.

The location is great because everything downtown is within a 5-10 minute walk.

We really enjoyed staying here. It was almost like staying at someone's house. Much cozier than a standard hotel. I highly recommend it, especially if you like something on the quiet side.

Date of stay: December 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2016

One of the highlights of visiting the quaint city of Košice! The staff were extremely friendly and helpful with everything from serving breakfast, arranging taxi service, and printing tickets. They even prepared a takeaway breakfast and coffee at 4:30am when my mom and I checked out. Our room was very clean, quiet, and comfortable. Having a desk in the room was perfect for me because I could do some work while away on holiday. The Wellness Center is a huge plus - when you're inside you feel like you're at a luxury spa, not a penzion. There is a big hot tub, steam room, and Finnish sauna. The location is great near Košice's main street. If you arrive at night you may think the area around the hotel is sketchy because of graffiti on nearby buildings, but don't worry, everything will look much nicer in the morning. I highly recommend this place, as well as Košice, as a charming yet understated place to visit.

Room tip: Rooms in the second building, where the Wellness Center is located, provide easy access to the spa.
Date of stay: December 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 21 October 2016

We have just returned from a 3 night stay at the Penzion Hradbova and would highly recommend this guest house to anyone. Tucked away up a side street (very close to the main street) and very understated from the outside. Once inside the staff were very welcoming and helpful and fortunately spoke very good English - we had only a few words of Slovak! Our room and bathroom were both huge, modern, well fitted out and spotless. There was a kettle with tea and coffee and a fridge with a mini bar. The breakfast was great, eat as much as you want and also included a choice of cooked dishes. We also took advantage of the spa which was included in the accommodation cost, again this was modern and spotless - a great facility to have in such a small guest house but most appreciated after a day out sightseeing.

Kosice itself is a lovely city, fairly compact but plenty to do for a weekend. We found everyone friendly and helpful and everywhere was incredibly clean. Public transport was both very efficient and very cheap, 60c for a half hour bus ride to the airport. Lots of bars and restaurants and lots of beautiful historic buildings.

Room tip: Ask for a room in building 2 as this is where the spa is so you won't need to go outside to get to it.
Date of stay: October 2016