“Must-see, but not a pleasant experience”

House of Terror Museum
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 65.00*
and up
Communist History Walking Tour of Budapest
Ranked #94 of 535 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: A museum devoted to various historical terror regimes and practices.
Reviewed 27 May 2010

This is a must-see attraction to get a more complete picture of the horrors of Hungary's 20th Century history. This was a house on an upscale street in what was a residential area of Pest that used by the two evil monstrosities of the 20th Century. It was first used by the Arrow Cross, Hungary's indigenous National Socialist (Nazi) Party, then, for a much longer period of time, by the Communists. This time disparity is responsible for the relative amount of space devoted to these horrors. This is not a fun, pleasant experience, but it is definitely a very important memorial. The basement part of the tour is particularly chilling, starting with the elevator descent.

6  Thank retrofuturistic
Write a ReviewReviews (9,441)
All reviews
in 992 reviews
"hungarians"
in 397 reviews

Reviewed 12 May 2010

i was so disappointed in this museum. i had heard such great things & really wanted to get a lot out of it, especially given the weight & importance of the subject matter and what the building is a monument to...

i can only give a review from the perspective of an English speaker, but....for me, this was one of the least informative and least engaging museums i have ever been to. and it is an ADD person's nightmare. i can't imagine any young people or students getting anything from it, especially as it requires so much work.

it's a shame because like i said - it's such an important topic, and the presentation is really beautiful. but the ONLY way to get anything out of it is to pick up a single-spaced, double-sided photo copied handout in EVERY single room and read it. there are some phones throughout the museum that have audio but only in Hungarian. and most of the signs, descriptions, things on the wall are also just in Hungarian.

i saw some people with audio guides, but i was not offered or suggested one when purchasing a ticket. i don't know that i would have bought one, but...maybe then at least i would have some idea of what the museum was presenting without reading a text book in every room.

again, perhaps it's quite moving & informative for a Hungarian speaker or someone with a lot of time and a huge attention span, but....for me, it was a complete waste of time & money. take a photo of the outside of the building & continue walking toward Heroes Square

6  Thank turravel
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Don't let the name put you off it is not a wax works museum but a very well presented history of the tryanny suffered by the Hungarians in Budapest during the German and Russian invasion from 1940 to 1989. I callenge you not to be moved by this museum and come away from it with a feeling of admiration for the citizens of Budapest of how they have suffered and are now finally in control of their future. Parts of the exhibition can be depressing, trying to understand how inhuman man can be to fellow man but the final room, celebrating the last Russian returning is truly uplifting and you leave the place thanking God for beng free. A truly moving experience

2  Thank Tyke70
Reviewed 7 March 2010

I am surprised how some people could have given bad reviews for this museum. I admit it is quite bit challenging as it requires this very demanding ability called reading, but still for crying out loud. This is not a Disneyland.

Terror Háza – The House of Terror – is a place where you can spend hours and study the subject by reading all the handouts, listening to the audio clips and following the videos on the tv screens. But you will most definitely understand quite a lot by just watching and sensing the atmosphere. At least if you have some knowledge of European history. The music and sound effects are fantastic!

Being a Finn, this museum really gives me chills. Our country was so close to have the same fate as Hungary as our history has quite a lot similarities. I could be looking pictures of my own relatives on the walls of this dreadful place.

3  Thank Bast62
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 February 2010

Depressing, but fascinating too. I concur with the reviewer who said there should have been more story-telling. I was hoping we'd get that too, since it is a significant period of time for my family. It was my first visit to Budapest with my Dad and sister, and I was hoping we'd all go together, but my Dad dropped us off and stoically commented "Nah, I saw too many people go in there who never came back out. You two go ahead without me." So, we tailed two people whom we presumed to be a Nagypapa with his Grandson and took in his stories insteadt. It should be seen.

1  Thank J B