Palace of Arts (Muveszetek Palotaja)
Open today: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Book In Advance
In high demand - travellers recommend booking ahead!

Ways to Experience Palace of Arts (Muveszetek Palotaja)
from USD 37.10
from USD 11.80
from USD 203.70
More Info
All reviews concert hall great acoustics great sound external architecture tram line number tram lovely building orchestra foyers conductor danube interval audience operas stage performing bank
Reviewed 14 February 2017

The acoustics of the main hall is just fantastic. Every single tiny note of the massive organ could be felt just as it plays around you, should it be loud or quietly played. Absolutely recommended for organ enthusiasts!

Reviewed 30 January 2017

Fab concert hall and very convenient as you can drive down to a garage and no need to wait for trams in the freezing fog. It was -7.5 last nigth and we were pleased that we did not have to go out in it. From our under garage to another we made the journey easy.
If car is not available, take a taxi. You are worth it!!
All Beethoven last nigth. First, B C synphony, followed by 2nd piano concert in B played by Fisher Goode. It was so romantic and quiet I thougth it was not the B I know?
Followed by the 5, conducted by Ivan Fisher. I must say it was mesmorizing to see almost 100 muzisians palying in such harmony. Maestro conducting everything from memory!! Music perfect!
There are bits in this piece which are so quiet played by the violinists, you could hardly hear it. As I listed to it I really thougth that this can be easily converted to a ballet performance??
Of course, he decided to triumph at the end, my meaning, we 'human's will win against all odds. Well, it does not seem to be the case sometimes if we look at our history.
Anyway, when it was first heard, a fellow french composer said: "Must not write music like this." When another replied, '"Don't worry we will not hear music like this for a very long time. Or ever!
Well, we drove home by singing it as it is soooo uplifting! Go an see a concert there, they all good.

Reviewed 23 January 2017

I bought the ticket online. The category of the ticket was the only available. The price was second the most expensive i.e. second category of five price category. The first shock was narrowness of the seat. Unlike rest of the auditorium, seats in these three (second most expensive) rows were in the form of bench numerated for skinny or small people. Fortunately number next to mine was free. It was impossible for two people (a man and a woman or two men) sitting next to each other to be reclined at the same time. But it was not the biggest problem. The position of the seat was behind the stage i.e. all the time I was watching and listening to the back of the singer (Cecilia Bartoli). Besides the orchestra was behind the singer i.e. between me and Cecilia. The acoustics of the hall did not correct terrible experience. Most of the time it was impossible to hear the singer. The only advantage of my position was that I saw free seat in the first row of parterre. So after the pause I moved and enjoyed the second part of the concert. It seems that MUPA first sells this horrible ticket on-line with no other choice if the concert is attractive.

Reviewed 28 December 2016

I can't comment on the National Theatre building, I have never been in it. The National Concert Hall is one of my favourite venues in Bpest. Very good acoustics, smart and clean lines to the building, comfortable seats. I find its classical music programmes drab and unimaginative therefore disappointing, overall, but have had some wonderful experiences there nevertheless. I like the Ludwig Museum - spacious, well laid out and decent exhibitions - which has a very good cafe with friendly staff and good snack food such as salmon and rocket baguettes,

The large bookshop is well stocked with art books of all kinds and this is the chief reason for MUPA losing one of its stars - most books there are relatively expensive, as art books do tend to be, and they don't take cards! Only cash! this is ludicrous and I was very annoyed when I tried to buy some books as presents, as there is no cash machine nearby. WHY is this the case? when the modest Ludwig Museumt cafe cheerfully accepts cards.

Comments from reviewers indicating that the arts complex is "a long way from the centre" just make me, as a Budapest resident, irritated. It is not. For one thing it is on the Danube with great views of the river when you go out on to the terrace in the concert interval. Lovely sunsets. For another it is less than 10 mins on the No 2 tram from Fovam Ter, home of the famous market at the bottom of Vaci utca.You can't get lost because the No 2 tram route ends just before the concert hall. And if you want to walk - it is about a 25 min stroll from that market, straight along the Danube going east, you can't miss the big arts complex on your right just by the Vagohid. And there are buses as well. If you do take a taxi from the centre then it really is only a few minutes, but I always walk. You will pass the Unicum museum, if that interests you, and, also on the left of the road, an old mill that has been renovated and is now occupied by various commercial units - including an excellent, relaxing cafe.

1  Thank Csengery
Reviewed 9 December 2016

Nice walking and some great art in a beautiful palace and beautiful grounds. Plan to spend several hours and enjoy it all. For a break there is a cafe located on the grounds.