“Elegant, effortless and delicious”
Review of Kiraly Restaurant - CLOSED

Kiraly Restaurant
Price range: USD 0 - USD 42
Cuisines: European, Central European, Hungarian, Eastern European
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: District I / Buda
Budapest, Hungary
“Elegant, effortless and delicious”
Reviewed 22 December 2011

I spent a dinner there with my colleagues. The service and hospitality were flawless, food tasted delicious, all was on time. We especially liked the way the servers were friendly and calm.

Being a vegetarian, eating out at restaurants is always a challenge, leaving me disappointed with the food most of the time. I chose a pumpkin soup for app. and a ravioli for main dish. Pumpkin soup was not what I expected, tho this was the only option I has for appetizer so I kinda had to go with it when the server insisted that we all order soup...
The main dish was really good, just could have been a little more of it on the plate. Luckily I wasn`t too hungry, so it was just enough.
Desserts were nice, but did not try since almost all of them were a "mousse".
I really enjoyed the glass of dry Tokaj Furmint with my dinner.

I would definately go back an other time!

• Visited December 2011

• Greek first
Nassau, New Providence, The Bahamas
“Very pleasant”
Reviewed 25 November 2011

We decided to have an early dinner and around 4.30PM we came across Kiraly. The venue was superb. There was no one else there at that time and we enjoyed a glass of wine while waiting for the salad, goulash and duck. We topped it off with the Gundel pancakes and an expresso. Our waiter Andy then gave us a complimentary brandy to finish up. All this for 2 for under $100.00 with the tip.

• Visited November 2011
1 Thank Simon R
Las Vegas, Nevada
“best”
Reviewed 29 October 2011

During my professional career I traveled extensively on business trips to many major cities throughout the US and Europe. At this time I was visiting Budapest (Hungary), where it was my good fortune to be able to enjoy 5 star dining at the Kiraly Etterem (restaurant) . I can honestly say that the Kiraly Etterem Budapest compares favorably to the best and greatest restaurants in major cities like New York City, San Francisco, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, Boston, Vienna, Paris, Rome etc. My visit to Kiraly Etterem was my first visit, on the occasion my Dad's birthday celebration. Every bite of food was heaven. You simply can't go wrong here. Each dish is an experience. Service was outstanding. Though our server was very busy, it never showed. He was personable, informative, timely and charming. The entertainment is outstanding and the ambiance is awesome!
I just loved it. I start dreaming of the Kiraly Etterem and the music, I got back already to the US, it's time to plan a trip to go back to Budapest and the Kiraly Etterem. Thank You and congratulation for the owner and the talented group of musicians.
Steven Patho
Las Vegas
Nevada

Budapest, Hungary
“ONE OF MY FAVOURITE PLACES IN TOWN”
Reviewed 27 October 2011

I live in Budapest and I am Hungarian and I love our cuisine. I work in tourism so I am very critical with restaurants.
I have tried several times Király restaurant and suggested it to my friends and to some visitors. Everybody loved the evening out in the Castle district with excellent food and service.
I think one of the best Gulyas soups in town can be found here. I love their different stews and also they have a nice selection of wines, too. The waiters are very friendly and for me they represent the Hungarian hospitality for which us, Hungarians are famous for.
The atmosphere recallse the old restaurants of the times of the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy with gipsy music, nice porcellain, etc.
I know that most of the ingredients are coming from farms, so they dont use ugly industrial meat and vegetables.

What else you need?

Hinckley, England
“unpleasant evening”
Reviewed 22 October 2011

My wife and I ate here following a hotel concierge recommendation. The restaurant has a very nice, traditional ambience and we settled in expecting good food and music, for which we expected to pay a little more.

The first odd thing we noticed on the next table was the waiter's practice of opening the wine bottle, then the WAITER sniffing a sample in the glass, and then taking the sample away! This may be a Hungarian tradition, but it seemed very odd.

The food was average, but the waiter service was poor with a slightly surly attitude.

Half way through the meal we were serenaded by the violinist. We couldn't help but notice that he had a £20 dollar note tucked in behind the strings as he played. At the end he paused and bowed and waited (presumably for a 30 Euro note) but when no such note emerged he asked if we wanted to buy his CD. When we said "No" he raised his eyebrows and said "No?" as if he couldn't believe that anyone would not want to buy one.
When we paid the bill, our waiter asked if we wanted to pay cash or credit, and informed us that there would be a 10% discount for cash. We were puzzled by this as we believed the credit card fee to be only 2% to the bank. Nevertheless we obviously chose to pay by cash. When the invoice came the automatic service % added (common we found in Budapest) was 12% rather than the usual 10%.

We were owed 900 Forints in change (about 3 Euro), but the waiter brought back a 1000 Forint note saying he couldn't find the 900HUF in cash. This for a restaurant with about 30 customers in! The waiter was obviously hoping we would feel guilty about "owing" 100 HUF and just give him the 1000HUF note.

This constant push for money left us both with a nasty taste in our mouth - most unpleasant.