“Behold the world's oldest flute”

National Museum of Slovenia
Ranked #63 of 207 things to do in Ljubljana
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: National Museum of Slovenia is the oldest and the largest museum institutions in Slovenia. It was founded in 1821. The museum palace in the very centre of Ljubljana was built in 1888 and was the first building in Slovenia assigned exclusively to culture. The permanent archaeological exhibition reveals the unique past of Slovenia. Among other great exhibits you can see the earliest musical instrument in the world, the 60,000-year-old Neanderthal flute as well as the situla from Vace.
Reviewed 15 September 2017 via mobile

This museum boasts having the world's oldest Neanderthal flute that is 47,000 years old. Pretty amazing. It has many other ancient relics from B.C. It is a must if you are into anthropology and cultural history.

All reviews
in 14 reviews
"neanderthal"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 29 August 2017

I started my visit by seeing Archaeomusica. The collection is amazing, to say the least. I believe that this is one of the best projects done on music- ever. Every artifact is unique and the audio-guide helps you experience the culture of the times and the sound of the instrument. From neanderthal era to stone-age and Pompeii, the instruments showcase how music is an integral part of human psyche. The 60,000 year old flute is much publicized, but equally beautiful are the mammot bone instruments, the baby saddle with tooth bones, lyra, trumpets and cymbals. The highlight of the exhibition is that you can actually play some of the replicas of the instruments and experience them!!
The permanent exhibition is also worth seeing. The woolly mammoth and cave bear skeletons are well maintained. The geological finds, stones, the stuffed birds, are worth the visit.

Reviewed 13 August 2017 via mobile

Museum is of pre-history up to maybe the 10th century with a lapiadarium.
Good displays & info. Did enjoy the video on Roman sling slot making & trials.
However it's not really my thing, much prefer post 17th century and if I'd realised the content wouldn't have come (my fault).

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

As visiting museums is part of my job (as a museum auditor) I perhaps look at other things than normal visitors even when I'm on holiday as now. I first visited the permanent exhibition and it is 4 out of 5. I've read other stats saying it was too little on display. That surprises me as the collection is well displayed sometimes actually too much objects in the vitrines. Less is sometimes better for the story than 1000 of the same... It is well written with information/maps in both Slovenian and English, also films have English subtitles. Displays and rooms are light and clean. Routing / time line is easy to follow. The Roman Lapidarium is an excellent study collection. Only I can understand families complains as it is too little hands-on /interactive things for children. It is perhaps too focused on adults/students.
But if I gave the permanent display 4 I would give the temporary exhibition Archeomuzika 6!
What a joy to experience - with a childish smile beating the sounding rocks with antler clubs (yeah this is ROCK & roll) to hear different sounds ringing out and realise that music instruments all over Europe (and world) have much common. Chapeau to the makers of this traveling exhibition which is the result of the The European Music Archaeology Project. I truly think of coming back or revisit it at another venue. ARHEOMUZIKA- the sounds and music of ancient Europe is on display in Ljubljana until 24th of September 2017.

1  Thank Bonnie N
See more reviews
Reviewed 7 August 2017 via mobile

It was an excellent spent Saturday evening for us two young people. At evening there is only few people so you can be more relaxed and see things in peace and quiet. We had an excellent tour guide, student, named Blaž, who took his time to tell us even more that is written on posters.
We learned a lot about Slovenian history, but mostly we were impressed by kind people that work there (Blaž, Anteja...). Unfortunately the other museum of Nature was closed, so we will definetly return.