“Loved it” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 72 Warsaw B&B and Inns
Modesto, California
“Loved it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

If you want a sterile environment, don't want to talk to anyone, stay at the Marriot. But, if you want a really charming place, well located in the center of town, great beds, a fantastic breakfast with great conversation with our very helpful and genial host, this is the place. We have traveled Europe many times and this place ranks at the top. Certainly not the Marriot but if that is what you want, stay home. Kent and Truda from Modesto, CA

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kent f

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Monza
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2012

I am now in Warsaw for the third time, for my work. Last year I was advised to stay at the Smolna 14 B&B, and here I found a warm, welcoming hospitality. The food served for breakfast is top quality and healthy - difficult to match anywhere -, the staff very kind, and the atmosphere friendly. If you look for professional but cold ambiance I would NOT advise this place. Actually, I was offered to stay at the Marriott, but preferred to come back to this simple but authentic place. Moreover, Smolna 14 is one of the few buildings in Warsaw which survived the war, and the owner looks after its maintenence with real love.

Room Tip: I tried "King" and "Alexander", both nice, with plenty of space + kitchen. Never...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank HugoMonza
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

Having read Mr. Schmid's review makes me wonder whether we stayed at the same place as not one of the points he raises, matches my experience at the Boutique B&B.

I must first say that although this was my first time in Warsaw, I've travelled extensively through Poland before and I've been won over by the friendliness of its people , the beauty of its architectural sites and landscapes and its dramatic and turbulent history. Of course, it was not all rosy, but in average the positive experiences I've had in Poland more than outweight the negative and have kept me coming back for more.

I think it pays to have some kind of interest and a modicum of knowledge in the place you are visiting as it allows you to appreciate it so much more and establish a deeper connection with it and its people.

Firstly and as it has been indicated below, the location cannot be faulted, right between Rondo De Gaulle and buzzing Nowy Swiat and just a leisurely walk away to the beautiful Old City, and yet ulica Smolna is a quiet and quaint side street with a neighbourly feel. This is reinforced the minute you enter the beautifully restored building where the B&B is sited. Charming portraits of the building residents are displayed around the room where breakfast is served.

I stayed in the "Blue Room" which had a balcony that faced an inner yard and a bathroom with a walk-in shower. The furniture is a mixture of the new and practical (the comfy bed) with classic items one would expect to find in a turn of the century apartment such as the heavy looking wooden wardrobe which contains an iron and small sized ironing board (a very paractical item missing in many pricier stablishments).

The breakfast is served in the adjacent living room on a long table, it's an impressive spread that contains amongst other things, cakes, cereal several kinds of bread, cold meats, cheeses, free range eggs boiled to perfection (with the ever so slightly runny yolk, if you know what i mean), apple juice etc. An enchanting lady stands by the side of the table attending the guests' requests for coffee refills or any other item . As I was informed by the helpful girl at the office-reception, all of this produce is organically produced and sourced throughout the region, no expenses spared, no corners cut.

On the second day of my stay I got to meet my host, Jarek as he was a throwing a little celebration with a a group of guests and with a veggan feast on the same table were breakfast had been previously served. He spontaneouly welcomed me with a glass of wine and we got to talk.

He is an amazingly knowledgeable individual, with an embattled personal story that included a stint in prison during the communist regime for being a militant member of Solidarity who enlighted me on many issues concerning Poland's recent history, I also met other guests including Jarek's charming wife, Krystina who was leaving the next day for Chicago. A few hours went by most agreeably enlarging on topics that ranged from politics to history and arts.

The next day I was invited to a little musical soiree in an adjacent room with a piano. I soon realised that Boutique B&B apart from being the centre of the community around ulica Smolna also functions as a kind of cultural and artistic hub with special emphasis on music where kindred spirits meet regularly to play celebrate and discuss it, all of this, I must add, without being detrimental to the guests peace and quiet.

Warsaw merits by itself a visit; a city that like Berlin was reborn from its destruction at the end of WW II and more than 40 years of a totalitarian regime and is in process of becoming one of the cultural and artistic centres of Europe. Having stayed at the Boutique B&B not only enhanced greatly what already was an excellent experience but also afforded me a first hand glimpse of that spirit of renewal and creation. Travellers that prefer their acommodation of the robotic and impersonal kind should steer clear from the Boutique B&B, others able to appreciate the beauty that goes into the details are in for a treat.

And personally to paraphrase Mr. Schmid's genial quip, I'm not sure why Boutique B&B is number 2 ... It should be number one.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Miguel S
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

Stayed there around end March 2012. Loved the healthy & yummy breakfast & still missing it. Breakfast was interesting due to interaction with guests from totally different cultures. Thank you Jarek for your warm hospitality which distinguished your B&B from the rest. The staff were helpful and gave appropriate recommendations.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Cherryblossomlover
Varsavian, Owner at Chopin Boutique B&B, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comment and welcome again. We are working hard to attract special people. Quality Guests + our efforts = perfect B&B. This is our philosophy. And this year will be a lot to see and enjoy.
Best regards
Jarek
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012 via mobile

Would I recommend? No! There is no air conditioning. The only service was the comforter was refolded. The soaking wet towel was not replaced or removed. The shower curtain is not long enough to prevent water from leaving the shower. The dirty cups and glasses were made to look like they had been cleaned because there was a bit of water in the bottoms however the tea stains and fragments of the juice were still there. So what about the sheets? Were they changed between customers? The host is nice but not attentive. Very long breakfast table. He sits in the middle and talks to guests but does not make sure they have food. A young man came in and sat at the end of the table. I noticed he was only eating bread and butter because it was within his reach so I started getting other foods to put his way so he could eat. Before dinner we sought the advise of Paul for dinner recommendation . He suggested the restaurant downstairs. We said we would like something in the old square. He said "they are all good, just go to one". Therefore we felt we would just use TA recommendations. We are very sorry to have stayed here. We would not recommend it. The rest of Poland has been wonderful. Also we requested a quiet room, ours faces the main road with lots of noise so we cannot open our window. I would find some place else if I were to do it again.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank bartschmid
Varsavian, Owner at Chopin Boutique B&B, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our
b&b. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could
have been.
I would like to apologize on behalf of the b&b and its team for your stay.
Our standard procedure in this event would be to offer an upgraded
room to you on a courtyard side of the building. Unfortunately, all our rooms on the courtyard were taken.
You may also be interested to learn that our historic building is under refurbishment since the time b&b was established 9 years ago. It is demanding and in the same time beautiful building: first modernistic one in Warsaw completed in 1910. Two wars and communism didn’t help to keep it in perfect condition. I hope you liked your remodeled room as well as original high ceiling in the room. We definitely have to lobby on the behalf of our guests to install air conditioners in some of our rooms.
I would take pleasure in welcoming you back after our refurbishment is completed. Please feel free to contact myself directly if you are travelling
to Warsaw again so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay.
Once again please do accept my apologies and I do hope that
the remainder of your trip to Poland was most enjoyable.

Best regards