“Astonished for the price!!!”

The Secret Garden Hostel
Ranked #73 of 259 Hotels in Krakow
United Kingdom
“Astonished for the price!!!”
Reviewed 2 January 2012

I was absolutely shocked when I got to the hostel it was so clean and well decorated! It was like a dream. On the days I was hung over, I'd chill out in the room , connect to the WIFI and turn on the TV, to watch David Attenborough in Polski. I was so comfortable that the reception staff saw my in my PJ's a few times. Excellent!

Room Tip: I only stayed in one room, I didn't get a grand tour or anything...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amoo_Hawa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The Secret Garden has a main building, not in the main area of Kazimierz but about a ten-to-fifteen minute walk away. We stayed at their apartment, which is right on Szeroka behind the Ulica Krokodyli (Crocodile Street) bar, a cozy little place for a beer. The apartment is a 1-bedroom with a kitchen and living room, at around $60/night! Cheap! I wish we could have stayed there a week! It was clean, not fancy, but had everything one needs, and as it is tucked behind the main Szeroka square, it was quiet. We did walk to breakfast at the main hostel building one day, just to see what it was like (it was fine, nothing special). I wouldn't necessarily recommend it unless you wanted to walk that way anyway. The main hostel isn't in such a great location (a bit off the track, but everything in the old area of Krakow is close), but the price is right and the staff are friendly and very helpful.

Room Tip: go for the apartment on Szeroka!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank wawawayne
Leyland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2011

For my first visit to Krakow and looking for clean affordable bed I found this on TA it was extremely good value (2 nights 153pln incl. breakfast0 I found the hostel without any difficultly and used only public transport to get there. The locals directed me there in minutes.

The reception staff were all very welcoming and helpful and efficient, speaking good English. After check in I was given an upgrade "as the hostel was full with loud young French guests" I walked to the flat armed with their detailed marked map (8 min) and found the entrance without too much difficulty off the main Jewish Quarter Restaurant area.

The fully furnished, spotlessly clean, one bed flat had all the essential requirements. Comfortable double bedroom, sitting area with TV (Polish only?) bathroom and a kitchen diner with fridge freezer and cooking facilties. Eating out is so reasonable I didn't bother making any meals.
If I return to Krakow I will be staying at this establishment for sure. Excellent experience, well done all the staff for working so hard to make the place what it is, Brilliant. Thank you very much.

Room Tip: I am confident the main hostel rooms will be as clean and well presented as my upgrade. The manageme...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank Michael H
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 3 November 2011

This place was great. It seems to be a bit out of the way, a couple of tram stops south of downtown, but being 100 yards from tram stops and trusty bus 109 (I think - been a bit since I was there) makes it convenient. The neighborhood is quiet at night. Trusty bus 109 goes to the salt mine, one of the popular days trips and the train and bus station. The tram is usually quicker to the train station, but if the bus shows up first...

Hostel was clean and adequately furnished. It's not a hang out place, as most people staying there are out and about all day.

Staff was helpful and knowledgeable. I was always heading somewhere and they answered all my questions with apparent ease.

I'd definitely stay again and recommend it.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Scitzo
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We stayed in the apartment on Szerowka street, whilst our friends had a double room with bathroom in the hostel. We were all very satisfied. The apartment, whilst only with basic furnishings, had all the mod cons one could need and was in a beautiful location in the Jewish quarter (10 mins walk from the hostel). It was clean, sizeable, and secure. Our friends room in the hostel was clean, sunny, and comfortable. Both were excellent value for money. This is a hostel so do not expect luxury, but the price/ quality is fantastic. The staff were incredibly helpful, chasing up our airline for us when a bag did not arrive on the first night, and generally very willing to answer all questions with a smile. The breakfast was also good. We made use of the TV room as well. There is a reason for the excellent reviews. Glad we chose this place.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple