“Capuchin Monastery and Vault”

Capuchin Monastery and Vault
Book In Advance
More Info
USD 36.02*
and up
Brno With a Touch of History Segway Tour
Reviewed 20 August 2017

In the center of Brno there is very mysterious place. Capuchin Monastery and vault is small place where you can meditate and also you can see other life. Old vault with human skeletons of monks from Capuchin Monastery is interesting stay with only one knowledge – we are only dust and we turn into the dust again. Petra

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"eerie"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

I've visited with my wife and preteen who found it "boring". This was in contrast to our experience as we've enjoyed the visit an the exposition. It needs to be mentioned that there is no guided tour and therefore you'll need to commit to reading the guidebook in English.

Reviewed 6 July 2017

It is a crypt for Capuchin friars. It was founded in the 17th century. The bodies inside the crypt have been mummified. The outlook is quaint and mostly symmetrical. Once you step foot into the monastery, there is already an eerie feeling coming towards you. However, the whole place is really interesting and the atmosphere around you is very unique. All in all, you can see a lot of mummified bodies surrounding you and the feeling is indescribable.

1  Thank enochzenithimyuen
Reviewed 17 May 2017

A rather odd visit but very informative. I'm not sure how I felt about viewing so many mummified bodies as this is basically a crypt and their 'resting' place.
Everyone was very quiet and respectful but it did seem a bit voyeuristic.

1  Thank Sarah W
See more reviews
Reviewed 13 May 2017

I didn't know what title to give to this review. I felt a weird mix of feelings while walking around this crypt, because this is what it is. I was surrounded by mummified buddies in a sort of a creepy atmosphere, and I could almost feel the spirits around me in the cool place that practically led to the mummification of the buddies, at least this is what is written on the little info given when you enter. This visit made me understand even more how ephemeral we are, and how unimportant the material things are in this world of ours. However that material stuff helped me go to Brno, and discover such a spiritual place. I would say that it is quite unique that a collection of dead bodies in a very simple space can convey such an overwhelming feeling, at least to me.

2  Thank Varadinum