Mandarin Oriental, Prague
  • Restaurant
USD 361*
USD 351*
  • Breakfast included
Art Deco Hotel Imperial(Prague)
USD 191*
USD 159*
USD 146*
USD 186*
  • Breakfast included
Miss Sophie's Hotel(Prague)(Great Value!)
USD 133*
USD 130*
  • Bar/Lounge
USD 233*
USD 224*
1,527 results
All reviewsformer monasteryspices restaurantcharles bridgespa buildingfour seasonsmala stranaold townbeautiful propertyluxury hotelturn down servicedeluxe roomrestaurant staffacross the riverquiet locationlesser townfantastic stayfew minutes walk
Reviewed 5 January 2012

Wow, what a stunning place. My first visit to Prague, a few days before Christmas. We enjoyed a private function in the bar, with traditional Czech music and entertainment, and a delicious buffet style dinner. The hotel had also arranged private tours for us around Prague which were exceptional. My wife and I enjoyed an excellent couple’s therapy treatment – the therapists took a lot of time to discuss the treatments with us which was appreciated. I had not researched Prague at all, and really had no idea where the hotel was – but the location is excellent, very close to the historic centre (5 min walk). It is set in a very peaceful location, and overall the hotel seems very tranquil yet still has a buzz about it. The room was very good (and spacious), and we also took advantage of some very well prepared and well equipped business facilities (boardroom etc). I’m not really sure how to fault this place! I wish there had been a swimming pool, and a few more flakes of snow would have been great…! But that really is all I can think of!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
MO_Prague, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your appreciative comments, and for choosing our hotel for your stay in Prague during the magical advent period. I am delighted to hear we managed to meet and perhaps exceed your expectations, and will do our very best to arrange some snow for your next Christmastime visit.

I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of your company next time you visit Prague, a delightful city in any season.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 January 2012

Okay. The hotel is brilliant. Staff are great. Great location..... etc etc etc. That's the summary, but for those who want more detail here it is.

The hotel is a former monastery - something that they don't let you forget in the in room reading material. Actually, pretty interesting history of the building. It is on the south side of the river, about five minutes walk to the Charles Bridge which is the epicentre of the whole of the city. The room was great - everything you might expect in a room that was costing £600 per night. Yes folks, that is the cost of a modest size of room in this hotel. Was it worth it??? Frankly, not really if you need to know the truth. For £600 per night the very least I would expect is to log on to the internet wifi without being skinned for another £15 per day or so. In fact, I would expect to have a lot more in the way of freebies for that price. If i had room to take the bath robes and duvet home with me I would have. Yes, sure it was comfortable. Sure it was well kept. But hey, for that amount in hard earned cash, I would expect nothing less. In fact, for that cash I would have expected to take the duvets home and all the light bulbs as well.

We only ate breakfast in the hotel and it was, well, like breakfast frankly. Good range of food, fresh and beautifully presented. But what I would have expected for the price (did I mention the price before????)

One thing that I found really strange was that I could never get a hot cup of coffee in Prague. It must be a cultural thing... maybe they think that I was in danger of dribbling it all over my chin, or throwing it at someone and were trying to minimise the injury potential. I did not complain, in case they poured it over me to check the temperature. I am sure that if I wanted a hot coffee, they would have got me a hot coffee. Not a big deal but to be honest I couldn't really be bothered making a fuss.

So what is there to do in Prague??? This is chocolate box pretty. But you know how it is after you spend too long looking at a chocolate box. Kind of boring actually. (Oohhh, you philistine I hear those of a cultured disposition shouting). But doing two hours at the "castle" (it's not really a castle at all in the European sense, more a separate town clinging on to the hillside); a couple of trips across the Charles Bridge to take in the musicians - of which at least one group of blues singers was fantastic - a quick look at the old town and BANG. You've done Prague. Another try to wander round the same as the day before and it was pretty much the same as the first time we did it. I don't know if I realistically expected that the next day it would have changed overnight to something more interesting, but it hadn't.

If you stray from the chocolate box bit, you end up in an area that is about as pretty as a pizza box. Tacky, smelly, soggy and it repeats on you again and again. Wenceslas square!!! You heard all about it on the telly. It was the centre of the "velvet" revolution!!! Vaclav Havel stood on a balcony looking out, saying nothing. And you might think it is a place to visit. Well, it aint. It is a wide street with tacky shops on each side that has no atmosphere and indeed no sign saying what it is. Don't waste your time..... I wasted enough for all of us. In fact, when I remember old Vaclav looking out over the "square" I kind of think he was probably saying "listen you lot, this is a dump. Why don't we start this revolution in Vienna instead, at least for the photo shoot?"

I know this is a real downer on Prague, but it is just not doing it for me. It is soulless; and just not cutting the mustard. What is it good for??? If you want to buy endless amounts of tourist tack (and this must be the marionette capital of the world); or be hustled to see a concert (in the way that most other cities try to hustle you in to morally questionable pursuits); or to see the Charles Bridge from every conceivable angle (and it kind of looks the same no matter where you stand for the view of it) then this is worth the visit. But if you want to go, don't plan on spending more than two days and one night there. And for goodness sake, don't expect free wifi even if you are paying more than the cost of a small country's national debt per night.

Room Tip: A castle view room is nice.....
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank rstornoway
Reviewed 4 January 2012

I visited the Mandarin Oriental in July of 2011 for four days. It was the perfect hotel stay. The front desk staff and concierge were personable, caring and virtually psychic when it came to learning your name and hotel preferences. A simple question to a concierge regarding cigars resulted in a detailed map of cigar bars and stores in the city, offers to have a salesman brought to the hotel and follow-up offers for further assistance: None of this felt unnatural. The restaurant was excellent, the bar was a great place to kill time (make an appointment for the beer tasting) and the spa was amazing. The spacious modern rooms are impressive but lead to my only minor criticism; they are too modern and lack some of the charm of the restored monastery that makes up the hotel. Warning: if you visit this hotel, you might not want to leave the hotel to see the city.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your enthusiastic comments regarding your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Prague. As customer service is our top priority, I am delighted to hear we managed to please a sophisticated traveller like yourself.
Regarding your comment on our “modern“ rooms, I would like to say that while we try to keep the charm of the old Monastery throughout the building, it is true that the Garden and Terrace rooms do not have the benefit of original architectural details, antique floors or ceilings since they are located in a wing that was only completed in 2006. We do hope, however, that the lovely views of our garden these rooms offer - especially charming during the warmer months – make up for any lack of visible history. If you honour us with another visit, we will be sure to select a room that better meets your preferences.
Again, thank you very much for your detailed review, and I am looking forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Best wishes from Prague,

Werner Anzinger
General manager, Mandarin Oriental, Prague

Reviewed 3 January 2012

We had to plan our NYE very fast and our choice went for this Mandarin Oriental instead of Four Seasons, and now I think we made the wrong choice. The hotel is very well located, near to everything but there were some things I didn't really apreciate. First thing was that Wifi in the rooms is not free but should be extra paid and when we think about the price of the room in this hotel this is kind of a ridiculous thing. If you want to use your laptop or ipad you should go in the lobby-the thing is that there is not a really nice and big lobby-there is the reception and 2 chairs only near to the front door. There is also a lobby bar but you should have some consumation in order to stay there and use the free internet. Other disapointment was the SPA or to be precise the Lack of SPA. I read some comments that this SPA was selected SPA of the year, that it was quite something but the reality is different- they have gym,a nice one and steam bath there. On the ground floor there is something like SPA but it consist of 6 small rooms, with something like large bathroom (they pretend this is jacuzzi),and if you want to use it, of course it chould be paid. The massage they have are not bad, the staff is really nice and kind but definetelly there is nothing to do except massage or kind of a treatement-no pool,no jacuzzi,no steam bath (except where the gym is),no sauna etc.The breakfast in the morning was also a bit disapointing-of course staff is always nice and kind, but the choice is very limited(tipical 3 star for me).
So,after all I would say that this Mandarin wasn't really what I was expecting (and I know Mandarin in Singapour which is one of the best hotel).

Room Tip: The hotel is really big, so try to get a room in the main building in order not to walk and lose yourself very often.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Elena123_11
Reviewed 1 January 2012

My husband and I went to Prague for Easter and stayed here for 4 days. The Mandarin isn't cheap, but if you've seen the prices of this hotel chain around the world, you will recognize that this is a great deal! We splurged and got the hotel to pick us up from the airport, and heaven basically started there... We were picked up by a very nice Mercedes like town car and whisked away in a quiet cocoon of luxury (after having been packed into itty bitty eco seats with nearby screaming babies, this was especially nice.) Upon arrival we were greeted by name, offered an iced herbal tea (it was HOT that day!) and escorted to our room where we were checked in privately. The room itself was everything you'd expect it to be... very nicely appointed with big bath, french doors leading out onto a private courtyard with a a table for 2 right outside, ideal for coffee or breakfast first thing in the morning. The restaurant was lovely, although Prague has such great restaurants, I'd recommend eating out more often than not. Bar was great, with a nightly beer education hour where we sampled local beers. The location is perfect, about 5 minutes walk to the Charles Bridge, but located in a quiet peaceful corner which was greatly appreciated after dealing with the crowds of tourists all day. The spa is amazing and we left feeling like a relaxed puddle of goo. The icing on the cake, however, was the service. Always ready to help, greet you by name, and just generally nice people made this 5 star hotel feel almost like a little B&B where the owner is your host and it's okay if you want to put your feet on the coffee table. (you wouldn't, but it feels like you could!) The concierge sent us to a great restaurant when we got tired of our "foodie" tour which was exactly what we were looking for. Overall, just SO great!!

Room Tip: Not a bad room in the whole hotel!
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple