“Worthwhile visiting”
Review of Radium Palace

Radium Palace
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Jachymov
Reviewed 23 September 2016

I just spent three weeks at this hotel with my mother for medicinal reasons. I want to point out right off that this is the main purpose for this place. If you are looking to spent a 'family' vacation with kids, you'll be disappointed. I want to add, that we had the Superior Plus, which was a nice upgrade with excess to a small private restaurant.
I've read all the reviews before I arrived and some were very unkind and gave the place a bad look, which it really doesn't deserve. I'll address these as follows:
1. "Looks like a hospital". Yes, you might say that, when you walk on the floors, but you have to remember when this place was built, around the early 1900's. The place is spotless and in excellent condition with simple, but elegant rooms. And no, we never heard ANY noise from the hallway outside. There is noise on Saturday and Sunday night, when they have a band playing downstairs outside, when it's good weather, but otherwise peaceful. We slept with the windows open the entire time.
We had a spacious suite with a large bathroom. The only drawback of that bathroom was the fact, that all the rooms in that category had deep bathtubs, which are hard to get in and out of. So no showers!! That doesn't make sense, when you have people coming there for treatment for joints, etc.i complained about the very hard mattress and was given a pad underneath after the first night and extra feather pillows.
2. "The food was awful". NOT true. Granted, we were in the upgraded room and were able to order all carte, but there were plenty of selections off the buffets in the other restaurants besides the daily meals. The food in the 'Blue Restaurant' along with most of the wait staff was fantastic!! Besides a selection of 4 to 5 different dishes you could order steak, lamb chops, chicken, veal and assorted fish cooked anyway you liked it. I wish the food hadn't been as good, as it was hard not to eat well and plentiful. The waiters bent over backwards, especially Stanislav and Petra. My mouth is still watering, when I think about all the delicious dishes I had. We had our own table every day.
3. "The town's buildings are in bad shape". Yes, when you go further up the hill, they do look run down, but this is a very poor area and a lot of those buildings are under monument protection and the owners probably don't have the funds to repair them.

One thing to remember, if you come there for treatment and not just vacation, is to be very specific about your ailments. There are 3 or 4 different physicians. One of these will do your initial exam to determine the right treatment plan. The young female doctor who saw me initially did not prescribe the treatments I really needed and I wasted my first week with 4 daily treatments, that didn't really help me. I've been a nurse for a long time and know what I needed to get. You do have the prorocative to change doctors, if you are not happy and that's exactly what I did. The remaining 2 weeks I got what I needed and it helped me greatly. The staff for the treatments are very efficient and for the most part very friendly and helpful. If someone doesn't treat you right, let the doctor know. I had this happen with the first physical therapist I encountered there and he hurt me so badly stretching my muscles that I was in tears. I didn't have to deal with him again. Also, if your massage therapist isn't doing the trick, complain!! I requested Mr. Rauscher and got him for the rest of my treatments. He's the main person, who really helped me.

The surrounding woods behind the hotel are awesome!! If you are into hiking and able to, you can walk right out of the hotel and up into the Forrest. They have excellent trails. We took a bust our on one Saturday to see the surrounding area, but stayed at the hotel most of the time. The treatments (with the plan we had) kept us pretty busy.
You can lay at the hotel with dollars and Euros, so we never exchanged any money. Most places around town will take Euros and it is very inexpensive. Also, if you need to take some medications, ointments or whatever from the local town pharmacy, it is dirt cheap!! If it's a prescription, try to get one from the hotel doctor and buy it there.
Best way to get there is to fly into Prague and then get picked up by the hotel. We came from Frankfurt and took the train al, the way to Karlsbad. If you have a lot of luggage, which we did, NO fun, unless both all of you are able to handle your own luggage, but it's doable and affordable.
Internet is available in the rooms, but unless you have an upgraded room you have to pay. It's very cheap though, like everything else.
Ask me, if you have any questions, I'll be happy to try and answer your questions.

Room Tip: Get the Superior Plus. If they have them available facing the backside, it'll be quieter on the...
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
3  Thank Blewize42

Reviewed 15 May 2016

One big disappointment. First of all, Hotel looks nice from outside but inside looks like a mental hospital. There is very poor choice of food for breakfast and the waitress have no idea how to serve.

The room is like maximum 2* standards... and there is really infuriating space between doors and floor so you can hear every sound made at the hallway.

At 7:30 there is always room service barging into your room and wakes you up for no reason which is really crazy. Receptionist can type with only one finger which makes check-in at 2AM really unprofessional.

The hotel itself is only for retires. No good for Family, friends, couples or business...

This was for me the worst hotel ever. My no means 4*!!!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 August 2015

This was my third visit,it is a classic elegant place but this summer the Spa was fully booked,the staff was not enough to cope with what we needed. Too many children playing and running everywhere ,going up and down the elevators,they stay till very late at night ,it wasn't very relaxing.Some of the nurses weren't very qualified as it used to be.when I tried to discuss the issue with the doctor (Dr.Marsik Jindrich) , he replied that he didn't have enough staff .He wasn't patient enough and when I told him that am not feeling well he replied that I will improve by time actually am not feeling very well now . The last day I met The Manager On Duty (Korcokova Karla )who was so understanding positive and helpful, but it was too late.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms are fine ...
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2014

Spent 10 days in this 4 star (joke) hotel, never again nice hotel to look at from the outside. Went for the breakfast , which was included in room cost, the lady told me I have to sit and share small table with another 2 guests , well I have asked her for small table for my self, but no , can't be done, so I told them they can keep the breakfast. 4stars hotel? I don't think so , more like the komunist cantina.
Smoking area outside filthy, over flowing with cigaret buts, just disgusting , hey, us smokers we are not 3rd class citizens , we are paying for your salary, so no discrimination , please.
The manager have to be called and ask to get it clean up, what is she managing a dump?

Room Tip: Just use the radon baths, they are great and so is service, but stay some other place and eat at the...
  • Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo
6  Thank Hunter30062014
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I just returned from a spa week at this hotel where I stayed with my elderly parents over the Christmas period.

The good: This is a beautiful hotel, the rooms are nice and spacious and spa treatments are also very good and conveniently done in the hotel itself. The hotel has a very nice pool as well and the staff in the reception is very good.

The bad:
The hotel food was sometimes very good and sometimes not good at all and the dining room staff we found very disappointing - unfriendly, unhelpful and even rude at times and not matching the level of this 4* establishment. We dined in the 'Mirror' dining room and I do not recommend it. For example, on Christmas eve for an additional charge, we received a several small bottles of white and red wine. The white wine was lukewarm and when I asked for ice, I was told in very abrupt manner it's not part of the service and I should go and get it from the bar (located in a different part of the hotel) if I want it.
Coffee and tea should be served by the staff as stated in our info brochure for guests yet during my stay I got offered a hot drink only once so on most days we had to do it ourselves using the tea and coffee machines located in the dining room. When my mum asked a waitress for a small kettle for tea, she brought it over to our table, literally slammed it on the table and said: here it is and it is empty. When my mother asked why it is empty, the waitress answered: 'well, I wasn't sure what you wanted so you have to go and get it yourself' and immediately after that she walked off. These are just a couple of examples. Very disappointing service for a 4* hotel. This poor service is letting down this otherwise very good spa hotel. I am not coming back.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
11  Thank Ivana M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Jachymov
0.4 km away
Behounek
Behounek
#2 of 6 in Jachymov
7.8 km away
Best Western Ahorn Hotel Oberwiesenthal
Best Western Ahorn Hotel Oberwie...
#3 of 14 in Kurort Oberwiesenthal
10.7 km away
Spa Hotel Zamek Luzec
Spa Hotel Zamek Luzec
#1 of 2 in Nejdek

Been to Radium Palace? Share your experiences!