“Great day at the Czech countryside ”
Review of Konopiste Castle

Konopiste Castle
Book In Advance
USD 53.94*
Konopiste Castle Private Tour from Prague
USD 117.46*
and up
Konopiste Chateau and Cesky Sternberk Castle and Sázava Monastery Private Tour...
USD 101.88*
Private Tour: Konopiste Castle Tour from Prague
Ranked #133 of 2,497 things to do in Bohemia
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Founded in 1300, by the Benesovec family, this imposing castle is a magnificent example of the medieval fortification architecture influenced by the French.
Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

There is no need to take a tour from Prague to reach the castle. We took the train to Benesov, which took about 50 minutes from Prague at an incredibly low cost. The train is nice, people were very helpful.

Upon arrival to Benesov we took a taxi, which drove us to the castle.

The castle is in a beautiful forest. The tour is in Czech, but they provide audio guides.

The restaurant outside the castle, down the hill is very good and prices are beyond reasonable.

I highly recommend the visit!

2  Thank Karla H

Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

A beautiful castle and if you know the famous story of Franz Ferdinand and Sarajevo the tour 3 really added to the picture of this part of history. His aristocratic lifestyle is fully on show with so many of the animals mounted on the wall- eccentric to say the least although he is painted as the perfect family man. I had to pay for an audio guide while having to go round with a Czech speaking group. They seemed to be getting more than me from their live guide which was a bit disappointing. The gardens are lovely to walk round- I missed the bears which sounds like a good thing.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

Konopiste Castle is one of the very beautiful castles located in the surroundings of Prague, in the Bohemian Region. It is possible visit the castle only with a guided tour, but the visit is really interesting, especially the room with a lot of dissected animals. In fact, you can choose between 3 guided tours and we only do one of this. If you go to Bohemian region or to Prague, it is a very recommendable visit.
Moreover, we do the guided visit with our baby and it is perfectly possible.

Reviewed 20 July 2017

What can I say. Pros: Konopiste Castle is definitely an interesting place historically, and the garden is lovely. Our guide was enthusiastic and knowledgeable.

Cons: I do not understand the fascination for hunting trophies (historical or not), which the place is full of. They boast that Franz Ferdinand killed almost 300,000 animals by himself. The worst part for me, however, was the poor bear they keep in this small moat-like hole next to the castle. The guide told us there used to be two bears, but one died, and that they are looking for another one. He also said that 'unfortunately' the bear hides a lot, because 'he doesn't like people throwing stuff at him'. Really? That depressing hole is not suitable for one living creature, let alone two. What a disgrace. It would be best if they moved the bear to somewhere else where he’d have more decent living conditions.

Please stick to the history part of the place, and do not support animal abuse anymore. It is 2017, and this kind of 'attraction' is not what most of us want to see in this day and age. The castle and the garden are impressive enough on their own to attract visitors.

I visited Konopiste Castle with a group, but had I been on my own, I would have chosen not to go. The place made me really sad.

3  Thank marimh
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

Fabulous area around the Castle.
50 to park
2-300 to get on a tour and well worth the money compared to a lot of other places in the world. Try tour 2 first as this was good, long and lots to see.
Ice cream was special, but if you like Swedish or Italian ice cream, you should be fine here as well.
Remember to look around on the outside as well.
The castle dates back to 1200-1300, so pretty cool stuff.
Pictures not allowed inside