1,117 results
All reviews trifle bit dated afternoon tea leisure centre sauna and steam room twin room sandwiches stayed for one night short break good nights sleep plenty of parking gym tina essex teas zoo venue
Reviewed 4 October 2018 via mobile

All a bit dated & tired, but what really got me was being fined for parking my car. Apparently I was supposed to give my reg number to reception, but because I met my business colleagues in the bar I didn’t go to reception. I refused to pay the fines being demanded by their Rottweiler enforcement company, but the demands kept coming, getting more & more threatening. Eventually one of the hotel managers intervened and got the demand cancelled, but it took months & months. Plenty of much better places in Colchester, and who treat their customers better. Don’t go here.

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank DED114R
Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

The service here was fantastic. Ellie on the main reception desk when I checked in was so incredibly welcoming and friendly. Just what I needed after a long day on the road and being warmly greeted when I arrived made a huge difference. Nothing was too much trouble for Ellie. I was delivering a session the following day at the hotel that had a number of people booked on. Ellie was more than happy to walk me round to the conference suite I would be in to reassure me everything would be set up as expected.

The atmosphere in this hotel is lovely. The staff were a pleasure not just Ellie but the ladies serving at the bar were also fab.

My room was clean and the bed incredibly comfortable. The meal I had was gammon egg and veg. Generous size of gammon and room service was spot on with hardly any wait whatsoever on food. The following morning I had breakfast delivered to my room at exactly the time specified and the breakfast was perfectly cooked and also yummy.

The function itself the following day seemed effortless to this venue. They're clearly well experienced with holding successful external events. Wi-Fi speedy despite multiple users, refreshments throughout were no problem.

I can't fault anything to do with food, service and atmosphere. The only areani feel the hotel could improve is that it was a little dated throughout the hotel, it just needs a refresh in general in my view.

My stay was lovely and I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in the area.

Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 30 September 2018

We stayed here at the end of September 2018 to visit family in the area. The hotel is a brick monstrosity on the outside, and surprisingly pleasant on the inside. You aren't going to stay here because it looks cute, but because you need a room.

The double room we had was OK. Not as good as a nice new Premier Inn, but OK. A little tired in it's decor, but most hotels have a rolling process of room refurbishment and if you got a new one, it would be fine, most likely.

A little expensive at £90 odd quid, but it was a Saturday night.

There was a wedding on and we were helpfully given a room well away from the function room. This was excellent, and we had a decent night's sleep.

On balance I'd stay here again as the location is useful for us, the room OK, and the service at reception polite and efficient.

Room tip: Get a room on the 2nd (upper floor) well away from the function room.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 September 2018 via mobile

Good large room with a strong shower. Lack of a/c bit of an issue when it was 29+ degrees but as I was out all day this was fine (plus the large fan in the room really helped). Clean and quiet despite being relatively full and the staff were friendly and helpful. Good access to Colchester each day without any delays.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 17 September 2018 via mobile

Just came back from a night here,walking through the hotel you can see it’s mainly targeting the conference/ wedding market but all the decor seemed quite dated , that being said the room was very well appointed, clean and roomy, the breakfast was a buffet everything was plentiful and hot with both English and continental options. We didn’t use the pool but you could see it’s well used by the amount of people coming and going. All told I’d recommend this hotel unless you’re after a quaint romantic type of hotel which this isn’t and good value.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple