“Nice place to relax in Lombok”

Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Mangsit
Reviewed 7 August 2011

We stayed at the Beach Resort in a Pool Villa with private plunge pool for four nights. We liked the location - it suited us because we just wanted to relax and be away from hustle and bustle. The resort is not in a town and was a couple of kilometers from Senggigi and took us about 30 minutes to walk there or you could catch a taxi for a couple of dollars. The grounds were immaculate, really pretty and well maintained. The infinity pool was lovely and you can either choose to lie on sunbeds near the pool or along the beach. There are beach hawkers who do try and sell goods but we didn't find them annoying at all. We only had to say 'no' once and they would leave us alone to relax. They were actually quite friendly - just people trying to make a living.
We found the fitness centre lacking for our needs. There was no decent cardio equipment - just two primitive odd contraptions - however the place claims to have 'different' exercise equipment so there's no false advertising there. They have a climbing rope, boxing bag, a few stretchy things, and some weights. I would have liked a treadmill. A downfall with this fitness centre is it is in the same building as the art gallery and we felt a bit awkward exercising in front of the person working in the gallery and/or visitors to the gallery.
Our room was brand new and it was spacious, clean and neat. It has a big spa bath in it, a huge bed, some deck chairs and a table near the plunge pool and cable TV. Although brand new, the room seemed to lack a little character - too much white and wood and not much colour or charm. The plunge pool was also shaded all day so never heated up, so we didn't actually use it.
We enjoyed the breakfast which was a self serve buffet with breads, cereals, fruits, juices, pancakes, croissants, freshly prepared eggs and more. We ate a few lunches at the restaurant and found the meals a little pricey but quite yummy. We also had some dinners which were much better value and also enjoyable - but not outstanding. There was evening entertainment two nights that we were there. The boy band 'Senggigi Trio' (???) were entertaining however another night there was a very cheesy lady singing very cheesy songs and it was completely depressing!
We found the cafe and grounds staff to be very polite and professional, however thought the receptionists were a bit vague at times.
The two big annoyances we experienced were the over-presence of Marcel (the owner) and the housekeeping. The room compendiums tell the history of Marcel, the cafe has photos of him and his family dancing, and the cafe lists things that are 'Mr Marcels favourites'. I know it's his place and he's proud, but I personally found it irritating.
In terms of housekeeping - I more refer to the waste of resources as a problem for me. On the door to our villa was a wooden plaque. On one side is a picture of a broom (meaning clean my room) and on the other is a picture of a person saying 'shh' (meaning do not disturb). As we were only there for four days we didn't think it necessary to replace towels and bedsheets everyday. We wouldn't do this at home, and do not require this on holidays. As such, we turned our sign to 'shh' everyday, however this was ignored every day and we would return to find our sign turned around - as if we had requested it to be cleaned - and new sheets and a full complement of towels replaced. I would prefer a bit of environmental conciousness in my hotel and also, if the cleaner is going to ignore the sign and turn it around anyway, why have it? Also, the spa bath in the room was half filled of water when we arrived and looked pretty, but again, I like to save fresh water. Overall, from what we saw of other accommodation options in the area, the Puri Mas probably is one of the nicest in that part of Lombok and we'd recommend it.

1  Thank AustraliaJam
LovelyLombok, General Manager at Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2011

First of all I would like to thank you so much for writing a review for our resort, and for making the review full of relevant and valuable information for other readers.

To avoid readers being confused I would just like to clarify our room categories. Our Pool Villas offer private 25m2 swimming pools, and our Studio rooms offer 8m2 plunge pools - Your accommodation was one of our newly completed Studio Rooms.

Your comments have been really constructive and helpful to us and I would like to thank you for pointing out your environmental concerns. It is a topical point and we will take on board your concerns, as there is no doubt we are conscious about saving water - but also know many guests really enjoy the floral bath experience! From your comments I will now consider to compromise with a different option.

We also appreciate what you have said about the housekeeping and their method of changing the linen. Our sign offers two options as you say - do not disturb or clean. We do have a standard procedure, which our housekeeping staff were following during your stay, but your comment has prompted me to offer an alternative option to our guests of how often they would prefer their linen to be changed depending upon the duration of their stay.

I have to agree with you about our singer over the last couple of weeks, and we have already made a change for the better!

Thank you very much for your helpful comments, we hope you will visit us again, and see first hand some changes we have made thanks to the things you have suggested.

Sara Sanders

Reviewed 5 August 2011

Since the first moment it was special... When we arrived Mr Marcel de Rijk, the owner made himself a great reception and followed us till our room.... He was very nice and sympathic!
The room was extraordinary! A very detailed decoration which made us feel very comfortable and in a very charming place....
All the employees were always very kind and always smiling.... Nice environment. The view to the mont Agung during the sun set will stay in our memories forever...
The food was very special and well done! We ate the seafood platter and day after the special menu... Superb!
The infinite swimming pool, meditation garden, fitness, every thing in a very original and special decoration which made the experience still better!
We did massage in the spa. The therapists were the best ones we met ever.... In the whole world. Everything done in a very intimist and personal way... the oils had an excellent quality and massage was top!
The general manager, mrs Sara was also extremely kind! Hope we come back soon!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

It is ever important to all of us working in Puri Mas that our guests have a positive experience. We truly appreciate the time and effort it takes for our guests to write a review for other potential visitors to read. It is especially wonderful for us to see what a pleasure it has been for you to stay with us, and our feeling of gratitude to you is reciprocated one hundred times over for the kind words and support you have given to our resort in this review. We thank you so much and hope to see you again one day in Puri Mas.

Thank you from everyone in Puri Mas.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

Puri Mas has got an interesting story... I guess what makes it so different from so many other properties is the personality of the owner, Marcel, an ex-Dutch ballroom dancing champion whose ties to Lombok and Indonesia go back a long way, through his grand-father... And the fact that Marcel has put so much of himself in this hotel... Maybe a bit "too much" of himself for the taste of some guests who could find it a bit OTT... Marcel is very much present, as not only does he walk around greeting guests on a regular basis, his life story is everywhere to be read (including in the restaurant menus...) which makes a fun and gratifying subject of conversation... You may feel a bit awkward at first but once you have met the guy, you soon realise that he is far from egotistic but on the contrary very keen to talk with guests and make your experience at Puri Mas truly unique...

The great thing with having the owner so involved is that you are guaranteed to have a fantastic experience, as he is so emotionally attached to the place...

Now, as far as the hotel is concerned, very little to criticise... Quite awkwardly, and confusingly if you read the website, Puri Mas has got two locations: one by the beach which is the main one with the restaurant and infinity pool by the beach (on the website it is called the BEACH RESORT and the PRIVATE VILLAS), and one slightly inland, 5 minutes by car which has got a few private villas, the spa and the large swimming pool (on the website it is the SPA RESORT).

I stayed at Puri Mas with someone special, four nights in one of the private villas in the BEACH RESORT (villa 9). With our small pool, mini bar, terrace and total privacy, I can say we spent a fabulous time. It was almost "too nice" to leave the villa every day! It is perfect if you are looking to have some intimacy, whilst at the same time giving yourself the odd moments of socialising, be it at the bigger common pool, or at the restaurant.

Breakfast was delicious, dinner and snack menus were diverse and reasonably priced, minibar costs were totally acceptable and at 300USD B&B per night we felt we were paying the right price for what we were getting.

We also organised a dive with the hotel-based diving instructor at the nearby Gilli Islands (95USD per person for two dives) which was perfect and saved us the hassle of having to organise our own diving day.

The hotel beach is like in many places around Indonesia, I find, ie not that conducive to sunbathing on the sand but Puri Mas built a small terrace overlooking the beach which is just as good, and in four steps you are in the sea...

The hotel is a short taxi ride away from the bars in Sengiggi if you feel like going out, and next door is the also beautiful Quincy Villas Hotel with a fabulous restaurant, which offered a nice and welcome change from the one at Puri Mas...

I would definitely go back again. I will remember it as THE perfect holiday... It did help that I was well accompanied but still... Puri Mas made it very special.

Reviewed 2 August 2011

I love every bit of Puri Mas beach resort. The staff, architecture, cleanliness, private beach and just every single bit of this resort. Such a lovely quaint place to enjoy the sounds of crashing waves, chirping of birds- just what we needed. Sunset is must do too! I totally enjoy having breakfast and seeing the volcano across the sea. We stayed in the studio villa, had a small little pool and lovely tubby! I asked for a gorgeous room when I booked, and my wish was granted! Supposed to stay at Gili Trawangan for another 3 nights, we decided to scoot after a night stay there and went back to our peaceful chamber Puri Mas. 5 nights at Puri Mas, the best holiday we ever had.
As for food, generally well done. We loved the street food place at Senggigi town. Our favourite was this arty restaurant called Warung. It has a life sized cow picture at the entrance. We had a romantic meal, beautiful set up by the hotel staff in our room..food was alright. I dont find it impressive, we prefer heading outto Senggigi for dinner. Taxi is cheap, so no worries about that. Less than 2euros to and fro(Senggigi to Puri Mas).
We are missing Puri Mas and hope to return there again one day. Oh by the way, if you happen to stay a minimum of 3 nights, the hotel could arrange for airport transfer. Just give a check.

Room Tip: I loved my studio villa room. full of privacy. The rest of the rooms are equally good, it seems. Jus...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2011

We were looking forward staying at Puri Mas.It was supposed to be our treat after a hard year of work. But we were dismally disappointed when we arrived there. The big wooden gates to the resort were opened by two guards with guard dogs. We were led into a small room .The walls were dirty and the paint was peeling of them. A double bed was in the middle and tiny table in the corner. The fridge was kept outside due to the lack of room inside.The room was dark and decorated in bad taste. Selling itself as one of the best hotels in the world we were happy to dish out $110AUD per night. We wanted to go to another hotel straight away but having prepaid the room our chances of refund were very slim. We tried to ask for a bigger room but were informed that all the rooms were the same. The gardens around the resort are nice and well maintained. The huts at the resort are clusted close to each other leaving leaving little room for privacy. The breakfast is OK but certainly not upto a standard of a first class resort as it likes to potray itself. The following morning the owner Marcel came up to us shaking our hand vigorously and mumbling something about calling the police about the noise outside the gate. We took the opprtunity and raised our concerns with him. He was very dismissive of our complaints but when we returned from a days outing part of the walls in our room were repainted along with our luggage which happened to be in the way. Walking along the beach and mingling with the locals we heard several complaints about Marcel employing bullying techniques against the local villages.One of the villages told us that no one in the village would work for Marcel.
It is better to spread the wealth around and hire the services of the local villages instead of services provided by the hotel. All you need to do is walk down the beach and someone will come up to you .Its cheaper and you can bargain and the poor villages have more food on the table.

2  Thank msmarinaalexander
LovelyLombok, General Manager at Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2011

Thank you for your comments regarding your 5 day stay with us, and we are very sorry to hear that your holiday was not as you had anticipated. I remember meeting you both, and feel personally very sorry that you didn't alert me to your disappointment immediately, as I am sure there would have been something we could have done to help improve your stay with us.
In response to your comments:
Our resort has a traditional Balinese village theme, and our wooden entry gates are part of our traditional style of a Balinese compound. You will find many other beautiful gates and doors around our resort also which our guests seem to love. Our entry gates are not automatic; therefore we do require a security guard or other staff person to open them when guests arrive.
Puri Mas has many animals that the owner has rescued that live in our animal park beside our beautiful Spa Resort 2km away from our Beach Resort. We also have 6 dogs that are part of our family, and live between our two resorts.
I am not sure that Korsa and Bomber could really be described as guard dogs. Most guests have photographs with them and shake hands and play with them much of the time, and even make personal comments about the dogs on their Tripadvisor reviews. Having the dogs has been a way of helping our staff understand the purpose and companion ship of these wonderful creatures, which has been a tremendous experience for them. It is also a pleasure for the majority of our guests to see such well cared for and happy animals.
As many visitors to Indonesia are probably aware, dogs are generally not well cared for and as we acquired 3 of our dogs by default, because their Mum Korsa had a wild moment and ended up pregnant, therefore we felt obliged to offer them homes! Hence our guests being greeted by Korsa and Bomber her son when they arrive at our Beach Resort!! Just to let you know that Bomber’s sisters Maggie and Mutiara Hitam (Black Pearl) are living in our Spa Resort and will also greet guests with glee!
The room you refer to is one of our 5 Superior Rooms. I would like to point out that the character of our resort is a unique and traditional style, which also means that every room is different, not as you have reported in your review “that all rooms were the same”, meaning that even though the category may be a superior room, it doesn’t mean it will be an exact replica of its neighbouring superior room. We believe, as do our many guests, that this is the beauty and benefit of staying in a Boutique Resort such as ours. Many guests do refer to our resort on Tripadvisor as “world class”, because that has been their experience; just to clarify to any readers of your review, we do our utmost to give our guests the best experience and thank those who feel it was “world class”, but we our more modest in our advertising and have never actually made this claim ourselves!
We have no record of you making a complaint to your agent, and this is something we would advise any guest to do if they arrive in any resort they are unhappy with to see if they can make an alternative arrangement. We are surprised you stayed for 5 days without contacting your agent or even me as the Manager, and as far as I was aware you had made no attempt to change rooms.
The majority of our rooms were occupied at the time of your stay, however, they were higher category rooms, but had you requested an upgrade I am sure my staff would have been only too pleased to have assisted you.
I take note that you felt we had put the mini bar outside because the room was too small, however, this is not the case but in fact it was placed outside because some people do not like to hear the smallest sound of a fridge going on and off in the night. The superior room you stayed in has a queen size bed, a bedside table, and a wardrobe, it also has a large garden bathroom with bathtub and rain shower.
The décor which you believe is in bad taste is in a traditional Indonesian style with curtains and blinds made from hand-woven ikat. The bed is a queen size and has an ikat bedcover together with mosquito net curtains which we use in all of our rooms and are admired by the majority of our clientele who love the arts and crafts of Indonesia. The furniture is also traditional style with a marble topped carved bedside table and an armoire style of wardrobe. Again I point out that our resort theme is traditional Indonesian and all of our furnishings are antique Indonesian in style which may not be to your taste.
I take note of your comments about our owner who you mention by name, and I am aware after speaking to him, that he did his utmost to ensure your complaints about the small amount of flaking paint and crooked picture were attended to immediately. I understand he also picked up the piece of paper that you commented on when you referred to the room as being dirty.
In relation to your comments you heard from the locals, I would like to point out that Puri Mas was the first resort in Mangsit Beach and our owner was a pioneer in Lombok long before tourism was an option here. We have an excellent relationship with the local people having known and employed many of them over the last 25 years.
For your information, and any person reading your review who may be concerned about your comments regarding the local people, I wish to give the correct information.
Puri Mas employs 80 staff, the majority of which are from the two villages directly adjacent to our Resorts, namely Mangsit and Kerandangan. Puri Mas also provides excellent on site free housing for many staff and their families. The staff houses are situated beside our Spa Resort in Kerandangan, and guests are welcome to wander there at any time during their stay with us make their own judgements first hand.

Sara Sanders

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mangsit
0.3 km away
Kila Senggigi Beach Lombok
#11 of 29 in Senggigi
2.6 km away
Living Asia Resort and Spa Lombok

Been to Puri Mas Boutique Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!