3,618 results
All reviewssea grapebarefoot grillcaptain seanteepee bargaugin restaurantbeach frontpremium suiterocking chairsguest servicesdouble showersuperior beachfrontred flagour honeymoonrum punchplunge poolbird sanctuarythe cottages
Reviewed 22 December 2012

I've read many of the other reviews of Galley Bay, and having just spent 9 nights there I am left wondering if we stayed in the same hotel. Sure the staff are great, and extremely helpful, and judging by the number of guests hugging them on exit there are many repeat visitors. However, first impressions count, and on arrival at our Deluxe beachfront room I was left lamenting my decision not to pack a paintbrush and on entering the room somewhat taken back by a room last refitted many years ago. Electrics were frankly dangerous. We immediately asked about paying for an upgrade, but no one came back to us. True, there is painting being carried out, which will benefit the next guests, but I have to ask why we were put in this room when the hotel was only 70 pct full. Moving on to the pool, if you like noisy waterfalls this place is for you, but I can't count how many times I wished I could have found the switch. Sunloungers were very tired, and mattresses would not have been out of place on a council tip. The pool itself was freezing, everyone was bracing themselves before entering.
Ok I've finished my whining now. Food wise breakfast is pretty good, lunch ( especially the Barefoot grill) was really very enjoyable. Dinner after 7 nights was getting pretty mundane and the wine was awful, although the upgrades weren't too expensive ( I lied when I said I'd finished whining).
Overall, I felt the place was no where near the standard it claimed to be, and having visited Carribean hotels over 20 times, Galley Bay is certainly one of the more forgettable.

Room Tip: Ask to see it first. Because the rooms are some way from reception once you are in it's tricky to change
11  Thank OlliebeakLondon
Reviewed 21 December 2012

We enjoyed a wonderful holiday at Galley Bay. We had a Beach Front premium Suite which was huge, we chose to be upstairs. The whole resort is so relaxing, not for the people who want to be up dancing until the early hours, but for us it was ideal. We ate at all the restaurants which were all good, Ismays is a must, well worth the supplement. We found all the staff efficient and friendly, the choice of drinks was superb, and the music in the evening most enjoyable. They were busy preparing for Christmas and even put a little Christmas Tree and lights in our room - a lovely touch. Can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Beach front rooms are very special, they are right on the beach
1  Thank casndegs
Reviewed 20 December 2012

First the good news. The Beach Front Premium Suite was large, well maintained with a great view of the sea. No problems here. Too bad the rest of the resort doesn't have the same standards.

There is little to do at this place but sit in the sun and watch the waves. The recreational equipment is scarce and in general poorly maintained. As an example they have a single treadmill in the so called gym and it's about falling apart. They have three Hobe Cats only one of which was in service during my stay. The ocean going kayaks all had the back rests broken off. Their claimed Sunfish sailboat was also out of commission.

The service is spotty at best with about 30% of the staff acting like they are disinterested in their job. One night one of the waitresses made three errors during our dinner service and seemed not to care one bit. It took the water sports person about 30 minutes to check out a Hobe Cat after he had already shown up about 20 minutes after his listed opening time. There is drink service at the pool but the girl only came around about once an hour. There is no service of any kind on the beach. You can walk to the bar and get a drink if you wish but the bar can be about 1/4 mile from the beach in front of your room depending on what number suite you are assigned.

The food is at best mediocre at breakfast and lunch with dinner being the worst food I have eaten in a long time. All the meats were tough enough to almost use for shoe soles. They have a shack called the barefoot grill where a lady turns out what may be the worst grilled lunch food on the planet and has an attitude problem to boot. An added attraction at one of the restaurants at the end of the beach is being attacked by sand fleas. We didn't have this trouble but stayed clear of the place after the lady next door had been bitten on both legs about 30 times while eating there.

I have been to at least 10 similar supposedly high end resorts in the Caribbean over the last 6 years. Galley Bay is at the bottom of the list all things considered.

If all you are interested in is a nice room on a nice beach then this may be your spot. If you think a resort should offer food at least as good as a low end restaurant chain, well maintained and reasonably plentiful recreational equipment along with service without an attitude then look elsewhere.

I have absolutely no idea what the people rating this place as excellent are talking about. I notice most are from the UK. Maybe a sunny day and a night sky with stars is all they need to make them happy.

At the rates Galley Bay charges it surely wasn't enough for me as I know from experience there are many better Caribbean resorts in the same or somewhat lower price range offering decent food and service along with a lot of recreational activities and entertainment.

5  Thank ronsc1985
Reviewed 20 December 2012

We enjoyed 5 nights in an oceanfront suite. We liked being on the Ismay side of the resort, it was a bit more spread out and quiet. Actually, the whole resort was quiet, just delightful for relaxing. Our suite was immaculate and well cared for by the housekeepers. The bed was firm and the pillows comfortable. The space was excellent, especially the huge bathroom with double walk in shower, double sinks, and an enormous tub. We liked the second floor, more private, a high ceiling, and a full sweeping view of the sea from our balcony. Wifi worked great in our suite. The restaurants were fantastic. No buffets, everything off the menu, and daily specials. The house wine was quite good. Service is excellent and professional. The fish and meat offerings change daily, lots of fresh vegetables and salad. Breakfast is divine, many egg concoctions - my favorite was the poached eggs and crabcakes. The breads are to die for, freshly baked daily. There is plenty of fresh fruit, creamy oatmeal, yogurt. And don't skimp on dessert during the day, this pastry chef knows how to bake. We enjoyed the Sea Grape, the main restaurant, but came to love Gaugin and had many lunches and dinners there. It was just more remote and we liked eating under own private palapa. Ismay's was fine. The lobster was incredible. If you'd like a fine dining night with white tablecloths and incredible service, GO, the upcharge was only $35 pp. Bar service is friendly and there is usually live music during the evening. Sitting out on the main patio at night watching the stars was heavenly. The beach is so clean. The sand so soft. There are lots of lounges, no fighting for a spot. The yellow flag was up all week, many went in the sea, but the waves for a bit high for me. The airport is just a 20 minute ride away, appx. a $20 taxi ride. We took walks around the lagoon for afternoon exercise. There are lots of ducks and birds to see on this walk, one day I even saw 2 mongeese running around. The beach is long enough for a good stroll or run as well. You feel absolutely safe and secure at all times. Most of the visitors are British, then add a handful of US and Canadians. A really nice group overall, generally aged 30-75. If you want to party hard, do not go to Galley Bay. It is awesome for relaxing and being pampered. We rarely go back to a place, but this is one we would visit again.

Room Tip: The suites are spacious and lovely on the Ismay side.
1  Thank Pamela V
Reviewed 18 December 2012

We have just arrived back from a week’s stay in Galley Bay for our honeymoon and just wanted to tell anyone considering visiting this hotel, that it’s absolutely superb.

We were looking for a relaxing holiday as we left straight after our wedding in busy London and all the planning and preparation had taken their toll. Galley Bay was exactly what we were looking for – beautiful surroundings, a relaxed feel with great food and service.

Right from the start, we knew we had made the right choice – especially when we got back to our room after our first evening to discover a complimentary bottle of champagne – a lovely touch that we really appreciated.

The staff were all fantastic and we had the most amazing (and very strong!) cocktails – all made with premium international spirits (unlike some other all inclusive resorts). Also, I would particularly compliment the range of vegetarian food – as a fairly well travelled veggie, I am very aware that most countries are not anywhere near as veggie friendly as the UK and that I will be destined to live on omelettes, pizza and pasta whilst I’m away from home. I’m pleased to say that this was not the case at Galley Bay - there were really interesting and exciting veggie options on every menu and for the first time ever, I didn’t eat one slice of pizza during the whole week!

I still can’t believe the view we got to wake up to every morning – we had one of the beach view rooms and would definitely recommend paying the extra for one of these as opening up our doors with direct access to the beach and sea was a magical way to start each day. The Gauguin cottages just didn’t have quite the same appeal although I’m sure they were nice.

My only slight issue (which may not apply to others) is that we booked into Ismay’s one night which is the resort’s ‘fine dining’ restaurant and has a surcharge of $35 per person. As I’m veggie and my husband doesn’t like seafood, I’m not sure this was worth the extra money. For example, we could not eat the amuse bouche as it was lobster and they did not have an alternative to offer us which was a little bit disappointing. However, the food was very good and others commented that the food was even better that the other 2 restaurants which were both excellent anyway.

We’re both still feeling felt completely rejuvenated, even after our commute on the London underground this morning which really is quite something!