Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
Encanta La Vida(Cabo Matapalo)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspacific trailsuspension bridgeresident biologistbreakfast and lunchdeluxe cabinascarlet macawsother guestshiking trailscosta ricatide poolsprimary forest tourtropical gardenanimal sanctuarymaintained trailssunset tourowners phil and kimbuffet style
Reviewed 5 October 2017

This September my wife and I, along with two our two adult sons, spent ten days at Bosque del Cabo. Simply stated, we each had a wonderful time. The lodge is located at the tip of the Osa Peninsula above both Golfo Dulce and the Pacific Ocean, set within the lush rainforest. It is one of the most beautiful settings one can imagine.
The cabinas in which we stayed (Pixote and El Sol) were clean, very comfortable and quite well maintained. They have nice porches where we spent a fair amount of time relaxing, hanging out together and taking in the great views of the Pacific Ocean. As the lodge is nestled within the rainforest, animals abound. Just from our porch, on countless occasions, we saw monkeys, toucans, macaws and lapas. Once we left the cabinas, on a consistent basis, we also saw other animals, including a wild boar. And that’s beside the abundant wildlife we had a chance to see on our numerous hikes on Bosque’s number of well-maintained trails located on the property. The amount of wildlife we saw during our stay exceeded our expectations. So, if that’s one of the things that you want to experience on a visit to the rainforest in Costa Rica Bosque will certainly not disappoint.
The grounds on the property are well maintained, adding to the nice, laid-back, relaxing atmosphere of the lodge. A shout out to the Bosque team responsible for that.
The food was great. The kitchen staff consistently turned out fresh, well-prepared, well-presented meals that we really enjoyed. They went above and beyond and prepared some Costa Rican dishes for us as well. That was one of the many highlights of our stay at Bosque. Throughout our time there the wait staff provided a high level of service that was thoughtful, warm, courteous and efficient. Not only did they have a smile on their face, they had a smile in their voice.
Actually, that applies to all the staff we interacted with at Bosque. They seem very dedicated to ensuring that all their guests have a good stay and enjoy themselves. It’s a team effort and it’s evident that they all do their part. When we arrived, the person who met us spent a while introducing us to Bosque, informing us of the many activities that were available to us. Whenever we wanted to arrange an activity, he was there to help, as was the lodge’s owner, Phil Spier, who along with his wife Kim, take a very active role at the lodge interacting with both guests and the lodges staff. They have assembled a solid and dedicated team and together they to make their guests’ stay a pleasant and memorable one.
Lastly, as other lodges on the Osa Peninsula, Bosque del Cabo dedicates itself to practicing sustainable tourism and to protecting its biodiversity. That is important to our family as well and is one of the reasons we chose to come to Bosque. We certainly had an enjoyable, relaxing, exciting, educational and memorable time while we were there. We highly recommend Bosque del Cabo and certainly hope we have the opportunity to return.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Chuck G
Reviewed 18 September 2017

Have stayed here 4 times now. First things First: Bosque del Cabo is NOT inexpensive. That said, it's worth every penny. My hobby is nature photography and for me this location is absolutely perfect. Rooms are beautiful and comfortable and service is beyond exceptional. There is almost always an abundance of wildlife meandering around your doorsteps. A nature photographers dream. My most recent stay was in Casa Coco and one afternoon a group of near 30 to 40 peccaries passed through the garden very nonchalantly. An awesome sight. Lots of spider monkeys, howlers, toucans and other beautiful birds and many cool looking insects. Food is excellent and the lodge is great about helping plan day trips off site. I highly recommend this place and I plan to continue returning.

Room Tip: My favorite is Casa Coco. It's a house not a room so more suitable for 2 or more persons. Great for family with private pool.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank David O
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

This is THE placed to stay! Our gluten and dairy free diet were not only accommodated, but they went as far as to make us a gluten/dairy free cake for our 20th anniversary dinner. They really went all out to make sure we feet special, and that we were safe! The kindness of the owners and staff overflows. What a great adventure!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 September 2017

This review is LONG overdue. I traveled here in June of 2016 (though Trip Advisor would only let me indicate from their dropdown menu the actual date because I waited too long to review). I traveled all the way along the west coast of Costa Rica, starting in Liberia, and this was the best part of my trip, hands down. The property is stunning. While there are plenty of hiking trails, one does not need to hike to experience the wildlife. Everywhere you look there are animals. Coatis roam the property in large groups. Monkeys inhabit just about every tree you look at. Agoutis dash around. Poison dart frogs are easy to find. And there are birds galore.

I stayed in the Sol Cabina. It was so clean and welcoming. The view is incredible. You can wake up in the morning to the sight of the ocean right from your bed, and the sound of the waves crashing below will lull you to sleep. You don't even have to leave the cabina to enjoy the wildlife. Every morning we were greeted by coatis climbing the palm tree right off our deck. Every afternoon around 4:00 p.m. was a parade of monkeys (howlers, spider and capuchin) that would wander down the cliff. The entire ordeal took nearly an hour and it happened EVERY day. Around sunset the scarlet macawas would pass by. And as you enjoy your outdoor shower, monkeys swing from above right over you.

The staff is amazing. Everyone from the front desk, to the restaurant staff, to the housekeepers, to the owners. They go out their way to make your experience perfect. I had the unfortunate experience of learning of a friend's death while staying, and because you get NO cell service there, the owners made sure to get me on their land line so that I could connect with friends and family back home. And when I learned that my last hotel of my Costa Rica adventure had closed without notice, the hotel went out of their way to accommodate me for an extra 3 days, and arrange for an alternative flight.

The pool is the perfect escape after hiking and is perfectly situated next to the bar. The trails are well kept and take you to secluded beaches and waterfalls. You can be as busy or as relaxed as you want during your stay.

The food...oh the food. Dinner is set up family style. I was a little unsure of this when I first read this, but it was the perfect way to meet other guests and trade stories of the day's adventures.

As mentioned, you will get NOOOO cell service while there. However, there was wifi in the bar that allowed me to stay somewhat connected with family back home.

I will, without a shadow of a doubt, return to Bosque del Cabo. I don't think a day has gone by over the past year, that I haven't found myself daydreaming about my time there. This is a must for wildlife and nature lovers. And if you enjoy photography, whether it be a hobby or by profession, this will be your paradise! Enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: You won't go wrong with ANY casita. But I stayed in Sol and loved it.
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
3  Thank Bethany T
Reviewed 26 August 2017

We have been to Bosque more than a dozen times and you'd think it would lose its luster after so many visits, but quite the opposite happened. We can't even imagine a year that doesn't include a recharging of all our senses by returning. The abundance of wildlife never ceases to enchant us as we hike or relax on a deck... we always look forward to eating the amazing food again...and the entire staff, from the lovely couple in the Puerto Jimenez office who help plan our trip, to the ones working at the front desk and in the restaurant, all make us feel like we are good friends returning. Bosque has become a part of us and given us the most amazing memories to last a lifetime.

Originally, we craved a place we could go where it was safe, remote, laid back, family friendly, fun and active, yet still relaxing. At first we would go with our 4 young children, then as teenagers they'd bring friends and now they bring their significant others and next we will be adding grandchildren to the group. The bonding that has been nurtured and encouraged because of this magical place and the technology free time spent together during these trips has proven to be priceless.

Over the years we have shared our most favorite place on the planet with over 25 friends and extended family and every one of them has been awed by the experience and now holds a special place in their hearts for Bosque. We have stayed in every one of their accommodations: several ocean front cabinas, garden cabina and house, Casa Teka, Casa Blanca, Casa Miramar, and Casa Coco. Each one was perfect and offered a different and enjoyable new perspective to our vacation.

This past trip, in July/Aug, we were a group of 13 ranging in age from 19-83. We put the older family members in Casa Blanca so they could easily walk the grounds and be close to the lodge if they needed anything. The rest of us were up in Casa Miramar, which is our favorite because it's far away from everything and our crazy kids can be as loud as they want while playing games around the table or swimming in the pool. This year we decided to have a simple ceremony to renew our wedding vows on Casa Miramar's deck for our 30th Anniversary and it was such a sweet, sentimental occasion made more wonderful by the special touches provided by Bosque's staff. They decorated the house beautifully, brought up delicious appetizers and drinks, drove my family up from Casa Blanca for the ceremony, and even baked a special cake for after our reception dinner.

We are already looking at all our schedules to see when we can get back!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family