2,304 results
All reviews water park regal vistas partial kitchen full kitchen go karts horseback riding bumper cars petting zoo snow tubing toaster oven activity cards eagle trace through rci rec center woodstone meadows skyline drive luray caverns
Reviewed 3 April 2018

I received a "free" weekend stay at Massanutten Resort for me and one other person. The weekend turned into a frustrating and stressful experience we never would have expected.

Facilities: The hotel portion of the complex we stayed in was very out of date and had a strange odor. Even when checking in, the main area looked pretty similar to my local DMV. It was like being in a 1970's horror film. The main clubhouse was disgusting. I would compare it to a 30 year old high school, complete with vending machines, plastic furniture in the common areas, and paint chipping off the cinder block walls.

Staff: We encountered many staff members on this trip and there wasn't one person we were thrilled to have interacted with. In actuality, the person who showed us around the complex during our "mandatory presentation" was quite possibly the most pushy sales person we had ever encountered. He was also sick with bronchitis and coughed about 60% of the time we were with him. Since this was a time share frenzy, the sales staff were overly pushy and even went as far as asking my significant other and I if we didn't want to purchase a time share because we weren't sure how long we would be together. In my humble opinion, that isn't any of their business. The sales staff also asked us about salary and vacation time, which is also none of their business. We spent four hours at a presentation that was mandatory to receive the benefits of a free weekend at Massanutten. We were told it would be an hour an half. It took us that long to get them to back off. We left frustrated and taken advantage of and spent the rest of our evening in the room watching Netflix instead of enjoying the resort.

Food: The food was expensive and not good. We live in Washington, DC and have access to some of the best food in the country. I was very disappointed in the selection of restaurants and the quality of the fare.

Experience Overall: I would never recommend anyone visit Massanutten. Our experience was truly awful and I would never stay there again, let alone purchase a time share there.

Room Tip: Nothing good about this resort.
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bgtjelmeland
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I can imagine that the Massanutten experience varies over the course of the year. Our family of 4 went for a weekend in early spring, just past the end of the ski season, and it wasn't that great.

Pros:
- scenic outdoorsy locale in the mountains of Virginia
- relaxing environment (although the flip side could be "not much to do")
- we had fun playing mini golf
- my wife enjoyed the (few) shops just outside of the resort by the highway

Cons:
- Sounds like a small thing, but it took us nearly 24h to properly figure out the door lock. You swipe your card and it unlocks between 10 seconds and 2 minutes(!) later (we timed it). They seriously need to fix this annoyance.
- The resort is so spread out that most meals and activities involved a 5-7 minute car ride from our hotel or from one activity to the next. We only had one car so sometimes we had to strategize when different people wanted to do different activities (e.g. for my wife's massage I either had to drop her off or else I was stuck in the hotel for the duration). It seems silly to even think of needing two cars for a resort vacation. Even when stuff is relatively close at hand, the roads are unfriendly for walking.
- The food was subpar. We ended up having several meals in Harrisonburg 20 minutes away

I can imagine we might have had a nicer experience either during the ski season or in summer, when there would be more activities that would make up for some of the negatives. All in all, though, while we had a fine time for not too much money, I'd consider this more of a low-key weekend away than a destination. Also: bring food with you.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank novel_screenname
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I absolutely loved this place for a couple years, but now have gotten to the point where I won't even book here again. The customer service and the arrogance of management is just unimaginable. Even the timeshare salespeople are frustrated with the drop in quality of service and numerous complaints.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Resort was nice. Unit was quiet and available wi-fi was excellent. Resented the extreme pressure to attend a sales breakfast right at check-in and then persistent phone calls when we declined. We did finally go. They promised in at 8:30a - out no later than 10:30a, that was not true. They held us much longer withholding the promised $200 gift card to get us to stay. Inaccurate information provided at this sales breakfast and initial promises were later withdrawn.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank jbpahl
Reviewed 2 April 2018

Dirty carpet removed shoes, socks became filthy. Water leaking onto floor under kitchen sink and shower head kept falling. Maintenance did come and repair eventually. Could not get sound sleep unless, I slept during the daytime. In the bedroom, I had to listen to the sound of TV coming from another unit. In the living room, I had to listen to screaming screaming children early in the morning and late at night. I do not blame the kids. Cheap and poorly constructed facilities make it easy for the resort to make large sums of money annually with no regard for the comfort of adult travelers.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo