“South Beach Style Hotel in San Juan's Isla Verde”

San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Isla Verde
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Old hotel renovated and looks just like the Miami South Beach Hotels.The location is very good in that it is on a nice beach. The rooms are very small, but the amenities are good. Someone knew what they were doing when they laid out the rooms. The wall unit air conditioners can be a problem in that they make noise when they go on and off at night. The staff is excellent.Their are many restaurants that one can walk to in the area.

Room Tip: Try a corner room that does not connect to an adjacent room.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,400)

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Stayed here for three days in August . . . One night in an ocean front room with balcony, and then we downgraded to a no-view room in the back. The ocean-balcony room was almost $100 more per night (including taxes) but well worth it. Wish we'd kept that room for the entire three days.

This hotel was a tiny bit worn around a some of the edges (if you look closely), and lacked some of the amenities I would have expected in this price range. No fridge or microwave even in the ocean-front room, and no safe in the room with no view.

However, this place more than made up for these minor nit-picks with STYLE and SERVICE. Location was also a huge plus, right on the beach on one side; stores, restaurants, car rental, Walgreen's, etc. on the other side.

My wife and I really enjoyed the cool atmosphere of the whole place. Joylene at the front desk spent quite a bit of time giving us suggestions on what to see and do in Old San Juan. The fellow working at the beach (didn't catch his name) was on the spot with chairs and towels, and when my wife asked for an umbrella he was there with a post-hole digger a minute later. Turns out digging the hole for the umbrella was necessary because by mid-day, the trade winds were blowing fiercely. But that umbrella never budged. And Valerie at the rooftop bar was great; friendly, very patient & helpful when we were indecisive.

One thing I was concerned about from reading the reviews before we stayed there was that it would have had a party atmosphere; but we were looking for a relaxing, laid back vacation. However we did not find this to be the case at all. The rooms are removed enough from the bar and restaurant that noise late at night was not a factor. The atmosphere was a great balance/mix of fun and relaxing.

I highly recommend.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 August 2012

My daughter and I checked in Aug 22 at 2 am -- our flight was delayed by 8 hours, so obviously we just want to rest as our first tour acitivity is picking us up at 8:20 am (same day with maybe 3 hours sleep). So we signed the check-in docs away and got a 2nd floor room. All there is in the room are 2 beds, no tables (one teeny night stand enough to put the phone, a pen and small pad), no counter space to put anything. The bathroom was very small with no counter space at all,one teeny mirror in the bathroom (the only mirror in the room). The view was of the ugly roof of a building next door with a chain link parking lot. I asked for a better room but all they have are king size rooms if we want a view and will have to pay additional $70 per night. I showed my voucher that indicates that if available, can be upgraded (hopefully at no cost). I did not fuzz to much about it coz we will be out of the hotel for activities that day and the day after -- we got back to our room late for the next 2 nites, and we were so tired that we just want a warm shower and go to bed. The a/c was right next to the one bed so it was cold while the other bed was close to the bathroom door. The room was very very small for hotel standard. The elevator did not have ventilation so we took the stairs up and down. The day before we were checking out, I decided to break my piggy and upgraded to a "partial view" room. They wanted $70 + tax for a balcony room (the balcony was 1 foot from the door so I am not sure why it is a balcony room, there is just a railing right of the small sliding door. The partial view room was $30 + tax, a peek-a-boo of the beach. So I went for the partial view --The faucet is missing the handle, the shower fixture moves in and out of the wall when you turn the shower along with the shower head because it is not caulked on the wall. The following day was check-out day, by this time, the front desk and hotel employees already know us. We spent the morning at the beach, came back to the room and showered, packed our bags and went down to use the computer to print our boarding passes. The computer room is no more than 10 steps from the lobby. The day before I asked the front desk what time was check out and told her our pick up to the airport was 2:45 pm, she said whenever we are ready so I was impressed -- BUT HOLD ON, when I was checking out, my final bill included an extra $115 + tax for late check-out. We were just downstairs not far from the reception and the snooty and bad attitude manager told us that we had to pay for not checking out at noon. I argued that I was told we can check out anytime prior to 2:45 pm (this is about 1:30sh pm), the hotel is not crowded (we were the only ones there so I am sure no one is inconvenienced) and we were ready downstairs, just did not pull our luggage that had been already ready just off the door of our room. We went upstairs but our room keys did not work anymore so we went back down to the reception to have a new key issued. The manager told me that she can give me a discount and will charge $70+tax so I argued again so she lowed it to $30 +tax --- this is SO ROTTEN! She just walked just passed us and frowned on us. A hotel employee knocked at our door just around 1 pm but said nothing about the check out. We walked passed the reception to use the computer and no one said anything about check out. They knew that we were just waiting downstairs....The worse customer service esp. from the manager who must be fired! Sorry good employees, hopefully this is not a reflection of you. Will never ever come back to this hotel. I basically paid for a Motel 6 at a premium price. At least fix the bathroom fixtures if you are charging more. I WANT A REFUND OF MY $30+ tax!!!! I will contest this charge when my credit card bill comes. Motel 6 should be the name of this "Hotel". This is not a family hotel. No useable pool or spa. Friendly employees except for the manager.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
19  Thank Mary B
Reviewed 23 August 2012

After our “rehearsal dinner” on Friday night, with our family from places as far away and diverse as New Mexico, New Jersey, Germany, New York, North Carolina, Conneticutt, Florida and Texas, including Chef Carlos Portela and people who have appreciated good food around the world, we gave a standing ovation to the offerings of Chef Raul Correa and his staff.
Now we’d like to recognize the attention we received from all of you during our stay in the hotel. It equally deserves our applause.
Our friends and family congratulated us for having chosen the San Juan Water Beach Club Hotel, and told us that they’d never received better service in any hotel, anywhere in the world.
Many thanks, Nailin, Betsy, Chef Correa and the whole staff, for having made our special day even more memorable!

Chuck e ICA

(Castro-Smith)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ICA2012
Reviewed 23 August 2012 via mobile

Thank you for your hospitality.. It was great seeing Virna. She's always smiling and offering help to make sure you have a good time... The hotel is getting better with each stay... Thanks again, Richard

• Stayed: August 2012
0.4 km away
InterContinental San Juan
InterContinental San Juan
#6 of 13 in Isla Verde

Been to San Juan Water & Beach Club Hotel? Share your experiences!