“Worst Chicharrón I've ever tried in Peru”

Picanteria La Dorita
Ranked #225 of 603 Restaurants in Arequipa Region
Price range: USD 2 - USD 15
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

The Chicharron served by this restaurant was SO BAD. Trust me, as an eastern Asian, we know how to cook/fry pork (belly and rinds) right. Not to mention that I had already tried at least 10 portions of Chicharrones across Peru during the past 3 weeks, and this was undoubtedly THE WORST. I came to this resto for late lunch at around 3pm, and I was served with a big portion of chicharron, but my overjoy was immediately dampened, the pork was SO HARD and DRY to cut apart that it almost broke my fork (see photo), it looked like some leftover pieces from lunch or even the previous day. Chicharron should be crispy outside and tender inside, not like these tasteless chunks that make you feel like you are chewing wax. DEF NOT RECOMMEND.

Reviewed 10 January 2017 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend got very sick after eating there. It was good and tasty, but something was not well prepared. Even my boyfriend got sick, he's from south america and has a good and strong stomach!

2  Thank Nina S
Reviewed 22 November 2016 via mobile

Nice atmosphere full of locals! Plenty of choice in the lunch set menu: 12 soles and 13 soles on Sundays. I loved the recotto relleno! With a good pastel De Papas. The service is fast, we even got appetizers and a dessert for free :) Mrs Dorita is friendly as well as all the waitresses.

Reviewed 26 June 2016 via mobile

Not fancy but a really nice authentic place right down the street from the amazing church. The Chupe may have been one of the greatest dishes that I had in Peru, like a corn and shrimp chowder of the gods. Mains were good too. And cheap. The staff was extremely nice and even gave us a taste of their amazing chicha and some wheat pudding dessert.

Reviewed 14 April 2016

Soo after you arrive Dorita will greet you with a big smile. And if you ask her you soon will become a "expert" in food from Arequipa. This is not a fancy restaurant and don't want to be. This a restaurant with typical Arequipean food and most of its customer are locals (not tourists).