I got married at Merecumbe early September 2011 and I couldn't be happier with the hotel's preparation, organization, and execution of the event. We had about 50 guests and had the hotel to ourselves for the weekend. We were looking for beautiful beaches, zero tourists, and a more personalized touch than your standard brand name hotel where your just another guest. After looking at several options ranging from renting a private cabin, to Decameron, Santorini, Koralia etc) we chose Merecumbe and couldn't have been happier.
Merecumbe is a family owned business, where each member's love is poured into their area of expertise.
- Edgar, the father, is the architect that designed the beautiful cabins that simultaneously fit into the natural environment and have just the right touch of simple luxury. Edgar designed special pieces for the wedding, including unique center pieces for the dinner tables and some nifty torches for the aisle.
- Cami, the daughter, is the Chef that prepares the hotel's delicious meals - including fabulous vegetarian options!
- Andrea, the mother, is the administrator that made sure all the pieces came together perfectly.
We couldn't have been happier with the service and by the end of the weekend we all felt like family. They made every effort imaginable to accommodate our needs and surpass our expectations.
The enormous beach is spattered with palm trees and kiosks with hammocks so one can choose amongst a couple settings to relax on while enjoying the sand. The hotel also has a building by the ocean where they offer massages. The sand does get surprisingly hot though, so be sure to bring sandals to walk to the ocean. On a similar note, don't forget insect repellant and don't leave the cabin doors open - Merecumbe is nested into nature and so has hidden netting built into the cabin to keep insects out, but not if you leave the door open!
The highlight of the cabins without a doubt are the open air showers. There's a ~6ft wall for privacy and a roof to keep the rain out, but the otherwise open shower allows one to feel close to nature while having the comforts you'd expect from a hotel.
Merecumbe is a good hour from Santa Marta airport, and just 10 minutes from Tayrona National Park. It is far away from the common tourist path which means that you can relax with gorgeous views of the ocean on one side and mountains on the other without having hordes of tourists or vendors along the beach harassing you. In fact, if there isn't anyone else at the hotel, I doubt you'll see any. The only other people we saw the whole weekend were a couple artesian fisherman with nets.
I highly recommend Merecumbe to anyone who wants to get away from things, likes nature and outdoors but wants the comforts of a hotel. Although I think Merecumbe offers the option for people to bring tents and camp which would be an interesting thing to try out too.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- For those who want quiet vacations in the beach ::: Merecumbe is a magical and green place to "unplug" yourself from daily life.Located in the lonely beaches of the Sierra Nevada in Santa Marta, there's an amazing landscape and lots of places to visit! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia APAC, Wotif.com, lastminute.com.au, Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your Merecumbe Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.