See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 10 August 2014

So when we checked into the hotel, we were directed to the elevators, which were not working. So we carried our own bags up the stairs and found our room. We tried to turn on the Air Conditioning, but it did not work. We thought it might be due to the sliding door not being fully closed, but we checked, the door closed (tho there was a curious latch that was swinging freely), but the AC still wouldn't work. So I tried to call down to reception, but the phone did not work. I walked back downstairs to speak to the receptionist who told me that the repairman didn't start work until 1600 but that she would send him up directly. At 1615 he had not arrived so I went down to ask. Another older woman was there and she seemed irritated that I was asking about that repairman since I wasn't interested in staying in a room with no air conditioning and no phone and no latch on the sliding door. Finally he came running upstairs....and his "repair" consisted of slamming the sliding door open and shut several times until the AC finally came on. But then the sliding door wouldn't open. So he tried to call down to someone else? and also discovered the broken phone. He didn't speak English so couldn't communicate his intentions but left for another 15 mins or so. When he returned he broke into the door to unlatch it, and then made some tweaks before finally "fixing" the problem. He promised to return to fix the phone but did not for the 2 days we were there. The pool area is very nice, but the bar, attended by 1 person at first, was very slow. They are not used to having a large amount of guests, apparently. They quickly ran out of glassware and did not have time/personnel to pick up glasses from the tables of current patrons. The breakfast and dinner buffets have a good selection, and I was pleased with that, but the ordering of water/wine/beer at the entry prevented folks from getting into the dining area right away. There needs to be a better way to handle that. The hotel is not near the beach nor town, but you can use the hotel shuttle (a small 7 person van, no Air Conditioning) which traverses to/from the beach 4 times per day (1000, 1200, 1400, 1900). Make sure you let them know when you plan to ride the shuttle else they may not be there for you. The room itself is okay with a balcony facing some houses. The room has tile floors (to clean up from the sand??) and the sheets/covers are worn/old. Black out curtains was nice, but insufficient to block out the porch light that was on until 11pm or later each evening. Wifi only in the lobby, and limited to a certain number of persons. Due to a large group of folks coming in, we were unable to get access to the internet until someone (in one case it was the 2 teenage receptionists) logged off. The bathroom was okay sized, but could use updating, along with the rest of the hotel. But the water pressure was decent, so that was a good sign. Again, this hotel could be a great one, if there was better management...

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank TandCfromHawaii
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The hotel has gained the 4* status probabley due to the facilities, no problem with the hotel,staff and rooms clean. For a 4* hotel I would have expected shower gel and shampoo with soap in the bath room but no, 2sachets of shampoo and a small soap was what we got, the same as shearings hotels and they do not rate their hotels as 4* usually 2*, also rubbish was left in the room. The bar was on the outside of the hotel building close to the pool ( very nice pool), however the staff allowed guests to take bottles and glasses to the pool side where on a few days quite a number of children were playing, no plastic tumblers no health and safety either.
The first night we arrived late and paid 18 euro for evening meal not a great selection to choose from 1 fish 1chicken and a chef cooking steak, as stringy as a tennis racket, didnt eat there again.
Found better eateries in town at half the price, thank goodness we were b&b. The breakfast was superb, the chef cooked egg and bacon to order when you could find him.On Sunday morning with a lot of guests there was a queue of 12 waiting for eggs and bacon. We had boiled eggs and cold ham instead.
Would we go again, yes, on b&b only with continental breakfast

Room Tip: We were facing the pool in a quiet room 3rd floor,had no problems, only saturday night entertainment the rest of the week no entertainment.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 September 2013

A one night stay as a stop over before driving back to the UK and from reading the previous reviews I was concerned, but the sat nav directions were correct and we arrived with no problems.
We had decided to get there early and get some sun and make use of the pool, arrived at 15.00 and was checked into our 2 rooms without problem.
Room overlooking the pool, nice clean bathroom and décor. TV was as reported and a 12 inch old style portable up so high you could not see it, no remote and no English programmes, OK for 1 night but not what I would accept for a longer stay.
Outside pool was superb if a little cold but once you get in its fine, lifeguard on duty which I thought was a nice touch.
Plus points are the pool, parking and the breakfast, surprisingly I did not read any positive comments on the latter but this was a 4 star hotels breakfast with pancakes and eggs made to order and a good selection of bread, croissants, cold meats and cheeses.
So my message to the hotel, get the TV with International programmes and Internet connection in the rooms and you would go to very good or excellent.
Regarding your staff I am happy to report no problems with a friendly receptionist and 2 bar staff in the evening were pleasant and polite. The waitress for breakfast was also excellent.

Room Tip: pool view is the best
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We are staying in the hotel at present and we are disappointed to the point of tears. We booked after seeing the pictures on their website. On arrival we got a terrible green room, with a mouldy bathroom and a small terrace that overlooks the entrance roof and the road on the side. After speaking to reception, they gave us no options, and could not care less about my disappointment. They did not apologise or made any attempt to find me an alternative room for that night of the following night. When I told them I would leave, the receptionist did not blink and the reception manager did not even come outside to meet me.
The location is poor too, specially if you do not have a car as it is far from the beach and you have to cross a main road.
Poor poor service, never felt so unappreciated as a customer ever before and I bet they will not do anything about this review while I am here for 3 more night.
Do nor recommend at all!!
They seem confused about being a 3 star or a 4 star, and I think they should be a 2 star pushing it and just because of the pool

Room Tip: If you HAVE to book and have no other option, make sure they confirm your room will look like the pictures on the website. If they answer they cannot guarantee...do not book!
1  Thank YTLYTL
Reviewed 12 August 2013

First off, this is not a 4 star hotel. Despite what their website says. And the usual booking sites say, this is no 4* hotel. They told me that they lost that status is May and are "working towards" regaining it.

Let´s leave aside the economy with the truth on their website shall we? And say instead that, if they are aiming to be 4* once more they have a long way to go!

The staff on reception are great - but they don´t speak English. Nobody does. So brush up on your French and Spanish. And this hotel is NOT in Roses. It is 2 miles away. Just far enough to be an utter pain.

Our room was, to say the least, smelly. So was the corridor outside. The air conditioning stopped working on night 2. And what 4* hotel doesn´t have hair dryers in rooms? Or bins?

I asked to speak to the mananger. He was "on the phone" or "doesn´t arrive till 1pm." (I wish I had a job that started at 1pm!!) When he was here, he refused to speak to me. Point blank refused. Left his receptionists to deal with me. Who were charming but just as exasperated as me with the manager´s attitude. (As an aside I was at reception at the same time as a gentleman in a wheelchair who had arrived to find his disabled access room had been given to another guest!!)

The decor is tired. The staff seem hacked off. Drinks are slammed down in front of you with not a word. The whole place is a depressing thrwo back to the 80s

On the plus side, the pool is lovely. If a tad chilly.

My advice? Book elsewhere!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
San Carlos R, Owner at Hotel San Carlos, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Dear guest,

First of all thanks for taking your time in expressing your opinion and sharing your stay at our hotel. I like to begin saying that it is really difficult to deal with opinions like yours and not sound evasive. However, I will try. I am M.Lluïsa the owner of the hotel and I work dayly with the hotel from the backoffice and I am aware of what happens in it every day.

We are a 4 star hotel since February 2013. You can check it for yourself in the officially registered hotels in the following link: http://establimentsturistics.gencat.cat/rtcwebguies/AppJava/Hotels.jsp?pst=2. We would like to clarify that stars category are given in Spain after an exhaustive inspection that certifies that all issues/rules/features related to the new category are accomplished, and I have to say it is not easy. There is a list with lots of features and rules to accomplish and we do achieved ALL of them. There are regular visits of inspectors every year and, you can take for sure that we would lose the 4th star immediately if we didn't accomplish all the requisits again.

We are new in this category and we still have a way to go. It is a big challenge for us, we did invested a lot, and we still have to adapt other important things: personnel should speak English, and some of our staff do not speak it fluently, and some do not speak it at all, that's true. And we still have to invest even more in order to satisfy all of our guests requirements, like TV. In fact, we are already changing them. Some of the rooms have new TV's, but it will not be until next season until we'll be able to change them all.

We are aware of that and that's because our rates are more similar to the ones of 3 star hotels than 4 star hotels of our location.

The hotel is not in the center of Roses. We are 2 km away from it, in a quite residence area. In order to compensate our guests for that, we offer free parking and a free shuttle service to the center. We never tried to hide it, it's obvious we would fail in the attempt, and that's why in our website we say it (http://www.hotel-sancarlos.com/hotel.php?idm=3). You can also find the exact GPS coordenates, with no mistakes: I've already checked it again.

Why your room was smelly or the corridor I cannot say now, but we assure you ours is not an smelly hotel. Our best score in on-line reservation websites can confirm that: all guests tend to say ours is a very clean hotel. We will review if there is any problem with the air conditioning. However, if there was something wrong during your stay, you could say it (I think you did and you said about the air-conditioning and we change the room). We have 2 maintenance operators in order to mend everything broken. And we do have hair-dryers ath our guests disposal: you can rent them at the reception.

About the manager being unaccessible, I have to say I’m very sorry. This is not our way of working. There is no excuse for you being unattended, but he was dealing with another issue at that time. We are a team and when there are different issues to look into at the same time, different people of our staff are assigned to deal with the best they can solve or manage. It is very difficult to say this to someone with your complaints, because we have only one manager, but he was really busy at the time. He may have arrived that day at 1pm, but he may have been to the bank or in a meeting or visiting some suppliers... I can assure you that he does more that 10 hours a day, he is always the last to go home every day and that he is always around.

About the deco: We prefer functional furniture than a other deco. We have photos in Tripadvisor, in our Facebook, and everywhere... Some people do not like it, it's true.

And about the drinks slammed down in front of you with no word, I will personally look into it. Our guests satisfaction is our priority, and we work very very hard to give you a great stay. Prove of it are guests of ours that are coming for the 10th or 12th year in a row, some of them staying for a full month. It's a pity that I cannot demonstrate it to you, because these guests do not leave opinions every time they come, they just keep coming back every year.

After reading your opinion I understand your disappointment, and I can only say that I'm very sorry you had such a terrible holidays at Hotel San Carlos. I only hope that your opinion and my comments help other guests to leverage their expectations because we don't pretend to be what we are not, and we try to provide our guests of all the information we can in our website, social-media, on-line agencies, etc..

Yours sincerely, M.Lluisa V.