See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 12 August 2013

First off, this is not a 4 star hotel. Despite what their website says. And the usual booking sites say, this is no 4* hotel. They told me that they lost that status is May and are "working towards" regaining it.

Let´s leave aside the economy with the truth on their website shall we? And say instead that, if they are aiming to be 4* once more they have a long way to go!

The staff on reception are great - but they don´t speak English. Nobody does. So brush up on your French and Spanish. And this hotel is NOT in Roses. It is 2 miles away. Just far enough to be an utter pain.

Our room was, to say the least, smelly. So was the corridor outside. The air conditioning stopped working on night 2. And what 4* hotel doesn´t have hair dryers in rooms? Or bins?

I asked to speak to the mananger. He was "on the phone" or "doesn´t arrive till 1pm." (I wish I had a job that started at 1pm!!) When he was here, he refused to speak to me. Point blank refused. Left his receptionists to deal with me. Who were charming but just as exasperated as me with the manager´s attitude. (As an aside I was at reception at the same time as a gentleman in a wheelchair who had arrived to find his disabled access room had been given to another guest!!)

The decor is tired. The staff seem hacked off. Drinks are slammed down in front of you with not a word. The whole place is a depressing thrwo back to the 80s

On the plus side, the pool is lovely. If a tad chilly.

My advice? Book elsewhere!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
San Carlos R, Owner at Hotel San Carlos, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2013

Dear guest,

First of all thanks for taking your time in expressing your opinion and sharing your stay at our hotel. I like to begin saying that it is really difficult to deal with opinions like yours and not sound evasive. However, I will try. I am M.Lluïsa the owner of the hotel and I work dayly with the hotel from the backoffice and I am aware of what happens in it every day.

We are a 4 star hotel since February 2013. You can check it for yourself in the officially registered hotels in the following link: http://establimentsturistics.gencat.cat/rtcwebguies/AppJava/Hotels.jsp?pst=2. We would like to clarify that stars category are given in Spain after an exhaustive inspection that certifies that all issues/rules/features related to the new category are accomplished, and I have to say it is not easy. There is a list with lots of features and rules to accomplish and we do achieved ALL of them. There are regular visits of inspectors every year and, you can take for sure that we would lose the 4th star immediately if we didn't accomplish all the requisits again.

We are new in this category and we still have a way to go. It is a big challenge for us, we did invested a lot, and we still have to adapt other important things: personnel should speak English, and some of our staff do not speak it fluently, and some do not speak it at all, that's true. And we still have to invest even more in order to satisfy all of our guests requirements, like TV. In fact, we are already changing them. Some of the rooms have new TV's, but it will not be until next season until we'll be able to change them all.

We are aware of that and that's because our rates are more similar to the ones of 3 star hotels than 4 star hotels of our location.

The hotel is not in the center of Roses. We are 2 km away from it, in a quite residence area. In order to compensate our guests for that, we offer free parking and a free shuttle service to the center. We never tried to hide it, it's obvious we would fail in the attempt, and that's why in our website we say it (http://www.hotel-sancarlos.com/hotel.php?idm=3). You can also find the exact GPS coordenates, with no mistakes: I've already checked it again.

Why your room was smelly or the corridor I cannot say now, but we assure you ours is not an smelly hotel. Our best score in on-line reservation websites can confirm that: all guests tend to say ours is a very clean hotel. We will review if there is any problem with the air conditioning. However, if there was something wrong during your stay, you could say it (I think you did and you said about the air-conditioning and we change the room). We have 2 maintenance operators in order to mend everything broken. And we do have hair-dryers ath our guests disposal: you can rent them at the reception.

About the manager being unaccessible, I have to say I’m very sorry. This is not our way of working. There is no excuse for you being unattended, but he was dealing with another issue at that time. We are a team and when there are different issues to look into at the same time, different people of our staff are assigned to deal with the best they can solve or manage. It is very difficult to say this to someone with your complaints, because we have only one manager, but he was really busy at the time. He may have arrived that day at 1pm, but he may have been to the bank or in a meeting or visiting some suppliers... I can assure you that he does more that 10 hours a day, he is always the last to go home every day and that he is always around.

About the deco: We prefer functional furniture than a other deco. We have photos in Tripadvisor, in our Facebook, and everywhere... Some people do not like it, it's true.

And about the drinks slammed down in front of you with no word, I will personally look into it. Our guests satisfaction is our priority, and we work very very hard to give you a great stay. Prove of it are guests of ours that are coming for the 10th or 12th year in a row, some of them staying for a full month. It's a pity that I cannot demonstrate it to you, because these guests do not leave opinions every time they come, they just keep coming back every year.

After reading your opinion I understand your disappointment, and I can only say that I'm very sorry you had such a terrible holidays at Hotel San Carlos. I only hope that your opinion and my comments help other guests to leverage their expectations because we don't pretend to be what we are not, and we try to provide our guests of all the information we can in our website, social-media, on-line agencies, etc..

Yours sincerely, M.Lluisa V.

Reviewed 19 September 2012

I`ve spent here 2 weeks with my husband and daughter (3 years). We liked practically everything - interior, the level of the comfort, servise, landscape. Two outdoor swimming pools (one small for children and one 30/15, my daughter prefered big one) and one indoor (it was opened when it was raining or strong wind), not big but confortable enough. Staff was more than frendly, impressive traditional food for dinner. Generally, we are very satisfied (for this price we expected less). Some criticism: unstable wi-fi, no hot drinks for dinner, no entertainments for children (for example, childrens discotecs would be nice).

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 August 2012

My cousin and I booked this hotel for a last minute holiday.....

It is tucked down a side road and hard to find at first (but that is because the transfer company were rubbish - not the place!). On arrival we were greeted by the friendliest doorman who helped us into the lift. The room is perfectly fine, our room had three beds, wardrobe and a safety box. The shower is powerful, it does flood the floor but put a towel on the floor after and it's fine! The beds are perfectly comfortable and there is a nice big mirror :-)

It is located close to everything - the beach, restaurants, bars etc. The best thing about the place is the staff - they are so lovely and really helpful, we absolutely loved all of them, they don't speak much English (but what do you expect, it's Spain!) but they are so nice!!!!

Only thing is do not expect any privacy - our room was located right in front of someone elses room, our windows facing. This didn't bother us as we were are two 25 year olds so only went for the beach and clubs! The decor is a little dated but for the purpose of our holiday it was fantastic! They come and make the bed and leave clean towels everyday too! I was expecting much worse seeing as it is more of a hostel than hotel.

I would definitely go back to this hotel again! I recommend it to anyone who doesn't plan on being staying indoors because it does the job! Plus you feel secure as there is constant door staff who have your keys. We did padlock our luggage but that wasn't fear of staff - just peace of mind.

If you are a family, or have children I do not recommend it but if you are going just for a beach and party holiday I say definitely go for it!!!!

Room Tip: try and ask for a room at the front so that you are not facing anyone elses room if possible.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 6 days. The swimming pool was great. The furniture in the rooms is indeed very oldfashioned and our beds were separate... The food is not really great, not much variation, many fried food, bad serving system (you have to wait in line untill the waiter scans your roomkey, than you have to pay for your drinks, and than sometimes you have to wait untill somebody makes up your table). We liked the man who made pancakes in the morning, we called him "Freddy the pancake man". Breakfast is ok but no chocolate or honey, and very strange juice that tastes very sour. Waiters are a bit rude, they looked overstressed (we think that the hotel is really understaffed). In the morning, there was a lot of noise of screaming children... The cleaners do their job good! Fitness room is too hot in summer, it needs airco.
We wouldn't recommend it to our friends, although you get what you paid for.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2010

We stayed in this hotel for 8 nights with two young children and also had another room for our parents. The rooms were very small and the beds worn out. we were on the 2nd floor with a good view of the swimming pool but the railings on the balconies didn't look secure enough for our two young kids. The room for our parents had a leak around the toilets. They managed to change both our rooms next day to the ground floor. We were happy with our room as the kids had more space to play in the terrace. However as we were facing the swimming pool end, the noise from the music in the bar would be so loud in the evenings. This went on till 12am.

The rooms are nothing like the ones shown on the websites. They are all pretty much the same size just with different number of beds ie 4 single beds for quadruple rooms. Some of the mattresses had springs showing.

Apart from the room the actual hotel was great. The swimming pool was huge. The buffet was amazing. different food out each day. Also great if you’re a fish and a stake lover. The staff were kind enough to provide me with fresh milk in the evening for my kids. The staff were very helpful. The mini bust to the beach was great. Good holiday once we were settled in.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family